Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old October 9th, 2017, 06:07 PM   #1
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Stronk Serb's Forum Picture

Default Serbian regional party supports Catalan separatists

Quote:
A Serbian regional party seeking more autonomy for the northern province of Vojvodina said it supports the Catalan government's plan to hold a referendum on independence from Spain on Sunday.

Bojan Kostres, the vice president of the League of Social Democrats of Vojvodina, LSV, said that citizens of Catalonia and the northern Serbian province of Vojvodina both have the right to decide on their own fate.

Kostres said that his party supports Esquerra Republicana de Catalunya (Republican Left of Catalonia), which advocates independence for Catalonia, and the controversial referendum on Sunday.

“We think it is much better for democracy in Europe and for democracy in Spain, in particular, that Spain accepts the differences that exist between Spain and Catalonia, and to listens to the will of the citizens of Catalonia,” Kostres told BIRN.

The Catalan government plans to hold the referendum on independence in defiance of a ban by the Constitutional Court and opposition from the Spanish government.

The LSV is known for criticising the Serbian central authorities’ treatment of Vojvodina, which is an autonomous province in the country.

The LSV wants more money for Vojvodina and wider autonomy, but Serbian nationalists see it as a threat to the country’s unity and often call it a ‘separatist’ party.
Full article here

This does not really surprise me. LSV has passive tendencies for Vojvodinian separatism. Most commonly by asserting they are all Vojvodinians first. Also they constantly cry about some of the money they give to the national budget not coming back. While, yes they contribute 40% of the national budget, the County of Belgrade contributes the same if not more, yet we get mere scraps and leftovers of that money, yet we do not complain.

I think this is a clear message to separatist parties that they have the LSV's (at least, as we know) oral support, and if LSV tries something like that with Vojvodina, they expect the same support of the separatist parties.

Also that tweet translated means "The will of the Catalans will not be broken, neither with force nor anything else. (My) Support."

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
"Democracy is a dictatorship of the fools"
-Friedrich von Schiller (1759 1805)
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 11:15 AM   #2
ShineintheDark
Nice Poster

Name: Magnus
Default Re: Serbian regional party supports Catalan separatists

As I said in the other topic on this issue, whether we may personally agree with the independence movements or not, the fact that they do deserve some sort of referendum or survey on the matter is completely separate. There's no point in politicians debating such a thing if they don't know the true will of the people, whether correct in your eyes or not. In that way, the similarities between the issues means it's obvious that LSV would back them in exchange for similar support.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 07:04 PM   #3
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Stronk Serb's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineintheDark View Post
As I said in the other topic on this issue, whether we may personally agree with the independence movements or not, the fact that they do deserve some sort of referendum or survey on the matter is completely separate. There's no point in politicians debating such a thing if they don't know the true will of the people, whether correct in your eyes or not. In that way, the similarities between the issues means it's obvious that LSV would back them in exchange for similar support.
This is a pure media spin on the LSV's side. Sure Vojvodina would be better off at first when separating from Serbia, but Serbia can just embargo Vojvodina for the separation or just seize Vojvodinian assets in Serbia. That would economically cripple them since Vojvodina is very dependent on banking and trade from Belgrade and from the southern parts they so despise.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
"Democracy is a dictatorship of the fools"
-Friedrich von Schiller (1759 1805)
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 07:05 AM   #4
ShineintheDark
Nice Poster

Name: Magnus

You misunderstand me, I'm not saying they WOULD be better off independent, I'm saying the government really should just as the people straight up. If they grant it or not is a separate issue, I'm just saying they really should get a scope of how popular the idea actually is.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote