Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old October 5th, 2017, 02:32 PM   #1
Living For Love
VT Lover

Living For Love's Forum Picture

Name: Tiago
Default He was shot in the leg in Las Vegas. He still stood up for the President.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/05/us...rnd/index.html

Quote:
Thomas Gunderson was one of the almost 500 people wounded in the Las Vegas shooting attack at the Route 91 Harvest Festival last weekend.

He was hospitalized with a gunshot wound to the leg.

Gunderson was laying in his hospital bed Wednesday when President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump swung by. The President and First Lady went to Las Vegas to meet and talk with survivors of the shooting, as well as first responders, doctors and nurses during the visit.

As Trump neared Gunderson's hospital room, the wounded man made it a point, despite his leg injury, to stand up when the President entered his room.

"I will never lie down when the President of this great country comes to shake my hand!" Gunderson wrote on the Facebook video he posted of the brief meeting. "There may be plenty of issues in this country but I will always respect my country, my president and my flag. Shot in the leg or not, I will stand to show my President the respect he deserves!"

The video has been viewed millions of times.

In the video, Melania Trump enters the room first and greets Gunderson, who begins to get out of bed. She tells him he doesn't have to get up, but he insists. When the President comes into the room, Trump shakes Gunderson's hand and says "This guy looks tough to me."

In a later post, Gunderson said he shared the video on Facebook, "with the intention of spreading an uplifting message during this horrific time in our country."

Tiago | ♂ | 20 | PM | VM | Ask Me | Lonely Hearts Club

Help and Advice Moderator

~Mike was here~
Living For Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2017, 11:26 PM   #2
Dalcourt
VT Lover

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut
Default Re: He was shot in the leg in Las Vegas. He still stood up for the President.

Oh well this is really weird. I mean what is the President of the United States? Just an ordinary being like anyone else, no higher entity. So why would someone make such a statement of getting up despite being hurt?

Most heads of state and other leaders like the Pope would be completely weirded out by such an act or statement. Americans have this strange strange kind of patriotism and are even proud. I honestly feel like I don't get my own people sometimes. But I come to understand more and more why a lot of Europeans think we Americans are freaks.
Dalcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 12:34 AM   #3
mattsmith48
VT Lover

Name: matt
Default Re: He was shot in the leg in Las Vegas. He still stood up for the President.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalcourt View Post
Oh well this is really weird. I mean what is the President of the United States? Just an ordinary being like anyone else, no higher entity. So why would someone make such a statement of getting up despite being hurt?

Most heads of state and other leaders like the Pope would be completely weirded out by such an act or statement. Americans have this strange strange kind of patriotism and are even proud. I honestly feel like I don't get my own people sometimes. But I come to understand more and more why a lot of Europeans think we Americans are freaks.
I think it comes from the fact the president is leader of the military, its not that it looks weird, its just that it is something you would do for royalty like the Queen.

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 01:43 AM   #4
NewLeafsFan
Great Poster

Name: Cedrick

The only thing that i'm going to say about it is that i would do that in "ordinary times".

Canada / Sport Management (Hockey) Major / Straight / Left-Wing Progressive / 18 yrs old

Cedrick Desjardins
NewLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 05:35 AM   #5
Dalcourt
VT Lover

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
I think it comes from the fact the president is leader of the military, its not that it looks weird, its just that it is something you would do for royalty like the Queen.
Well, I didn't see anyone who was injured during the bombing at the Arianna Grande concert in England make a fuss whether they had to get up for the Queen when she visited them in hospital and I'm sure she would not have anyone with an injurie stand up for her or whatever.

And nobody ever made this kind of remarks during Obama's presidency. So for me it is just an uncalled for raising attention to the kneeling at the hymn thing.

It's really sad that all events, eceb horrible things like that shooting on Vegas, become a platform for political propaganda nowadays.

If you read the news it feels like showing off how patriotic you are seems more important than finding out reasons why it happened or solutions on how to prevent such tragedies in the future.

As a US citizen these false priorities make me sad.
Old October 8th, 2017, 10:29 AM   #6
ShineintheDark
Nice Poster

Name: Magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
its just that it is something you would do for royalty like the Queen.
There's one major difference: every major member of the royal family has actually served in some capacity and so DESERVE military recognition. The Queen herself was an auto mechanic during the Second World War, Prince Charles and Prince Harry have both served in the navy and army respectively whilst Prince William to this day still serve part time in Air Ambulance after years of service in the Air Force. That is to say, besides being royals, they've actually DONE something for the military beyond being symbolic figureheads. This is very different to Trump as he is the only president not to serve in the military to any capacity (bar Obama who was too young to serve in Vietnam and Clinton who was never drafted) since Hoover, and even he worked in the humanitarian side of the Great War.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 11:45 AM   #7
mattsmith48
VT Lover

Name: matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineintheDark View Post
There's one major difference: every major member of the royal family has actually served in some capacity and so DESERVE military recognition. The Queen herself was an auto mechanic during the Second World War, Prince Charles and Prince Harry have both served in the navy and army respectively whilst Prince William to this day still serve part time in Air Ambulance after years of service in the Air Force. That is to say, besides being royals, they've actually DONE something for the military beyond being symbolic figureheads. This is very different to Trump as he is the only president not to serve in the military to any capacity (bar Obama who was too young to serve in Vietnam and Clinton who was never drafted) since Hoover, and even he worked in the humanitarian side of the Great War.
But the reason Trump never served in the military is very different from Clinton or Obama.

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 06:13 PM   #8
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Stronk Serb's Forum Picture

I don't find this weird. We had to stand up to our teachers all the time when they enter the classroom. Sort of as a sign of respect. Also if my president came to my home or my hospital bed I would be equally courteous with the guy, no matter how much I despise him.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
"Democracy is a dictatorship of the fools"
-Friedrich von Schiller (1759 1805)
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 07:07 PM   #9
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

PlasmaHam's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronk Serb View Post
I don't find this weird. We had to stand up to our teachers all the time when they enter the classroom. Sort of as a sign of respect. Also if my president came to my home or my hospital bed I would be equally courteous with the guy, no matter how much I despise him.
Yea. If Obama was still president and he came to visit me for some reason, as much as I may despise him politically I would still show respect. If not towards the man, then at least towards the office he holds.
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 07:28 PM   #10
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Stronk Serb's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
Yea. If Obama was still president and he came to visit me for some reason, as much as I may despise him politically I would still show respect. If not towards the man, then at least towards the office he holds.
That is my point. This and it is just how you adress older people with respect. In Serbia when we are adressing someone with respect, we use "You" (Vi) instead of "you" (ti). Just like you would not adress your teacher with his/her first name but with Mr./Mrs. (last name).

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
"Democracy is a dictatorship of the fools"
-Friedrich von Schiller (1759 1805)
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 01:28 AM   #11
Dalcourt
VT Lover

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

@Stronk Serb I understand you clearly don't get what makes me sad about the issue.
I'm not against being respectful, quite the contrary I'm all for people having more respect for each other than they have in this day and age.

The thing is the video and this thread were not made to show that there are still nice people in this world but to spread political propaganda and make a knock at people not sharing your opinions.

For me it's natural to show respect for example to people older than me, women etc. but I don't feel like I have to make a video about it as it's just a natural thing I don't even think about while doing it.

Being a decent person also means staying respectful to everyone even if they are not like you or share your beliefs but it doesn't mean lashing out at people with different beliefs in all sorts of unnecessary ways.

So if he would have wanted to make a video showing what a great patriot he was, he could also have done one showing him kneeling down and thanking God for sparing him from greater harm and praying for the souls of those who weren't as lucky as him.

So with all due respect for this person and his patriotism, he and the OP just use a tragic event for political propaganda and that isn't in any way respectful to all those people who died, got seriously injured or lost a loved one.
Old October 10th, 2017, 08:21 AM   #12
CosmicNoodle
Resident Twat

CosmicNoodle's Forum Picture

Name: Joe

TL;DR

Man stands when president visits him in hospital. Amazing, some quality propaganda, 8/5 would read again.

My names Joe, but you can call me "Lord and master of all space and time"
I'm Bisexual, deal with it
Ask me shit

~Mike was here~
CosmicNoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 08:45 AM   #13
Mars
Global Moderator

Mars's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicNoodle View Post
TL;DR

Man stands when president visits him in hospital. Amazing, some quality propaganda, 8/5 would read again.
Sounds like the title of an Onion or Clickhole article

"The head may err, but never the blood.
Nice salt pouch, asshole
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoppingTom View Post
so if he pulls these shenanigans again, I'm whipping out the long dick of the law on him

~Endeavour was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote