Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old August 19th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #1
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT
Default Ptsd - 101

What is PTSD?

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) leaves you with helpless feelings of fear, anxiety, sadness and feelings of being disconnected with friends and family. These are normal everyday emotions all humans do have. The difference is in when someone feels stuck in the moment with, constant memories of events that brought them down that road to where those feelings linger.

What causes PTSD?

PTSD can be caused by a single or a series of traumatic events that jeopardize someone's personal safety, life or a violent event. They can either be a victim or a witness to these events. Violence does not always mean a human to human violent experience, such as a war veterans experience in combat but, can also be events such as a natural disaster. For instance, a first responder being exposed to the elements of their job after an earthquake, Tsunami or a terrorist attack. This is also commonly known for leaving military service members and their families feeling the impact of their exposure. Many victims of physical, emotional and sexual abuse will suffer symptoms of PTSD.

Who is affected by PTSD?

Basically everyone or anyone can be affected by PTSD. Not only the victim themselves, but also their families. As noted above, many different situations and events can cause someone to show symptoms of PTSD. PTSD does not discriminate based upon age, national origin, sexual orientation or religion. It is estimated that 5% of adolescents in the USA have satisfied the criteria of having PTSD. And this is based upon cases that have been reported as abuse or neglect. The rates are higher for girls than boys. Conversely about 20% of Iraqi and Afghanistan war veterans have been diagnosed with PTSD and or depression as of 2014.

What to look for

There are three main categories of symptoms. I simply copied and pasted these below I liked them so much I couldn't find any better way to outline them;

- Re-experiencing the traumatic event. This may include upsetting memories, flashbacks, and nightmares, as well as feelings of distress or intense physical reactions when reminded of the event (sweating, pounding heart, nausea, for example).
Avoiding reminders of the trauma. You may try to avoid activities, places or thoughts that remind you of the trauma or be unable to remember important aspects of the event. You may feel detached from others and emotionally numb, or lose interest in activities and life in general, sensing only a limited future for yourself.

- Increased anxiety and emotional arousal. These symptoms include trouble sleeping, irritability or outbursts of anger, difficulty concentrating, feeling jumpy and easily startled, and hypervigilance (on constant “red alert”).

- In young children they may have inaccurate accountings of the order of events. This is known as "time skew". They may also reenact the triggering event in play or art depicting the event as they perceive it. There may be separation anxiety with parents or caregivers, unexplained nightmares, or other new unexplained changes in behavior. Such as incontinence new phobias or storytelling and/of new pain with no symptoms.

- During adolescent years teens may show signs of aggression or rage and Impulsivity. This can lead to very is locative behaviors, truancy and alcohol and substance abuse issues. They can develop significant trust issues, feelings of guilt and shame which can easily lead to depression, and suicidal thoughts.

- Adults will exhibit many of the same symptoms as adolescence. Many times leaving their loved ones and families at the end or their ropes with patience. They may end up in a deep state of depression and worthlessness. Easy triggering's may lead to perpetuating violence and abuse. Another form of reenactment that is often seen in younger children. Often times they will become so isolated and disconnected from the world they will not leave the home.

- Other common symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD):
Guilt, shame, or self-blame
Substance abuse
Feelings of mistrust and betrayal
Depression and hopelessness
Suicidal thoughts and feelings
Physical aches and pains

PTSD Statistics

About 2.7 million American Veterans suffer from PTSD from the Iraqi and Afghanistan wars. That's about 20% of all military people who served there

About 8.2 million Veterans from the Vietnam war suffer from PTSD

Roughly 50% of the veterans from the Iraqi and Afghanistan wars do not seek treatment.

Out of the 3 million reports to the Child Protective Services each year, about 30% are found to have proof of abuse.

About 65% stem from neglect

Another 18% are a result of physical abuse

Roughly 10% are from sexual abuse

The smallest number, 7% is a result of psychological abuse

Also, three to ten million children witness family violence each year. Around 40% to 60% of those cases involve child physical abuse. (Note: It is thought that two-thirds of child abuse cases are not reported.)
Roughly 15% to 43% of girls and 14% to 43% have experienced at least one trauma. Of those children 3% to 15% of girls and 1% to 6% of boys develop PTSD.
Just some food for thought as we all return to school and look around the room at a bunch of new faces.

What you can do to help

The biggest thing anyone can do to help someone with PTSD is to educate themselves about it. People suffering from PTSD will most likely need professional help. Things like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Or Trauma Focused CBT, or TF-CBT, (where the patients talk about the trauma in detail and are basically desensitized from the trauma). There are a number of other therapeutic things that may be need as well as medications such as anti-depressants.

If you are aware of someone who has been exposed to a traumatic experience or is suffering from PTSD don't pressure them to talk about it. This can actually make their conflict worse. Just listen if they choose to share it, and be supportive and understanding. Let them disclose at their pace.

Don't take things they do or say that are symptoms personally. It's important to understand where their actions are coming from and separate them from their real feelings and intentions. This may be stressful, but you'll need to take care of that on your own so you can be there for your friend or family. So take care of yourself.

Be mindful of possible triggers and be ready for them. Common triggers are anniversaries, places, smells, or topics of conversations and names. Have a known plan of what you and your loved one can and will do when confronted with a trigger. And follow through with consistency. But also be flexible, as every exposure and memory may result in a different response.

End of day, yes, it's a lot of knowledge, work, patience and love. I've only touched the tip of the iceberg in this post. I've pulled from my own past personal experiences of abuse neglect and trauma in my life as well as from some reading I've listed below. They all go into much greater detail than I have, so I invite you to read the, over for your own personal information so that you may be of better help to someone in need in your future.

Thank you for your time and reading this.

References

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/...fessionals.asp

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/family...dolescents.asp

http://www.helpguide.org/articles/pt...s-disorder.htm

http://www.veteransandptsd.com/PTSD-statistics.html

Last edited by Living For Love; September 20th, 2016 at 03:22 PM.
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2016, 10:23 PM   #2
Flapjack
Good Egg

Flapjack's Forum Picture

Default Re: Ptsd-101

Wow this is really good buddy!! Thanks for sharing & I am sure you will get a really good grade for this!

I'm a prettyyy awkward weeb that likes alcohol and punk rock :')
Flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2016, 10:30 PM   #3
Amethyst Rose
The Fragile

Amethyst Rose's Forum Picture

Thanks for sharing @Just JT. I never knew that much about PTSD until reading this. It was very good and detailed, I agree you're sure to get a good grade

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."
PM Me Ask Me [email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desynchronized View Post
Gawd dammit the mods r so cruel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
I just food and I still have a hungry.
Amethyst Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2016, 10:51 PM   #4
Desynchronized
Member+

Desynchronized's Forum Picture

Name: Jason

As always well written and full of valuable informations. You should get a great grade for this.
Desynchronized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 03:09 AM   #5
Dalcourt

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut

Thanks for sharing this. It's a very valuable piece of information. I'm sure you get a good grade for this.
Dalcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 10:57 AM   #6
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Thanks. Like I said it's a bit of a condensed version. I didn't really get "graded" on it. More just a paper I had to write. But it's good info

Thank you
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2016, 05:18 PM   #7
jamie_n5
VT Lover

jamie_n5's Forum Picture

Name: Jamie

That is a great post JT! I am sure that it will be helpful to lots of people. Thanks for going to the trouble of doing that man.

I am gay and happy with that.
I love talking to people very open & willing to listen.
I am also glad to try help with questions or problems.
Hit me up for anything. I promise I don't bite.
jamie_n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2016, 06:29 PM   #8
Taint

Taint's Forum Picture

Name: Jace

As someone that has PTSD, I enjoyed reading through that seeing the right information. Thanks buddy

Taint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 04:17 AM   #9
impossiblemindset

impossiblemindset's Forum Picture

Default Ptss

In start crying if I have to run too fast, but only, after I stop, and my whole body, aches, but like my skin and muscles get really, really soft, but I can't breathe right, I get, breathless and scream all the time, but if I get that too far into shock again I don't, not have more to keep crying about
it used to get me held, even if I found strangers, so like, I'd be dead without the disorder? it's called a syndrome, thanks, asshole
impossiblemindset is offline   Reply With Quote