Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old October 21st, 2014, 06:46 PM   #21
Emerald Dream
Forever Green

Emerald Dream's Forum Picture

Name: Allison
Default Re: iOS Apps love/recommendations

Ticket To Ride

I found this the other day and downloaded it (it's not that expensive...a dollar or two, I forget), and I can not stop playing this game. It's just perfect. A board/strategy game that I can play by myself that literally takes 5-10 minutes.

It's pretty simple...get random train route cards and try to connect the cities on the route by controlling the tracks between them. Some of the tracks require a certain color before you can own them. Very, very easy to learn.

I know you can get another version with a Europe map, but I wish this game came with a bunch of different maps for a lot more replay value.
Emerald Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #22
Emerald Dream
Forever Green

Red Herring

This is a simple game where the object is to move the words into columns according to categories - they could be colors, presidents, tools, or words that can go before or after other words. You can set the difficulty to show the categories, or try to figure them out for yourself. Some of the words will not fit into a category and will go into the last column, which is always headed by a red herring (false clue).

A lot of the puzzles (and the app itself) are free, which I like.
Old January 12th, 2015, 10:42 PM   #23
the main man

Name: Connor

monument valley!
the main man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 11:22 PM   #24
Emerald Dream
Forever Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by the main man View Post
monument valley!
I went ahead and tried this because it looked interesting.

Monument Valley

This game is a lot of fun, and the simple graphics are really attractive. The object is to get the princess (with the pointy hat) through the level and to the star at the end. I would call it a maze game, but the levels aren't really maze like - it's more of a thing to figure out how things work or could be slid or spun to help you continue or change your path. '

There is some DLC for a little extra charge (on top of the price of the game itself), and I liked those levels as well. The only problem I have with this game is that honestly...it's pretty short. Ten levels on the original game, and eight on the DLC. It's worth playing though. I found it pretty enjoyable.
Old January 20th, 2015, 12:06 AM   #25
PinkFloyd
Steve Jobs' Bitch

PinkFloyd's Forum Picture

Name: Rob

Here is a list of apps that I like a lot

Shazam (app that uses the microphone to identify a song that's being played)
Trivia Crack
Temple Run
Snapchat
Bejewled
Zedge (for all your wallpaper/ringtone needs)
Trapster (an app that shows you where police speed traps and heavily patrolled areas are)

"My mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." Fred Rogers
PinkFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2015, 12:08 PM   #26
Emerald Dream
Forever Green

Motorsport Manager

To start off with, I am not much of a fan of car racing and I admit to knowing virtually nothing about it. I also admit that this is not the most realistic racing simulator to ever exist (the only thing you actually manage "in-race" is the tires, how hard you want to push the car, and when you want you do a pit stop. Fuel is not an issue in this game at all. It's pretty simple).

Somehow, I am hooked on this game. I like the simulation of actually growing your company and moving up to different racing circuits around the world. I also like that this game is very equal opportunity with both men and women characters being drivers and part of your staff. The graphics are very appealing for a mobile game. Sometimes I think the comments and "tweets" that fans give you in the game can be a bit repetitive, but I like that they put this in here.
Old April 8th, 2015, 04:05 PM   #27
Emerald Dream
Forever Green

Phoenix Wright - Dual Destinies

I played a Phoenix Wright game a few years ago (and liked it) on my DS, so I was interested when I saw this pop up in the App Store.

For anyone unfamiliar with Phoenix Wright - it's a game where you are a lawyer who doubles as an investigator. The main goal is to get your client found "Not Guilty" and win the case. There are 4-5 cases in every game (that I know of?). The drawback on iOS is that after the first introductory case, the rest are DLC. The cases are pretty lengthy (I am still on Case #2, and I have been playing this on and off for almost a week now), though....so I can sort of justify the price. Compared to a an actual physical game cartridge, it actually isn't that bad....but still - I can understand why people might balk at it.

Anyways, you'll take the role of Apollo Justice, and junior lawyer Athena Cykes (who is pretty fab, and my favorite character in this game so far). Phoenix, who is semi-retired, shows up from time to time because he is the owner of the detective agency. He has an adopted daughter who provides a lot of comedy through the game - although the "magic panties" thing is a little awks

Based on the other game I played, the cases themselves tend to be pretty..."out there" and outlandish. The stories are well thought out, and the characters in these games are very entertaining. I think it's pretty fun, and this will probably keep me busy for awhile.
Old May 16th, 2015, 10:39 PM   #28
Emerald Dream
Forever Green

Lux DLX

It's basically just a clone of Risk, but the replay value is pretty high. The game comes with a few maps to play on, but you can download over a hundred more that other people have made. You can play different countries, continents, states, and even fantasy worlds.
Old May 16th, 2015, 11:32 PM   #29
Microcosm
Awesome Poster

Microcosm's Forum Picture

Name: Dan

Headspace is a really neat app. It's not like a game, though. It's a meditation app.
Microcosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 04:40 PM   #30
Emerald Dream
Forever Green

Galactic Keep

Yeah, this is definitely showing my nerdy side

It's like.....an old school role-playing game with the whole character sheets and dice and everything - but set on spaceships, space stations, and compounds on different planets. The game keeps track of your stats and equipment. There are a few aliens/humans and alignments you can choose from (and supposedly you can unlock more). You're given a goal at the beginning of each chapter, and you have to go through the map to reach the end. It's fun...I like this kind of thing. Hopefully it will be updated with more stories, because the base game only comes with two (but they aren't what I would call "short" either). I'm assuming it's going to be DLC....I'm down for all that, as long as it's not too much money.

(spoiler - you die A LOT in this game until you level up a bunch, even when you try to heal yourself with abilities and items)
Old November 1st, 2015, 11:11 AM   #31
Emerald Dream
Forever Green

Monkey Wrench

I can't stop playing this game right now. It's a word search game where you have to figure out what the words/phrases are as you are finding them in the puzzle. The letters are in hex shaped boxes, so the words can twist in many different directions. All the letters in each puzzle eventually end up getting used. It's not overly difficult (I always use the "Hard" setting) and it's good for killing a few minutes of time if I ever feel like.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 11:26 PM   #32
Emerald Dream
Forever Green

Lifeline

The Lifeline series is pretty simple interactive fiction. The main difference between this and other games I have played (or "read") is that this attempts to take place in more of a "real time." The premise for each of these games is that a character is in some sort of trouble (Alone in outer space in the first game, a magic user uses a communication spell in the second game) and needs your help with decision making to progress and ultimately get the best ending out whatever situation they are in.

There is a lot of stop and go "play" in these games - because the characters take the time to do the actions they are performing. When they sleep or travel to a new location, often 4-6 hours will go by before the game tries to communicate with you again....which it will do via game alert/pseudo-text message.

To be honest, I think the first game was sort of a trial run for the format of this kind of game - because it's not very exciting, and seemed to drag in some places. The second one (which I am in the middle of now) has a better storyline, and a much more relatable character for me. I haven't played the third one yet (though it does look like a space theme again), though I did download it (I got all three of them together because they were on sale).

I like the experience, but I am sure that interactive fiction is not for everyone (I know I am a dork). Hopefully future editions of this series are more like the second one, which seems more colorful and engaging.
Old March 9th, 2016, 01:38 PM   #33
Emerald Dream
Forever Green

Mafia Mystery

If anyone remembers the Mafia game that we used to play on VT - here, and in a few other diaries that have since been retired....this app is basically the same thing.

The object is pretty simple - if you're on the mafia side, you need to kill off all the townspeople. If you are on the town side, you need to discover who the mafia members are and do likewise.

The game is able to be customized in any number of ways. You can set exactly how many mafia members, villagers, cops, doctors, etc...that will be playing. You can even set the time for the day/night periods (when the townspeople vote, and the mafia strikes) with options ranging from 3 minutes to 12 hours. There is a town hall which serves as a game chatroom, and there are more private chat areas if you are a mafia member or a cop (to discuss strategy).

I admit that I was skeptical when I first saw it, but the game really does work well and all the roles do exactly what they are supposed to do. The best thing for me is that you can play with friends, complete strangers, or a combination of both. Definitely recommended.
Old September 10th, 2016, 06:38 PM   #34
Emerald Dream
Forever Green

Dragon Quest IV

The Dragon Quest games are really a perfect RPG for a mobile device. The characters are engaging, and everything is very well displayed and vibrant. Of course, being a role-playing game - there are menus to navigate, but I've found this series of games to be pretty simple with this and not overwhelming at all.

I'm not too far into this particular one (yet), but the first three were pretty fantastic....and I considered up until now DQIII to be one of the best games I have ever played (and was an early version in a series of at least 8 games, as of now...that says a LOT for the gameplay). I love the stories. They are pretty standard RPG stuff, without being too boring and contrived. I also love that the characters in your party can interact with each other, without you having to do anything. This is really entertaining, and a nice touch.

I also love that these games (I am recommending all of them I have played so far) are pretty lengthy. I am trying to get them when they go one sale in the app store (it's worth it to wait for the sales) because some of them are over $10, which is pretty steep tbh. However, the time invested in these games and the entertainment I have gotten out of them have been well worth it to me (at the sale prices, anyways).
Old September 10th, 2016, 07:35 PM   #35
everlong
Floyd the Barber

everlong's Forum Picture

Pokemon Go
Hill Climb Racing
FaceQ
PicLab
Piano Tiles

caffeine junkie

imaginationblind.tumblr.com
everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 10:15 AM   #36
Emerald Dream
Forever Green

Quiz Tales

Its exactly what it looks like - a trivia game with animals. The animations are funny, and I think its great. There are a few different modes - solo, multiplayer, group, puzzles. Lots of animals to play as and things to collect. One of the few I am playing regularly now.
Old September 20th, 2017, 07:22 PM   #37
Babs
draft dodger

Babs's Forum Picture

SkyView - uses GPS and camera to aid stargazing. Shows you the constellations, names of stars, planets and satellites.
MobilePatrol - see who is currently in local jail, their mugshot, what they were charged with, etc. this is my favorite app because it gives you the hot scoop; i see people i know in there and i recognize people in public from their mugshot. but not every police department discloses the same amount of information. luckily my county police department discloses p much everything.
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote