Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old September 13th, 2017, 05:02 PM   #1
Sere
Member++

Sere's Forum Picture

Name: Sere
Default P101 Stickies

So

The P101 for boys is clogged with size questions. The sticky at the top says post all size questions here...
Should there be a removal or placement of all size questions there..? They take up so many threads and users that care would have a much easier viewing of such questions.

(I don't care about this but the amount of people clogging and posting these questions in separate threads annoys me)

Hello I'm Sere
If you wanna talk or need help on anything at all,
hit me up!
I used to be hjhj
Sere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 05:05 PM   #2
Endeavour
Global Moderator

Endeavour's Forum Picture

Default Re: P101 Stickies

People just don't want to use the stickies. It's that simple. I think it would be a little unfair to say that people have to use the stickies though.

But if you're that bothered about seeing all those puberty posts, just hide it through your user CP.

Global Moderator
live a life you will remember

Feel free to contact me: PM [email protected]
Visit: Path to the Horizon Ask Me Anything
Endeavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:17 PM   #3
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

PlasmaHam's Forum Picture

Well, I think a this is a problem in the sense that the sheer amount of size threads suppresses legit puberty posts. Just look at Puberty for Boys. The place consists 90% of penis size and underwear threads. For people who actually want to help others with legitimate puberty concerns, this just makes it harder on them.

I don't see how it is asking too much to require all penis-size questions in one single thread. In every other forum on the site we don't allow duplicate threads regarding the same issue, why not puberty too?
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:38 PM   #4
Scarface
Retired Administrator

Scarface's Forum Picture

Name: Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
Well, I think a this is a problem in the sense that the sheer amount of size threads suppresses legit puberty posts. Just look at Puberty for Boys. The place consists 90% of penis size and underwear threads. For people who actually want to help others with legitimate puberty concerns, this just makes it harder on them.

I don't see how it is asking too much to require all penis-size questions in one single thread. In every other forum on the site we don't allow duplicate threads regarding the same issue, why not puberty too?
Well here's a double edge sword for you.. we could merge all the penis size questions into the gigantic sticky. Makes things organized on that specific forum right? I think so. However that sticky would literally be a cluster fuck. Information would be so spread out and confusing that any new user would find that specific thread a nightmare.

Proposal- since that thread is old and I've seen our staff creating new threads when certain pages are reached. We could unsticky that thread and make a more broad, but direct new sticky for that forum. Though you still cannot guarantee that new users will know about it or see it.

The downside- we want all users at virtual teen to feel as individualized as possible. Give them attention on their own thread and answer their question directly. Though the sticky grants them a myriad of answers it also doesn't allow for much broader questions of that variety. So a more descriptive sticky would be created. New isn't such a bad thing.

If the new sticky were to happen I feel as though we should collaboratively decide what should be included in that sticky or if more than one should be made and the entire sticky section for that forum to be revamped.

Thoughts?

Contact me if you need to talk. I'm always here to help all
you have to do is be honest.

Never Let Go
Act as if it were IMPOSSIBLE to fail.
<3 Mikey
The Need For Speed!

R&G Forever until it turns gray...then it will still thrive
I<3 TheVTStaff
Smart ass #1
Supportive Presence
Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:54 PM   #5
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

I agree with giving people individual liberty to post as they may, and for most forums here that idea works. However, P101 has crossed the line from individual liberty into a detriment to the forum. And to be honest, there are far more pressing puberty questions we need to be answering than constantly telling boys their penis is a normal length.

I like the idea of a recurring sticky thread. After a set amount of time or number of posts, we un-sticky it and create a fresh one.
Old September 13th, 2017, 08:09 PM   #6
Scarface
Retired Administrator

Scarface's Forum Picture

The stickies in that forum are 10 years old. Although a great part of history and a legendary member at that. It could always be an experiment of or own to possibly write some new stickies. Granted it's approved :p however the fact still remains that as long as there are pre pubescent boys on earth. There will always be that curiosity lol I think it could bit us in the ass if we were to restrict someone who isn't necessarily breaking the rules from making their own thread about their specific question as then we would also have to take into consideration the mass amounts of other repetitious questions that appear in those forums. I'm all for change and growth, but this is definitely something we need to be extremely precise and firm about. Especially if it's going to be for that entire board.

Never Let Go
<3 Mikey
The Need For Speed!

I<3 TheVTStaff
Smart ass #1
Supportive Presence
Old September 13th, 2017, 08:57 PM   #7
PinkFloyd
Steve Jobs' Bitch

PinkFloyd's Forum Picture

Name: Rob

That's kind of how it's always been and it'll always be that way. People have questions, and want answers from people specific to their own question, even if their question has been answered 700 times. Dick size is a big deal to like virtually every guy, myself included, so I'm gonna say they deserve the break.

"My mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." Fred Rogers
PinkFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 10:04 PM   #8
xXl0sth0peXx
Administrator

xXl0sth0peXx's Forum Picture

Name: Val

I think that it's a double edge sword. People do want their own threads to get their own questions answered. And I think that's fine honestly. That's like saying that in the eating disorders forum, all posts about anorexia have to go into this one sticky thread. That's not fair, and it's not giving users the individualized attention that they deserve. So at that, what do we do? We could recreate the stickies as Ronnie suggested, which isn't a bad idea, or we can just get rid of them, since they don't get properly used. Or we just make a new sticky completely, and kind of revisit p101 guidelines, because as mentioned, they've been around for a while, with only minor edits. What kind of changes, I don't know, but it could be as simple as sending any underwear threads out of p101 or something. It'd be something to discuss for sure.

Feel free to contact me: [email protected]|PM me
Feel free to visit: Ask Me|Diary|My Tumblr

"Perfect. Nice and bright outside. Wow, I'm so rococo x.X" - Bethany
~Steven
- Ali
xXl0sth0peXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 10:36 PM   #9
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

I can see an argument for the continued existence for penis size threads. It is a legitimate issues for many guys, fits in the confines of puberty, and are going to be made regardless of stickies. Personally I still think there should be a singular penis size thread, but when it comes to fixing P101, that is low on my list.

Honestly, I think our priority should be further defining and enforcing P101 guidelines. As Val stated, an idea would be to move underwear threads out of puberty, and move them to fashion, which would make more sense logically. We could also look at restricting surveys within P101. There is no sensible reason for 5 puberty surveys to be running concurrently. There are various other little things we could look at as well, to help organize P101.
Old September 13th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #10
Dalcourt
VT Lover

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut

I feel sticky threads aren't that much used in general...exception the no self harm calendar...but then it's not about asking a question.

To incorporate questions in a sticky thread is almost impossible since people want to see their questions individually answered and not dissappear in a sea of the same question hence the many similar threads out there.

So stickies could be used for info...like the one created by Kat for the puberty for all but I don't really see a future for size or masturbation questions as a huge sticky.
The only thing we could do is maybe create a huge survey incorporating as many questions like in the introduction survey.
But then creation of new surveys must be better monitorEd or forbidden.

The section could be decluttered by moving stuff to other forums....but I'm afraid that would mean a lot if work for staff.

And revising the guidelines...in what way? Guess they are rather strict anyway to be honest...just think about the huge numbers of closed threads.
Teen sexuality is changing...a lot of people are exposed to internet port from a young age on ... naturally they have different and maybe inappropriate sounding questions than kids had back in the days.
So if the guidelines are revised there would have been a lot of things to consider.
Dalcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 06:20 AM   #11
Scarface
Retired Administrator

Scarface's Forum Picture

Speaking of large amounts of locked threads. I remember when the archive was first created. It was a massive purge of the entire puberty section and everything was moved there. As new generations come to vt, it brings new opportunities for growth. We all just have to be willing for change and be able to brainstorm together. It's easier to keep things the same because why fix it if it ain't broke? Well in instances like this with there being so many questionable things, maybe guidelines not clear enough, people not being familiar with the stickies and to point out the obvious; people joining for the wrong reasons.

Tonight when I get home from work I'm going to see if I can find a mod to add to where before a user may post on those forums they have to accept/read the information provided. I'm hoping it's available because pages like that have been around since 3.8. If I can find it I'll show it to you guys to see what you think. Otherwise if I cannot find such a thing, I think it still would be a good idea for those stickies to be updated. Nearly all the major stickies have been modified or overhauled. So why not p101?

I am not opposed to seeing the same thread thousands of times lol I've been here going to be going on 9 years. I've nearly seen it all!

Never Let Go
<3 Mikey
The Need For Speed!

I<3 TheVTStaff
Smart ass #1
Supportive Presence
Old September 14th, 2017, 10:49 AM   #12
Just JT
I give a actual fuck

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

I've been even in other forums where you are granted permissions based on some criteria before you can either enter or post in some sections. Is that somethings that's possible? That way members would kinda need to earn the privelidge I guess to post in p101.

And also, what if there was 1 mod who's job was only to review and approve, or direct members posts, before they are posted. In other words, a member would been to submit a new post for approval in p101. It caould be approved, deememd innappropriate before it goes live, or the member could be directed to another live thread on the same or similar topic still open.

Just some ideas I thought of. To me p101 is such a pain to even try and read, the legit ones anyways. I really do like offering advice, and is a valued (imo) forum. But there's so much crap ther, I just block it all together and stay out of it

With better guidelines, think it could be a better place. And if more stringent guidelines drive some members off because we make p101 more stringent, so be it. May be that those could be so,e members who have motives that are inconsistent with the intent of VT and P101
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 10:57 AM   #13
Endeavour
Global Moderator

Endeavour's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just JT View Post
I've been even in other forums where you are granted permissions based on some criteria before you can either enter or post in some sections. Is that somethings that's possible? That way members would kinda need to earn the privelidge I guess to post in p101.

And also, what if there was 1 mod who's job was only to review and approve, or direct members posts, before they are posted. In other words, a member would been to submit a new post for approval in p101. It caould be approved, deememd innappropriate before it goes live, or the member could be directed to another live thread on the same or similar topic still open.

Just some ideas I thought of. To me p101 is such a pain to even try and read, the legit ones anyways. I really do like offering advice, and is a valued (imo) forum. But there's so much crap ther, I just block it all together and stay out of it

With better guidelines, think it could be a better place. And if more stringent guidelines drive some members off because we make p101 more stringent, so be it. May be that those could be so,e members who have motives that are inconsistent with the intent of VT and P101
I don't think it would be a good idea to have to "earn" your way into p101, that would drive away lots of people from joining up which wouldn't be fair on those legitimate people who actually want to use the puberty forums in an appropriate way.

We already moderate all new user's visitor messages until they have 3 months membership and 250 posts. There is an option for posts having to be moderated until a member reaches a certain criteria, but that would just add so much work to the mod's workload given the popularity of p101. Whilst in theory, it's a good idea, in practice I just don't think it will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Tonight when I get home from work I'm going to see if I can find a mod to add to where before a user may post on those forums they have to accept/read the information provided. I'm hoping it's available because pages like that have been around since 3.8. If I can find it I'll show it to you guys to see what you think.
I believe there's a link to the rules in the welcome PM (not entirely sure though) but to be honest how would we know that the people actually read the guidelines and they don't just tick a box or whatever to say that they've read it when they actually haven't.

Global Moderator
live a life you will remember

Feel free to contact me: PM [email protected]
Visit: Path to the Horizon Ask Me Anything
Endeavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 11:04 AM   #14
Living For Love
VT Lover

Living For Love's Forum Picture

Name: Tiago

I've thought about those P101 stickies before and, honestly, I think it's better if we just get rid of them. People don't use them that often and when they do, conversations always end up becoming inappropriate. Like it has been said here, penis size is something most boys are worried about and it makes sense that each person has the right to create their own thread about the subject. Having multiple threads about this particular subject is something I'm personally willing to allow, because of how personal that issue can become.

Tiago | ♂ | 20 | PM | VM | Ask Me | Lonely Hearts Club

Help and Advice Moderator

~Mike was here~
Living For Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 11:50 AM   #15
Scarface
Retired Administrator

Scarface's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour View Post
I don't think it would be a good idea to have to "earn" your way into p101, that would drive away lots of people from joining up which wouldn't be fair on those legitimate people who actually want to use the puberty forums in an appropriate way.

We already moderate all new user's visitor messages until they have 3 months membership and 250 posts. There is an option for posts having to be moderated until a member reaches a certain criteria, but that would just add so much work to the mod's workload given the popularity of p101. Whilst in theory, it's a good idea, in practice I just don't think it will work.

I believe there's a link to the rules in the welcome PM (not entirely sure though) but to be honest how would we know that the people actually read the guidelines and they don't just tick a box or whatever to say that they've read it when they actually haven't.
You make a valid point. However the guidelines would be clear as day and right in front of their face. There wouldn't be any 'oh I didn't know that' shit. A lot of people really don't view the rules. When I was an administrator. My pm sent out rules and simple guidelines. Not sure if it was modified since my time. For people who are reading they wouldn't do it.

As for moderating those p101 posts. The staff would be very very busy bees. Although that's a decent idea given its current state I'm not sure it's possible at this time. Keep thinking of new ideas and I'll go shopping for some new tools

Never Let Go
<3 Mikey
The Need For Speed!

I<3 TheVTStaff
Smart ass #1
Supportive Presence
Old September 14th, 2017, 02:32 PM   #16
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

I like @Scarface's idea of having a page come up for users below a certain post-count regarding P101 rules is a good idea for that forum. It would make sure every user is aware of the rules before posting. Sure, there will still be some users who will just proceed on without reading, but it will still expose them to the rules. If such a system isn't too hard to implement, I would see no downside in setting that up.

There is a good point regarding the staff not having the current availability to handle every new P101 post. The only way I would see such a system working is if we hired more staff to handle those requests. Perhaps sometime in the future we could look into creating a new staff position, one that just verifies posts and VMs. It could be a good testing position for possibly promotion to mod, but that is a discussion for another day.
Old September 14th, 2017, 02:48 PM   #17
Scarface
Retired Administrator

Scarface's Forum Picture

Quote:
I like @Scarface's idea of having a page come up for users below a certain post-count regarding P101 rules is a good idea for that forum. It would make sure every user is aware of the rules before posting. Sure, there will still be some users who will just proceed on without reading, but it will still expose them to the rules. If such a system isn't too hard to implement, I would see no downside in setting that up.

There is a good point regarding the staff not having the current availability to handle every new P101 post. The only way I would see such a system working is if we hired more staff to handle those requests. Perhaps sometime in the future we could look into creating a new staff position, one that just verifies posts and VMs. It could be a good testing position for possibly promotion to mod, but that is a discussion for another day.
The only thing I don't like about that last piece is there being another position/title. There's already enough hierarchy to deal with and a whole lot of politics drama/bullshit. I tried to do everything I could to avoid anymore ladder climbing than there already is lol. On a forum this large there are different mods that you can add that can help you. If you're curious check it out

Never Let Go
<3 Mikey
The Need For Speed!

I<3 TheVTStaff
Smart ass #1
Supportive Presence
Old September 14th, 2017, 03:03 PM   #18
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
The only thing I don't like about that last piece is there being another position/title. There's already enough hierarchy to deal with and a whole lot of politics drama/bullshit. I tried to do everything I could to avoid anymore ladder climbing than there already is lol. On a forum this large there are different mods that you can add that can help you. If you're curious check it out
Yea, well it was just my ramblings. I've just noticed that compared to other forums of similar size, VT is on the small size when it comes to staff. IDK if there is a set size for the VT staff or not, but it wouldn't be a bad idea about possibly expanding some positions. But again, that is a discussion for another time and place, let's not get bogged down on that.

I'll take a browse through those. There may be a few we could look into for VT.
Old September 14th, 2017, 03:39 PM   #19
Scarface
Retired Administrator

Scarface's Forum Picture

Quote:
Yea, well it was just my ramblings. I've just noticed that compared to other forums of similar size, VT is on the small size when it comes to staff. IDK if there is a set size for the VT staff or not, but it wouldn't be a bad idea about possibly expanding some positions. But again, that is a discussion for another time and place, let's not get bogged down on that.

I'll take a browse through those. There may be a few we could look into for VT.
Hey brother I ain't hating for it. Like I've said before. Ideas are always welcome in my book. Having some fresh eyes on things always makes things brighter in my opinion.

Never Let Go
<3 Mikey
The Need For Speed!

I<3 TheVTStaff
Smart ass #1
Supportive Presence
Old September 14th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #20
Dalcourt
VT Lover

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut

Reading through all the posts here and looking into the puberty threads I am not sure why every couple of months people make such a big deal about it.

Most posts are according to the rules...it's just the sheer number of it that might be annoying sometimes but there it is don't like it don't read it.

To make the rules more prominent for the users there... nice new feature but I don't really think it will prevent someone from posting inappropriate stuff.

The stickies, the original topic of the thread here could be removed completely imo as they don't really help reducing threads.

A huge problem I see is that all the stuff closed and moved to p101 just stays there for everyone else to read or be found over search engines. This is a thing that keeps attracting pervs anden weirdos imo since they see the site as a place for stuff like that.
It was said earing this year that everything should be kept there for the sake of members being able to read as some sort of archive.

This might be a valid point but I feel it also sorta triggers the creation of similar threads if questions weren't answered there...just look into what threads are closed and moved there every day.

So getting rid of a great deal of inappropriate stuff there might be useful

As a whole I feel that the whole puberty thread will always trigger inappropriate posting no matter what rules or controls there are...reading through it will never be for the prudish and squeamish. That's why we all have the possibility for blocking it.

It might be nasty to read sometimes, okay agreed, still in my personal opinion it is one of the more harmless places on VT...pervs and trolls can be easily spotted. It's the other sections where seemingly harmless posts do why more harm to peope reading it...just think about yesterday eating disorder or self harm forums and how easily stuff there could trigger other users.

So whenever the whole "how horrible the puberty stuff is" discussion comes up I can't help thinking that people concentrate on the wrong thing here.
Dalcourt is offline   Reply With Quote