Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [1]

Old October 28th, 2017, 06:06 PM   #21
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Default Re: Sex and Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniebanannie View Post
I don't think I'm ready to say how God intends anything, except for me.
Well I don't think I'm saying anything new that scripture doesn't say anyway. Each person is judged by their own book. (Their own actions/works). It says it in Revelations and in other NT books as well.

Parents cannot make their children obedient to God, it's that persons choice in the end. But society (esp. Religious parents or guardians) really don't accept that.

They go beyond, here's the bible this is what the faith teaches, and they start getting controlling, and start sheltering their children, at the danger of keeping them naive on how to deal with the real world. (What does the boggieman look like, what's sex, where do babies come from etc.)

So you see how it starts off well, but then false doctrines get applied to such households?
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 01:44 PM   #22
JuliaVT

Name: Julia

Totally agree that the earlier onset of puberty and later marriages in modern society has made it much more difficult for us to adhere to religious standards set by parents or churches.

Also, when parents impose these beliefs, I find it takes away a part of my privacy, like everything has to occur in secrecy. The worst part is that my parents aren't a resource. I can't ask them questions, share any of my emotions, or feel that they support me and understand what I'm feeling. They're just there to be judgmental. It also limits access to birth control, because of course, I'm not supposed to even be thinking about sex. Personally, I know I could use condoms, but that's about it. And right now an 85% effective rate doesn't make me comfortable. Like, if I have sex only 7 times, the probability is that I'd get pregnant one of those times??? No way! It forces teen like me in a more rural setting to either take the risk, totally ignore sexual feelings (not happening) or find some other form of sexual satisfaction like masturbation (solo or mutual) or oral or the appropriately named Christian position. It's like trying to reconcile your feelings and behavior with your own religious beliefs AND those of your parents as well. For me and some of my friends (including my bf) that's really hard.
JuliaVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 02:50 PM   #23
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaVT View Post
Totally agree that the earlier onset of puberty and later marriages in modern society has made it much more difficult for us to adhere to religious standards set by parents or churches.

Also, when parents impose these beliefs, I find it takes away a part of my privacy, like everything has to occur in secrecy. The worst part is that my parents aren't a resource. I can't ask them questions, share any of my emotions, or feel that they support me and understand what I'm feeling. They're just there to be judgmental. It also limits access to birth control, because of course, I'm not supposed to even be thinking about sex. Personally, I know I could use condoms, but that's about it. And right now an 85% effective rate doesn't make me comfortable. Like, if I have sex only 7 times, the probability is that I'd get pregnant one of those times??? No way! It forces teen like me in a more rural setting to either take the risk, totally ignore sexual feelings (not happening) or find some other form of sexual satisfaction like masturbation (solo or mutual) or oral or the appropriately named Christian position. It's like trying to reconcile your feelings and behavior with your own religious beliefs AND those of your parents as well. For me and some of my friends (including my bf) that's really hard.

You understand what I'm saying.

And you see how I've also used scripture to dispel some of the common misconceptions of what the faith considers bad.

The line: "thinking about sex = sin"

That's a false doctrine it's not supported by scripture at all, acting upon it sure, but just the thought of it...no. But most of the populace doesn't challenge it, and believes it, and gets caught in the angst and guilt because they want to please their parents or God.

I've always thought the faith was simply asking us to look at our flaws, acknowledge them, not suppress or bury them. But in all things move onward with life knowing what you need to ask forgiveness for.

I think another part of this issue is what does it mean to "repent" and follow Christ.

There are two competing views, that seem to contradict, the first is Jesus forgives and you sin no more.

The other is I sin, I ask for forgiveness, I sin again rinse repeat....

It was around the 1950's & 60's I believe televangelism blurred the meaning of what it means to accept Christ.

It helped people hear about Him and accept him, but not in terms of motivating actual behavior change.

The concepts clashing are:

1). What it means to be eternally saved? How do you know you are?

2). Backsliding Christians; is that phenomenon possible. Is the doctrine of eternal security soundly scripturally supported?

It's interesting to contrast what many viewed repentance as in the 1800's where deliverance from a sinful life in forgiveness was thought to be a much slower process.

Back then, the view was highly critical of the "fruits" of once's labour, being good or bad, to be an indicator (so not a method of salvation) to test if one truly had been saved by "Faith alone". Because if the Holy Spirit is in you, then no action from you should be sinful anymore, because from a spiritual point of you, you become an extension of God, as Christ is to the Father, through Christ.

The old way argues that what modern day Christians call "falling away" indicates that individual was never saved and never knew God to begin with.

Last edited by Uniquemind; October 29th, 2017 at 03:47 PM.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote