Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2017, 04:12 AM   #1
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover
 
Stronk Serb's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: November 3, 2012
Location: Serbia (FYR)
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 2
Default The electoral college? Should it be scrapped?

Okay so I watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wC42HgLA4k

So you can technically win the presidential elections with about 22% of the popular vote. I think it is highly unfair such a system exists. Plus it happened in last years elections too. Why can't you use a normal electing system like other countries? Russia (another federation like the US) counts the percentage of the popular votes for both the Duma (their parliament) and their president.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
"Democracy is a dictatorship of the fools"
-Friedrich von Schiller (1759 1805)
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 08:02 AM   #2
mattsmith48
VT Lover
 
Name: matt
Join Date: March 8, 2014
Location: canada
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Default Re: The electoral college? Should it be scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronk Serb View Post
Okay so I watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wC42HgLA4k

So you can technically win the presidential elections with about 22% of the popular vote. I think it is highly unfair such a system exists. Plus it happened in last years elections too. Why can't you use a normal electing system like other countries? Russia (another federation like the US) counts the percentage of the popular votes for both the Duma (their parliament) and their president.
The electoral college is just part of the problem, the whole FPTP system is a failed system that can only work when they are two choices, like yes or no, in an election the more choices you have the better, what better example for that than the US where the choices are right wing nuts and corrupted centrists. I like the German electoral system it stops parties from getting 100% of the power with only 30% of the votes.

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 11:03 AM   #3
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover
 
Stronk Serb's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: November 3, 2012
Location: Serbia (FYR)
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: The electoral college? Should it be scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
The electoral college is just part of the problem, the whole FPTP system is a failed system that can only work when they are two choices, like yes or no, in an election the more choices you have the better, what better example for that than the US where the choices are right wing nuts and corrupted centrists. I like the German electoral system it stops parties from getting 100% of the power with only 30% of the votes.
Well, they had to really re-do the system because the Weimar system allowed the Nazis to take power with less than half.

In Serbia it's fair because for parliament the percentage is counted and you need either a party or coalition majority to elect the executive branch. For president is also must be more than half of the popular vote. Of course this is if no one messes with the Republican Electoral Comission which happens a lot.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
"Democracy is a dictatorship of the fools"
-Friedrich von Schiller (1759 1805)
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 11:28 AM   #4
Mars
Global Moderator
 
Mars's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 26, 2015
Location: NYC
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: The electoral college? Should it be scrapped?

I never really understood how this worked? If someone can explain in detail to me? I get that even if you don't win majority vote you can still become president, and that's just not fair because if the majority of American people don't want you, you shouldn't be in office. That simple.

"The head may err, but never the blood.
Nice salt pouch, asshole
Quote:
The point isnt to actually have the biggest penis in the world, but to carry yourself like you have the biggest penis.

~Endeavour was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 11:42 AM   #5
Babs
draft dodger
 
Babs's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: September 14, 2013
Age: 19
Gender: Female
Default Re: The electoral college? Should it be scrapped?

Yes, it's a useless middleman. Not to mention it interferes with democracy.
Likes: (1)
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 11:58 AM   #6
ShineintheDark
Nice Poster
 
Name: Magnus
Join Date: April 11, 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Gender: Male
Default Re: The electoral college? Should it be scrapped?

I feel it's a really outdated system that probably made a lot of sense back when the states were first created but has now outserved its purpose. The UK is in no way perfect but our system of counting by constituancies is at least partially representative of the population as opposed to arbitrary points assigned to each state.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 01:17 PM   #7
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster
 
PlasmaHam's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: July 7, 2016
Location: The South
Gender: Male
Default Re: The electoral college? Should it be scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
I never really understood how this worked? If someone can explain in detail to me? I get that even if you don't win majority vote you can still become president, and that's just not fair because if the majority of American people don't want you, you shouldn't be in office. That simple.
First, an explanation on how the electoral college works. So votes are handed out onto the states given their representatives in Congress. For instance, Alaska has 3 congressmen, so they have 3 college votes, while California has 55 congressmen, so they have 55 electoral college votes. In the election, the candidate is assigned is assigned those votes once they pass the majority in each state. If there is a tie, then the candidates are voted upon by the House, where the winner is then choosen.

Now onto why the electoral college is used. The electoral college is designed to prevent centralized majorities from controlling the Federal executive branch. The top ten cities easily have the voting power to control the Federal government under a direct democracy, which is basically saying that less than 1% of the country geographically could control all of it. Another point to bring up, that compared to other developed countries, America treats it states much more like separate entities, thus a system to protect those states and their citizens from the whims of other states has been had to have been implemented. The electoral college is part of that system.

The whole origin of the American voting system is pretty complicated. It stems from years of debates over power distribution, state equality, preventing mob-rule, etc. Far too complicated to go into here, but it is an interesting issue if you like history or politics.
Likes: (2)
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 02:32 PM   #8
Living For Love
VT Lover
 
Living For Love's Forum Picture
 
Name: Tiago
Join Date: August 22, 2013
Location: Portugal
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: The electoral college? Should it be scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
The top ten cities easily have the voting power to control the Federal government under a direct democracy, which is basically saying that less than 1% of the country geographically could control all of it.
But the most populous states have the most college votes, so the states who have more population still have more power. Or am I interpreting this wrongly?


Tiago | ♂ | 20 | PM | VM | Ask Me | Lonely Hearts Club

Help and Advice Moderator

~Mike was here~
Living For Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 06:20 PM   #9
Dmaxd123
Member+
 
Join Date: December 25, 2016
Gender: Male
Default Re: The electoral college? Should it be scrapped?

some states do in deed have more power, but it gives the less populated states a more fair share in the election.

I personally find it very interesting how many people get hung up on the presidential election, the President is only a fraction of our judicial system so although they have power it isn't a ticket to go do whatever one wants.

for me i'm 100% fine with the electoral college: geographically the nation gets a say, then on a state & county level it is the pure democracy of 1 vote = 1 vote so in a state like NY our whole geographic area is ruled by NYC, Albany, Binghamton, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo so those of us in outlying areas at least get a bit of a say somewhere along the line, even if we are still overpowered by our population centers
Dmaxd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 07:43 PM   #10
mattsmith48
VT Lover
 
Name: matt
Join Date: March 8, 2014
Location: canada
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Default Re: The electoral college? Should it be scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineintheDark View Post
The UK is in no way perfect but our system of counting by constituancies is at least partially representative of the population as opposed to arbitrary points assigned to each state.
The system use in the UK which is the same we use here, is one of the worst electoral system. Its basically the same thing than the electoral college in the US except each riding are worth one instead of an arbitrary number based on population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
Now onto why the electoral college is used. The electoral college is designed to prevent centralized majorities from controlling the Federal executive branch. The top ten cities easily have the voting power to control the Federal government under a direct democracy, which is basically saying that less than 1% of the country geographically could control all of it. Another point to bring up, that compared to other developed countries, America treats it states much more like separate entities, thus a system to protect those states and their citizens from the whims of other states has been had to have been implemented. The electoral college is part of that system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxd123 View Post
for me i'm 100% fine with the electoral college: geographically the nation gets a say, then on a state & county level it is the pure democracy of 1 vote = 1 vote so in a state like NY our whole geographic area is ruled by NYC, Albany, Binghamton, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo so those of us in outlying areas at least get a bit of a say somewhere along the line, even if we are still overpowered by our population centers
Because its so much better to have four states having all the power and the majority of the votes cast in almost every major cities being literally worthless.

Here is an example of I did with California back in May to show just how worthless voting is in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
Most states will always go for the same party, like the Democrats in California that 55 votes is a guarantee to go to the Democrats before anyone even voted, any votes in California for another party or any surplus votes for the Democrats are worthless, In the 2016 election 8.7 millions Californians voted for Clinton, 4.4 million voted for Trump, 478 thousands voted for Gary Johnson, 278 thousands voted Jill Stein and 39 thousands voted for Evan McMullin, 147 other. Couple things wrong here first Hillary Clinton got 61% of the votes but 100% of the electoral college votes, secondly 5,427,807 of Californian who voted for someone else than the candidate who was guarantee to win the state, so their votes where worthless plus counting the 4.2 millions extra votes the winner got that she didn't need to win the state, for a total 9,697,785 worthless votes, all those voters put together would be the 10th most populated state ranked between North Carolina and Michigan, and the 87th most populated country. So under this system the population the size of Sweden all those votes are worthless just in one state, how is this fair?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
The whole origin of the American voting system is pretty complicated. It stems from years of debates over power distribution, state equality, preventing mob-rule, etc. Far too complicated to go into here, but it is an interesting issue if you like history or politics.
Not really, the origin of the electoral college is pretty well known. The founding fathers didn't trust the population to pick the right president, so they created this system to fix potential mistakes from the population and prevent the wrong person from getting to power, someone like a mentally unstable pussy grabber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living For Love View Post
But the most populous states have the most college votes, so the states who have more population still have more power. Or am I interpreting this wrongly?
Not really since in most states the winning party is always known and guaranteed before one vote as been cast, so while states like California or Texas do have the most electoral votes everyone knows who is getting those votes.

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 11:09 AM   #11
ShineintheDark
Nice Poster
 
Name: Magnus
Join Date: April 11, 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Gender: Male
Default Re: The electoral college? Should it be scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
The system use in the UK which is the same we use here, is one of the worst electoral system. Its basically the same thing than the electoral college in the US except each riding are worth one instead of an arbitrary number based on population.
Not quite. I do agree that, since we also have FPTP we also have a very bad system but at least our constituancies are increasingly based on population rather than land (the reason why some constituancies are hundreds of miles worth of area and some are mere districts of a city) and so a vote is roughly worth the same in each constituancy. The issue with the electoral college is that, as a set system of points, some peoples' votes will end up worth a tenth or so someone elses'.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 11:59 AM   #12
mattsmith48
VT Lover
 
Name: matt
Join Date: March 8, 2014
Location: canada
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Default Re: The electoral college? Should it be scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineintheDark View Post
Not quite. I do agree that, since we also have FPTP we also have a very bad system but at least our constituancies are increasingly based on population rather than land (the reason why some constituancies are hundreds of miles worth of area and some are mere districts of a city) and so a vote is roughly worth the same in each constituancy. The issue with the electoral college is that, as a set system of points, some peoples' votes will end up worth a tenth or so someone elses'.
FPTP makes thousands of votes worthless in each constituencies and on the same scale that the electoral college makes votes worthless in the US. Because first a lot of constituencies, like states in the US, are almost locks for one party, that have long history of voting one way and have a big base and that's without entering in consideration the gerrymandering that makes things worst so voting for anyone else is worthless. Secondly in every constituencies all the votes for a candidate who didn't win plus all votes that the winner didn't need to win the seat are wasted. If you take the 2015 election here in Canada, 9.1 million or 51.8% of votes were literary worthless, those people stay home, the election goes the same way. I did an example with California its a good comparison since we are about the same population. California had 9.6 million worthless votes or 68,4%. In both cases that's a lot or worthless votes.

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 02:24 AM   #13
NewLeafsFan
Great Poster
 
Name: Cedrick
Join Date: December 14, 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada
Gender: Male
Default Re: The electoral college? Should it be scrapped?

The electoral college is an extremely dysfunctional that has failed the USA and other countries in many elections.

That being said I do not wish to implement the Russian elector system.


Canada / Sport Management (Hockey) Major / Straight / Left-Wing Progressive / 18 yrs old

Cedrick Desjardins
NewLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2017, 05:40 PM   #14
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover
 
Stronk Serb's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: November 3, 2012
Location: Serbia (FYR)
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: The electoral college? Should it be scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
First, an explanation on how the electoral college works. So votes are handed out onto the states given their representatives in Congress. For instance, Alaska has 3 congressmen, so they have 3 college votes, while California has 55 congressmen, so they have 55 electoral college votes. In the election, the candidate is assigned is assigned those votes once they pass the majority in each state. If there is a tie, then the candidates are voted upon by the House, where the winner is then choosen.

Now onto why the electoral college is used. The electoral college is designed to prevent centralized majorities from controlling the Federal executive branch. The top ten cities easily have the voting power to control the Federal government under a direct democracy, which is basically saying that less than 1% of the country geographically could control all of it. Another point to bring up, that compared to other developed countries, America treats it states much more like separate entities, thus a system to protect those states and their citizens from the whims of other states has been had to have been implemented. The electoral college is part of that system.

The whole origin of the American voting system is pretty complicated. It stems from years of debates over power distribution, state equality, preventing mob-rule, etc. Far too complicated to go into here, but it is an interesting issue if you like history or politics.
Yeah but a system that allows about a quarter of the population to count more than the other three quarters is pretty unfair to me. Besides, countries are becoming more and more centralized, so why keep such an outdated system? I mean instead of focusing on state rights, why not focus primarily on individual rights which are supressed in some states?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living For Love View Post
But the most populous states have the most college votes, so the states who have more population still have more power. Or am I interpreting this wrongly?

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
"Democracy is a dictatorship of the fools"
-Friedrich von Schiller (1759 1805)
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2017, 08:44 AM   #15
Living For Love
VT Lover
 
Living For Love's Forum Picture
 
Name: Tiago
Join Date: August 22, 2013
Location: Portugal
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: The electoral college? Should it be scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLeafsFan View Post
The electoral college is an extremely dysfunctional that has failed the USA and other countries in many elections.

That being said I do not wish to implement the Russian elector system.
How do you fail in an election?


Tiago | ♂ | 20 | PM | VM | Ask Me | Lonely Hearts Club

Help and Advice Moderator

~Mike was here~
Living For Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2017, 11:53 AM   #16
mattsmith48
VT Lover
 
Name: matt
Join Date: March 8, 2014
Location: canada
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Default Re: The electoral college? Should it be scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living For Love View Post
How do you fail in an election?
When the candidate with the most votes doesn't win.

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 07:07 PM   #17
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover
 
Stronk Serb's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: November 3, 2012
Location: Serbia (FYR)
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: The electoral college? Should it be scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
When the candidate with the most votes doesn't win.
This. Like outlined, also the system allows for a victory with 25% of the popular vote if you win in smaller states. If I were a crony candidate I would focus on these states, literally wipe their butt with golden toilet paper.

The system is pretty feudal-like, with portions swearing fealty to the central government while getting autonomy and a say on some legislative matters.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
"Democracy is a dictatorship of the fools"
-Friedrich von Schiller (1759 1805)
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 12:43 AM   #18
mattsmith48
VT Lover
 
Name: matt
Join Date: March 8, 2014
Location: canada
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Default Re: The electoral college? Should it be scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronk Serb View Post
This. Like outlined, also the system allows for a victory with 25% of the popular vote if you win in smaller states. If I were a crony candidate I would focus on these states, literally wipe their butt with golden toilet paper.

The system is pretty feudal-like, with portions swearing fealty to the central government while getting autonomy and a say on some legislative matters.
That would only work in hypothetical world where all the state could go anyway, but in reality the entire country is so divided and partisan that almost every state's majority is on one side. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is very unlikely in today's context.

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 10:17 AM   #19
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover
 
Stronk Serb's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: November 3, 2012
Location: Serbia (FYR)
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: The electoral college? Should it be scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
That would only work in hypothetical world where all the state could go anyway, but in reality the entire country is so divided and partisan that almost every state's majority is on one side. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it is very unlikely in today's context.
Still, a system which has this as a possibility, no matter how improbable, is a flawed system.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
"Democracy is a dictatorship of the fools"
-Friedrich von Schiller (1759 1805)
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 10:55 AM   #20
mattsmith48
VT Lover
 
Name: matt
Join Date: March 8, 2014
Location: canada
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Default Re: The electoral college? Should it be scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronk Serb View Post
Still, a system which has this as a possibility, no matter how improbable, is a flawed system.
Flawed not the word I would picked, but you are absolutely right.

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2017
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2017, VirtualTeen.org