Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old May 30th, 2017, 09:28 PM   #21
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Default Re: Contacted by my first pedophile

Yeah this is why I haven't given my contact info out to anybody.

You communicate with me on VT forums and the contact ends there.

I totally second the safety recommendations mentioned by others above me.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2017, 09:34 PM   #22
Theq3girl

Theq3girl's Forum Picture

Name: Ally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilyyy View Post
Yeah without mentioning names there's a few very dodgy people on this site. I just stick to the advice around sharing of information and way to contact off VT and keep any chats on the VT PM system, that way anyone that I think is a threat I can contact VT staff and it's all on the site for them to see
I agree you always want to be suspicious of other people especially online

Im 18, bisexual and living in Maryland always willing to give advice on anything, Just ask
Theq3girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2017, 01:56 AM   #23
Cloud_Strife
Member+

Cloud_Strife's Forum Picture

That's horrible! I hope things are okay with you now!
Cloud_Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2017, 02:31 PM   #24
Uniquemind
VT Lover

You'll also notice I don't post any photos.

That's not an accident and I will only upload an image of something I like, like a favorite meal picture or something generic.

I came here to give advice, ask for advice, and talk current events. Not really mingle or flirt, so that keeps things simple for me.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2017, 10:19 AM   #25
Desdemona

Desdemona's Forum Picture

Name: Desdemona (Desi)

I won't upload any photos of my face, but my profile picture is me.

14/f/bi. Math and science geek. Avid reader, love books. I live in the desert.
Desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2017, 07:36 PM   #26
Drunkenprofesser

Drunkenprofesser's Forum Picture

See this is the problem with society, people just cannot seem to grasp the concept of being a normal decent human being. they seem to have a need to go around ruining peoples lives just to fuel their own sick fantasies and desires. it sickens me

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Dont be shy, I dont bite, Message me
Drunkenprofesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 03:49 PM   #27
Periphery
Professional Spivak

Periphery's Forum Picture

You know, what disturbs me a bit is how we all just seem to accept this. VT is full of fake accounts, and it's no news for anyone who has been on here for some time. P101 especially is known for a lot of fake accounts. What I see happening is fake accounts being banned just returning to VT, and nothing is being done about it. The proof is there, it's really obvious that they are the same people with a different username and after dozens of reports nothing is being done. I wonder, why is that? I feel like VT is dying, I'll be honest. It has been for quite some time now. Part of this, and this is from what I see and it may not be true at all, is how fakes aren't being dealt with enough. Yes you can lock inappropriate P101 threads, yes you can delete posts but that's the result that's being dealt with, not the actual core of the problem. I just want to know, and this is a question I have for the staff members here, if you are reading this I would like to ask you to reply, and I will listen. How come that obvious fake accounts, inappropriate pictures and sometimes even inappropriate content aren't always being dealt with? It's killing VT. Aren't you worried your members will leave because pedo's will contact your underage members, like in this case? If I were you, I'd be insanely worried about this, because it can ruin your reputation quite badly. I really just want answers, what is going on? Why is it that these accounts seem to be allowed to run around freely on VT?

Something else I would like to add, where is the senior staff? This is not meant as an insult or in a bad way at all, and I'm sure there is a reason for this. What I see as the role of the senior staff, is to make people feel safe. To make sure the members of the community are happy and if there are any problems make sure they will be solved. Now, this may or may not get a lot of shit but please, to all the staff members who will reply to this be kind, I'm not meaning this in a bad way, I'm just trying to find answers really. I, personally don't see the senior staff around a lot anymore. They are invisible, which is something I can understand. I get that for privacy reasons you may want that, to make sure you're not bombarded with questions everytime you come online, I really do get that. It does however limit something, how easy it is for others to approach you. In my opinion, the senior staff should make their presence clear, and be approachable. Instead, and this is from what I am seeing, the senior staff on VT isn't. I get that you are busy, that life gets in the way sometimes, but that doesn't mean you can't check in on VT and post around every few days, to make sure people are aware of you being there. That is my problem here, because as far as I'm aware the regular moderators on VT can't ban people, which brings us back to the original problem.

What I am asking for, is to atleast be more approachable. For most members it's not that easy to just message an admin. They'll be scared they'll get told off, or ruin their reputation. I think I'm speaking on behalf of a lot of members here. I'm not saying you're doing a bad job, I'm saying that in VT's current state, it should be more.
@Elysium @ImCoolBeans @xXl0sth0peXx

When you're taught to love everyone, to love your enemies, then what value does that place on love?
-Marilyn Manson

Android? We can't be friends sorry!!!!!
-Proof Bob is a peasant

~Richelle was here~
Periphery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 04:25 PM   #28
Endeavour
Global Moderator

Endeavour's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
You know, what disturbs me a bit is how we all just seem to accept this. VT is full of fake accounts, and it's no news for anyone who has been on here for some time. P101 especially is known for a lot of fake accounts. What I see happening is fake accounts being banned just returning to VT, and nothing is being done about it. The proof is there, it's really obvious that they are the same people with a different username and after dozens of reports nothing is being done. I wonder, why is that? I feel like VT is dying, I'll be honest. It has been for quite some time now. Part of this, and this is from what I see and it may not be true at all, is how fakes aren't being dealt with enough. Yes you can lock inappropriate P101 threads, yes you can delete posts but that's the result that's being dealt with, not the actual core of the problem. I just want to know, and this is a question I have for the staff members here, if you are reading this I would like to ask you to reply, and I will listen. How come that obvious fake accounts, inappropriate pictures and sometimes even inappropriate content aren't always being dealt with? It's killing VT. Aren't you worried your members will leave because pedo's will contact your underage members, like in this case? If I were you, I'd be insanely worried about this, because it can ruin your reputation quite badly. I really just want answers, what is going on? Why is it that these accounts seem to be allowed to run around freely on VT?

Something else I would like to add, where is the senior staff? This is not meant as an insult or in a bad way at all, and I'm sure there is a reason for this. What I see as the role of the senior staff, is to make people feel safe. To make sure the members of the community are happy and if there are any problems make sure they will be solved. Now, this may or may not get a lot of shit but please, to all the staff members who will reply to this be kind, I'm not meaning this in a bad way, I'm just trying to find answers really. I, personally don't see the senior staff around a lot anymore. They are invisible, which is something I can understand. I get that for privacy reasons you may want that, to make sure you're not bombarded with questions everytime you come online, I really do get that. It does however limit something, how easy it is for others to approach you. In my opinion, the senior staff should make their presence clear, and be approachable. Instead, and this is from what I am seeing, the senior staff on VT isn't. I get that you are busy, that life gets in the way sometimes, but that doesn't mean you can't check in on VT and post around every few days, to make sure people are aware of you being there. That is my problem here, because as far as I'm aware the regular moderators on VT can't ban people, which brings us back to the original problem.

What I am asking for, is to atleast be more approachable. For most members it's not that easy to just message an admin. They'll be scared they'll get told off, or ruin their reputation. I think I'm speaking on behalf of a lot of members here. I'm not saying you're doing a bad job, I'm saying that in VT's current state, it should be more.
@Elysium @ImCoolBeans @xXl0sth0peXx
I'm not senior staff, but let me just say if things get reported we will take them seriously. There is a lot of work behind the scenes that only the senior staff have to do, such as looking through people's PM's and handling freezes that the sectional moderators do; due to this, the senior staff may not seem as active as they actually are. In addition to that, as you say, all the staff have lives outside of VT with school, jobs, etc which means we may not be able to get on everyday. All the staff are approachable, if you send us a message we will look into it and take action where this is required as soon as we can.

Global Moderator
live a life you will remember

Feel free to contact me: PM[email protected]
Visit: Path to the HorizonAsk Me Anything
Endeavour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 04:29 PM   #29
Periphery
Professional Spivak

Periphery's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour View Post
I'm not senior staff, but let me just say if things get reported we will take them seriously. There is a lot of work behind the scenes that only the senior staff have to do, such as looking through people's PM's and handling freezes that the sectional moderators do; due to this, the senior staff may not seem as active as they actually are. In addition to that, as you say, all the staff have lives outside of VT with school, jobs, etc which means we may not be able to get on everyday. All the staff are approachable, if you send us a message we will look into it and take action where this is required as soon as we can.
I actually have an account I have reported countless of times, and I just feel like it's just being ignored. I have that feeling with quite a lot of my reports. May just be me. I know they have lives, and I know you can send the staff PM's, but does it seem like it? I feel like it doesn't look like it, and the imagine I am personally getting is the exact opposite, which is something that I feel like should change. I personally don't feel like I can approach someone if they are not seen, if I am not sure if the person is still active, or if I am doubting my message will get read.

When you're taught to love everyone, to love your enemies, then what value does that place on love?
-Marilyn Manson

Android? We can't be friends sorry!!!!!
-Proof Bob is a peasant

~Richelle was here~
Periphery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 07:34 PM   #30
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

PlasmaHam's Forum Picture

I reiterate @The Special One points above. The administration have not shown themselves approachable, are repeatedly slow to respond to reports, inactive on the site, and always hide behind a cloud of "secret behind the scenes work." If y'all want to stop pedophiles (which I am sure you do) then there needs to be more on-stage effort. VT needs a proactive, public effort to quell the pit of pedophile and sexual filth the puberty forums have become. People need to be made aware, and there needs to be an effective and swift crackdown. Yet nothing is happening, and that is scary.

Look, everyone here understands that you can't devote your whole being into VT. Y'all have work and school like the rest of us. But when you don't posts for three months, take 3 weeks to respond to pedophile reports, take 10+ months to find a suitable chat replacement, and allow P101 to rub rampant with inappropriate users and threads, then you might consider doing the right thing by hiring users to the senior staff who actually have the time to fix those problems.
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2017, 07:54 PM   #31
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
I actually have an account I have reported countless of times, and I just feel like it's just being ignored. I have that feeling with quite a lot of my reports. May just be me. I know they have lives, and I know you can send the staff PM's, but does it seem like it? I feel like it doesn't look like it, and the imagine I am personally getting is the exact opposite, which is something that I feel like should change. I personally don't feel like I can approach someone if they are not seen, if I am not sure if the person is still active, or if I am doubting my message will get read.
I am still here. I check VT on a daily basis and handle what I can. My power is limited compared to the administrators. Mike - ImCoolBeans - otherwise known as the site owner, has not logged on VT since April 9th. We haven't been able to get a hold of him. He's okay as far as we know, but busy. Val - xXl0sth0peXx - has been as present as she can be, but she also doesn't have as much power and she's busy leading her own adult life. (She's also been dedicating her time to some more backend stuff - we haven't forgotten about the possibility of a Religion & Philosophy forum!)

I am capable of basic moderation in all areas of the site, banning users, and seeing basic account details. That's it. I can't check PMs and I don't have access to any of the backend stuff the administrators do. I'm doing my best to keep things running on my own, but progress is difficult when it's mostly just me. Val has been trying her absolute best and I want to recognize her for it. She's here too, but doesn't have as much time to dedicate.

Basically, I can keep things more or less running, but I can't necessarily make any sort of progress or new developments.

In the case you're talking about, I cannot find any conclusive proof on my end that that person is fake or a duplicate. Administrators might be able to find more, but I don't know. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place(s). If you come to me with solid evidence I'll be happy to take another look.

I know I'm not that approachable and that has way more to do with my own personal issues and comfort than anything else. I won't compromise myself for a volunteer job. But I am here, for what it's worth. And I'm trying my best. I'm truly sorry that my best isn't good enough and I know it's not. I will never be as friendly or warm or present as other staff members, past and current, nor will I ever be as confident in myself and my decisions and authority. And I'm sorry that I'm not the best suited for this job in a lot of ways, but in other, more private ways, I think I'm doing the best I can. And I really don't think I'm doing too badly, all in all.

I want to promise you that you're not being ignored, but to tell you the truth I can't make any promises for anyone other than myself. And I have my own life to live, too.

If you PM me, you will receive a response. It might not always be to your liking, but I can promise you're being heard and considered.

To you and to anyone else: if you're reporting a fake and/or duplicate account, I really need conclusive proof. If you suspect someone, I can look into it as much as my power will allow, but if you can provide proof, that makes it a lot easier. I don't have the time to be reading every single post. Bring me posts that are alike or suspicious, account details, pictures, etc. If nothing happens, there's either not enough proof or something on the backend that proves or otherwise suggests that they are indeed legit - but of course I can only ever disclose so much information.

Have I missed anything? I want to be as transparent as possible here.

Editing to address @PlasmaHam -
I am not capable of promoting or hiring anyone to senior staff to help me. It isn't primarily my job to be handling basic moderation - that's what our greenies are for - but if you think not enough is being done, I can try to step in and help out more in that regard too.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 02:10 AM   #32
Aldee

Name: Alex

Sorry this happened to you. Hopefully if this happens to anyone on the forum they feel comfortable enough to report it.
Aldee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 02:53 PM   #33
Nadin

Nadin's Forum Picture

Name: Nadin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona View Post
There are Vt users who aren't who they say they are. Naively I gave one of them my email.
My email contains my full name, but that isn't enough to find me in the US. My dad who I live with has a different name as well. But I still worry.

I said that if I receive more messages I will report that person to the police. I'm just 14.

And Mr Pedo - we live in the West. There are guns everywhere in my house so just try something!!!
I didn't know there were pedophiles here too.One of the main reasons I chose this forum over others is that the community is not that big and presence of pedophiles is very low(at least I hope).
Did you report it to police?
Everyone out here should be careful,there are some pedophiles that go to the next level.I know a case where one pedophile gathered informations for a year or so by tracking the girl on forums.He got her name and figured out where she lives because she mentioned in one post that she lives near one city or something like that.Also if you are a teenager and specially a girl you should not mention where do you work.Let's say you post that you work on a gas station(just an example).
How many gas stations there is in the city you live in?I bet not that much as gas stations are rare in small places(at least in Europe).
You should also not mention what do you look like,I mean if you have birth marks on your hand or nose piercing let's say.Stuff like that is very sensitive in my opinion.
I hope this guy is just some crazy freek that likes to fantasize and that he is not a stocker of some kind that will look for you all over the state that you live in.
Nadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 03:35 PM   #34
Desdemona

Desdemona's Forum Picture

Name: Desdemona (Desi)

What does P101 mean?

14/f/bi. Math and science geek. Avid reader, love books. I live in the desert.
Desdemona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 03:40 PM   #35
Endeavour
Global Moderator

Endeavour's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona View Post
What does P101 mean?
The puberty forums - the full name of it is "Puberty 101" which we commonly abbreviate to P101.

Global Moderator
live a life you will remember

Feel free to contact me: PM[email protected]
Visit: Path to the HorizonAsk Me Anything
Endeavour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 06:45 PM   #36
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadin View Post
I didn't know there were pedophiles here too.One of the main reasons I chose this forum over others is that the community is not that big and presence of pedophiles is very low(at least I hope).
Did you report it to police?
Everyone out here should be careful,there are some pedophiles that go to the next level.I know a case where one pedophile gathered informations for a year or so by tracking the girl on forums.He got her name and figured out where she lives because she mentioned in one post that she lives near one city or something like that.Also if you are a teenager and specially a girl you should not mention where do you work.Let's say you post that you work on a gas station(just an example).
How many gas stations there is in the city you live in?I bet not that much as gas stations are rare in small places(at least in Europe).
You should also not mention what do you look like,I mean if you have birth marks on your hand or nose piercing let's say.Stuff like that is very sensitive in my opinion.
I hope this guy is just some crazy freek that likes to fantasize and that he is not a stocker of some kind that will look for you all over the state that you live in.
It's an unfortunate reality in VT. People will join under false identities. It can be pretty bad. So as a new user here, and listen to what's. ding said, I've had some of the same experiences. Do not give any personal information or contact info to anyone. The few I have shared with are ones I pm'd with for a very. Sry long time. And even then as time goes on, you learn.

@Uniquemind said it very well. Basically saying if we talk here then we'll only talk here. Just keep it that way and you'll always be safe.
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 12:51 AM   #37
Babs
draft dodger

Babs's Forum Picture

I was catfished by a grown man with kids when I was 12. He called me pretty a lot and when you're 12 you're just excited that a boy is paying attention to you. but I gtfo real quick because he refused to show his face. I found out who he really was months after the fact when I turned 13 and was allowed to make a facebook account. We both had our phone numbers connected to fb, so he showed up in my recommended friends. yikes. I'm over it now but for a long time after I was really shaken.

Luckily I was smart enough to not let it go too far but I speak from experience when I say that you gotta be careful who you trust. Everyone has a webcam or a camera phone these days, so if they seem sketchy it's probably because they are. There are creeps out there but it is very easy to stay safe on the internet. Get to know the person before talking to them off-site. Start with snapchat or something innocent like that. It's all just a horror story until it happens to you.
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 01:03 AM   #38
Jspams

I'm sorry! Hopefully, all of us can grow, and use this for the references and possible warning signs if anything was to happen in the future!

Not actually spamming... feel free to HMU about anything!
Jspams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 12:32 AM   #39
Freckles

Freckles's Forum Picture

Name: Nathan

I just posted my concerns about this a few minutes ago in the HQ forums.
Freckles is offline   Reply With Quote