Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old August 2nd, 2017, 10:34 PM   #21
Dalcourt
VT Lover

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut
Default Re: Deleted Posts: Puberty Forums

I honestly don't understand where this thread is going to.

The OP poster complained about staff being too strict with locking/ deleting his posts and wants an explanation for it.

Now suddenly staff has to defend themselves for being to lax in the puberty section??

So my two cents on this always reappearinget topic:

I am not really bothered by the puberty section so I haven't blocked it and never would.
Most is just rather immature and funny to read. I would not answer any of those questions. It's not that I'm a prude who doesn't talk about such topics but just not here on the net. I used to talk similar stuff with guys from school or so. Or I asked my Dad when I had a real question.

Sometimes it's hard to say what is appropriate and what not according to the forum rules. It greatly depends on personal feelings. Lots of things get locked that I feel are rather harmless.

After all it is just talking nothing more.
Sure there are perverts here that post stuff to make kids answer and get off on it. But honestly I don't really see them only in the puberty section. There are so many threads everything feels okay with in the family section about punishment that always come to people asking detailed questions about how people are spanked....really sounds like pedos with a spanking fetish to me but seems okay to everyone since it hardly ever gets locked but once someone says "penis"people freak out.

We still can't forget that there are lots of kids out there who really have nobody to talk to about sexual things or simply are too shy.

Always punishing by locking/deleting stuff givesome the impression that sexual things are somehow wrong and forbidden. Sexual interests are unnecessary demonized, a dangerous thing that in the end results into teens feeling like perverts or something is wrong with their sexuality.

Sometimes instead of simply locking threads it would help to just change the wording a bit, since when it comes to sex seem stuff might sound inappropriate but it's still legitimate things to ask. And trolls and pervs are always easily to spot ...once you start reading through those things and get a feeling for it.
Dalcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 10:30 AM   #22
kryptonite
Member++

Oddly enough, I have noticed that sometimes, a post will get moved to the archives while very similar posts are allowed to stay. Sometimes, I wonder if the mods operate on the same policies or if there's leeway for interpretation.

With that said, some stuff that gets locked could be suitable for another forum.
kryptonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #23
Melodic
VT's Rising Vocalist

Melodic's Forum Picture

Name: Madie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour View Post
As I've said previously, whilst yes our primary job is to lock these threads ourselves, but if we don't catch something, and the general users don't report it, these threads will keep on getting worse and nothing will get better.

Wait since when has it been the members responsibility to watch & make sure everyone is behaving on the P101 or the site in general? Yes, It's helpful when they do report but I feel it's not something you should expect or force them to do. And honestly, I feel they shouldn't be told the site will keep getting worse if they don't voluntarily report for you guys.

Also. I understand you only have 2 members on Help & Advice so you both can't see all the posts because we all have personal lives outside of VT. In that case, I feel the admins should try to recruit 1 or 2 more moderators for that section. That's what needs to happen.

"May the space of where I am, and where I want to be inspire me"
Melodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 05:42 PM   #24
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodic View Post
Wait since when has it been the members responsibility to watch & make sure everyone is behaving on the P101 or the site in general? Yes, It's helpful when they do report but I feel it's not something you should expect or force them to do. And honestly, I feel they shouldn't be told the site will keep getting worse if they don't voluntarily report for you guys.

Also. I understand you only have 2 members on Help & Advice so you both can't see all the posts because we all have personal lives outside of VT. In that case, I feel the admins should try to recruit 1 or 2 more moderators for that section. That's what needs to happen.
I don't think the intent was to push responsibility to the regular members or blame them or something. Maybe I'm Speaking out of turn, but I think we as members should report stuff we feel is out of line. That's why there's that little triangle in the bottom left. Mods can't be everywhere

And I think they've been trying to get some. But not sure.
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 06:07 PM   #25
DerBear
Retired H&A Mod

DerBear's Forum Picture

Name: Derri

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
Oddly enough, I have noticed that sometimes, a post will get moved to the archives while very similar posts are allowed to stay. Sometimes, I wonder if the mods operate on the same policies or if there's leeway for interpretation.

With that said, some stuff that gets locked could be suitable for another forum.
Speaking as a former Help and Advice mod I can say that moderating puberty 101 is difficult. The general key is consistency when moderating that particular area. Staff have guidelines as well as the general puberty 101 rules to use a guideline when moderating. However there is room for interpretation of what is considered against the rules.

This is known as the 'gray area'.

The gray area is where something might be allowed or is borderline off topic. Now this is where it gets more tricky. Personally I took the approach to stomp down on content that was in the gray area or borderline. Why? Well.....P101 is messy at the best of times and allowing a lot of borderline topics meant it looked even worse.

So that's why some mods will leave topics and others will be more strict. Because there does exist a gray area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodic View Post

I don't think that's what he was implying exactly. I believe he was saying that many members will read the content and not report it. Nowhere in the rules does it state that member has to report content they believe inappropriate. However it does help and is mentioned many times in the site rules:

Quote:
It is at the discretion of a moderator as to what may constitute as explicit content. If you are unsure about posting something or you see content that you believe should be removed, contact a moderator directly or report the post(s) in question.
What I will say is that if you see content that you believe is inappropriate and chose not report the content then you can't complain that the area is messy. I mean if you regularly go in and see content that you think violates the rules and fail to report it, you can't in turn complain.

Now it is a moderators job to keep the section clean and obviously they're not only to rely on reported content. All mods should be actively cleansing their sections. To give insight into what I used to do when logging on as a moderator is as follows:
  1. Check Reported Content - Generally if anything major was going down like a cam thread or solicitation thread then those get reported quickly
  2. Clear and approve any moderated content e.g. visitor messages
  3. Check area - usually started with P101 as that's where most stuff went down
  4. Reply to any PMs or VMs I got
  5. General site posting

Sometimes if I was only coming on for like 30 mins I'd do reports and section checks only and leave any PMs or VMs until I had more time.

I think it comes down to checking your section and not actively relying on reports from members but then again mods can't be everywhere so the staff do ask for help in keeping the site clean.

I do believe Admins have recently done a recruitment drive and will be sifting through the applications and discussing them so more staff might be hired. The lack of staff will be a contributing factor, back in my day on VT we usually always had 3 mods but in some cases 4 or even 5 H&A mods depending on the situation.

I also think it comes down to passion as well. Some people like modding but don't have a passion for it or the time for it. I had both back then until towards the end and that really helps because you were always motivated to help. Even now I moderate some other forums and I love doing that because it's a great way to engage with the community while keeping it tidy, in order and clean.

Anyway I hope my ramblings have given you an insight.

Retired Help & Advice Mod

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to send me a PM.
DerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 06:21 PM   #26
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Well said @DerBear
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2017, 06:25 PM   #27
Melodic
VT's Rising Vocalist

Melodic's Forum Picture

Name: Madie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just JT View Post
I don't think the intent was to push responsibility to the regular members or blame them or something. Maybe I'm Speaking out of turn, but I think we as members should report stuff we feel is out of line. That's why there's that little triangle in the bottom left. Mods can't be everywhere

And I think they've been trying to get some. But not sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBear View Post
I don't think that's what he was implying exactly. I believe he was saying that many members will read the content and not report it. Nowhere in the rules does it state that member has to report content they believe inappropriate. However it does help and is mentioned many times in the site rules:
Oh, okay. I have a tendency to read too much into things. It's especially harder for me when things are said online. Thank you two for clearing that one up for me!

@Endeavour, I apologize. You are just looking out for us members and I appreciate it.

"May the space of where I am, and where I want to be inspire me"
Melodic is offline   Reply With Quote