Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [2]

Closed Thread

Old June 17th, 2017, 07:32 AM   #1
Yugen
Member++

Yugen's Forum Picture

Name: Yugen
Post I Was Diagnosed With Bipolar

I always knew I had depressive episodes but it was hard to catch on to the mania for me, even though everyone else saw it.

I took Prozac without any major problems for a year but it never really improved my mood so I talked to a walk in clinic doctor and switched to Effexor. The Effexor caused crazy mania, and I ended up penniless and in the psychiatric emergency room after not sleeping for three days. They took me off of the Effexor, diagnosed me with bipolar, and sent me on my way with a prescription for Seroquel, Abilify, and Ativan.

I then had an intake assessment with a local mental health program and bipolar was confirmed. I started seeing a psychiatrist and counselor, but having to move I lost these supports and am currently fighting for more.

It's scary knowing that this disease is a big part of my life and medication will be a part of it as well. I can't even imagine not feeling this way, and I really would like to just feel better.

Update:
I have seen a family doctor multiple times since moving and my medications were changed to Abilify and Zoloft. I'm still in nowhere land with seeing a psychiatrist, but I have referrals in and I'll be moving within range of one in a month.

Last edited by Yugen; July 27th, 2017 at 06:15 PM. Reason: update
Old June 17th, 2017, 12:52 PM   #2
Just JT
I give a actual fuck

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT
Default Re: I Was Diagnosed With Bipolar

I know the feeling. I been on meds for so long to make me feel and act "normal" that I don't even know what normal is. Was recently diagnosed with depression. Probably shouldn't be a surprise depending on how well you know me

As much as I dislike taking meds, and therapy etc, I can see that they do help. And I do feel better over all. I feel better, I do things like school work or whatever better. I used to act out violently or explosively. I don't any more. I can concentrate better now.

But still a lota work to be done I know. We all do. Just keep your head up best you can ok?
And know there's people here to talk to if you need.
Old June 17th, 2017, 01:10 PM   #3
Dalcourt

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut

I totally understand you. I was diagnosed with bipolar at an early age. It kinda runs in our family.
It effects my daily life a lot and I know it is very hard for the people around me. It's hard to keep friends since most people won't make enough effort to try to understand this illness.

Anyway I don't take meds at the moment. I'm just doing therapy but it works and I don't have any nasty side effects of the meds.
Sure it depends on the person and you shouldn't change your medication without talking to your doctor.
Old July 20th, 2017, 10:47 PM   #4
elmoc
Member+

Hi Yugen,
Wow, it seems like you were well on your way to finding the right Med combination for yourself, but then your support system was pulled out from under you with the move. That really sucks.

The rapid cycle of your diagnosis, semi-treatment with antidepressants, a serious attempt at treatment with the three Meds makes me feel very concerned for you.

I STRONGLY urge you to be proactive & find a psychiatrist & a talk therapist in your community or as close as possible to your location. The right support team, as you previously discovered can make a huge difference in getting you to optimum mental status.

More than anything, bipolar patients are fragile. The Meds can have an impact on the roller coaster of hypomania-depression-hypomania.....etc. But IMO, you need to find a good therapist that can help you identify your "triggers" that may initiate the mood swings.

I have a sister with bipolar type 2, which is sometimes called Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder. Her mood can have a radical swing within minutes. The information that has been most beneficial is identifying her triggers- what events cause the shift from sweet older sister to shrew to locked in her bedroom depression.

The therapist helped us identify several triggers:
- any significant change in her routine. If one of my brothers & his family are coming to visit, the stress of the additional stimulation of extra people in the house, triggers the shrew.
- Loud noises over an extended period of time: parties with 20+ people talking & loud music playing causes her to shift. She does much better with a small group in a relatively quiet place.

There are several more, but this might give you an idea. Identifying her triggers- & a new one can pop up at any time. It has taken almost 3 years of individual & family therapy to get this specific.

Bottom line: I'm sorry you have this chemical disorder, but you, with support, can keep it from becoming the dominating factor in your life. The best comparison I have heard is with Diabetes. It is a chemical disorder in your body that you can learn to control with proper medical & lifestyle management. You are no more mentally ill than the diabetic. Blood sugar fluctuations can change the behavior of the diabetic, just as brain chemical fluctuation influence your behavior. It is not your fault!

As you can tell, I am very passionate about this topic. With my sister, I watched her "self medicate" with alcohol & other drugs, then she could shift to drugs that were stimulants when she was depressed. I am so thankful, over the last three years, to have my big sis back!

Yes, it is a life long illness, but yes, you can develop some control over it when the brain decides to change chemical levels.

Please be proactive & take care of yourself,
Elmoc

Some days you're the bug;
some days you're the windshield.
Old October 9th, 2017, 06:55 AM   #5
BlackBike9

Name: Black

Can you describe me, if -of course- you want, how did you feel when they told you you have bipolar?
Old October 9th, 2017, 07:43 AM   #6
Dalcourt

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut

Please don't post in threads inactive for more than two months.
Closed Thread