Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old May 18th, 2017, 07:00 AM   #1
Rhys2001

Question Asperger Syndrome

Recently I was reading up about a pianist and realised he had many of the same or similar traits that I have. I then discovered he had Asperger syndrome. After reading about the condition I have come to realise that, on a mild level, I experience many of the traits associated with it.

I am passionate about music, I have my grade 8 piano, which I received 18 months after my grade 3. Grade 8 cello after 18 months too. I'm doing additional maths right now and will be doing further maths next year. I have reactions to senses and memories - sort of high level cringing - I end up twitching because of it. I have 3 friends, I am friendly with many many more people but I would do anything for those 3 people; they are part of me. I hug them all day long. I am described as the most awkward person ever and I get depressed or over think the smallest things. I also hate when people cancel on me.

Yet, aren't all of these things, to a certain extent, in everybody??

I also have no problem with reading, literally the opposite of monotone and I have no balance or coordination issues, which negate Aspergers.

Why am I like this?

Last edited by Rhys2001; May 20th, 2017 at 06:38 AM.
Rhys2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 01:12 PM   #2
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Default Re: Asperger Syndrome

How is your ability to take perspective of other's point of view on an empathetic level?
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 02:01 PM   #3
Rhys2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
How is your ability to take perspective of other's point of view on an empathetic level?
I've never thought to before. Thinking of it now, with some people I would struggle to empathise more than others.
Rhys2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 01:11 AM   #4
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys2001 View Post
I've never thought to before. Thinking of it now, with some people I would struggle to empathise more than others.
Then you might be on the spectrum which isn't a bad thing, but that's more of a tell sign if you have it.

I have 8 people in my life who are on the spectrum some of which I spent volunteer time with for community service.

That's not to say autistic people are without empathy, I just think their empathy is triggered in different ways of understanding others than is what is considered the normal method of empathy.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 03:25 AM   #5
JacoboBlandonPineda

JacoboBlandonPineda's Forum Picture

Name: Jacobo

Quote:
That's not to say autistic people are without empathy, I just think their empathy is triggered in different ways of understanding others than is what is considered the normal method of empathy.
Exactly. I've found my way of empathizing with people is more logical than most people's, but sometimes I get too empathetic, am overwhelmed by it, even with fictional characters, and my reaction seems like I'm not empathizing at all, because I don't know how to express it.

That isn't exclusive to me, as more people on the spectrum have also reported. There are some studies that conclude that we have "too much" empathy.

Quote:
I might add that empathy isn't the only thing to consider about ASD, social skills, communication and non-verbal language skills, sensory processing issues, obsessive interests, and even motor movement problems are things characteristic in autism.

I'll see you, in the not-too-distant future.
JacoboBlandonPineda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 01:59 PM   #6
Dmaxd123
Member+

i think if we look at ourselves hard enough we can find some nature of some level of a syndrome/illness/ect...

my personal feeling is as long as you are aware of your mental & physical actions, then it's a matter of w hat you do after that.

my cousin has been diagnosed with aspergers... she uses it as an excuse

for you a few close friends and extreme musical talent would be my focus... i don't need a "label" from a doctor unless it's negatively affecting my well being then it's a "whats going on in my head, how do i get around it"
Dmaxd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 08:02 PM   #7
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxd123 View Post
i think if we look at ourselves hard enough we can find some nature of some level of a syndrome/illness/ect...

my personal feeling is as long as you are aware of your mental & physical actions, then it's a matter of w hat you do after that.

my cousin has been diagnosed with aspergers... she uses it as an excuse

for you a few close friends and extreme musical talent would be my focus... i don't need a "label" from a doctor unless it's negatively affecting my well being then it's a "whats going on in my head, how do i get around it"
Exactly, it's a spectrum, it's somewhere between here and there. And we all have some of it.

Being diagnosed is a label. A label that help docs be able to treat someone medically if needed. That's all it is.
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 10:17 PM   #8
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

The danger of self-diagnosis is that you're looking for the things in yourself that you'd expect or want to see.

That said, many, many people exhibit Asperger's or other "autistic" traits with or without being diagnosed. The definition has broadened quite a bit. Ask yourself if it really matters if you're on the spectrum or not. What would this information do for you? Would it have any impact on your life? You are still the same person, whether or not part of you can be attributed to a "condition" or not.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2017, 10:34 AM   #9
cleancut
Junior Member+

Name: Cooper Strait

Everybody has stuff they deal with. I see a physiatrist and he wouldn't talk to me about a diagnosis. He said, "Everyone is different and it isn't helpful to try to categorize myself."

When I read your list of attributes I didn't think that there was anything out of the ordinary. My list of attributes is different than yours, but that only means that everyone is different.
cleancut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2017, 01:05 PM   #10
elmoc
Member+

First, mom is a MD child psychiatrist that has been in practice for 27 years. I showed the OP to her. Her comments:

I agree with the doctor that is reluctant to put a diagnosis or label on every personality quirk. You are obviously extremely gifted with musical abilities & I hope you continue to nurture that. I believe that each of us, if we really look closely, have 1 or more of the behaviors listed on the autism spectrum of "disorders." In other words, we are all a bit weird in some aspect of our personality.

Regarding your personality questions, every child I have seen, that has exceptional abilities & precarious talents, is usually much more mature, psychologically, than their peers. This can make it difficult to understand, accept, & participate in some of the things their peers do. The same thing is true of kids with exceptional abilities in math, science, literature, etc.
Your anxiety may arise from the possibility that you simply can't identify with the same interests as your peers. Example: Someone that understands the musical & mathmatecal complexities of Mozart is unlikely to hear & appreciate current pop musicians the same way as their friends.

Please, try to stop worrying about your idiosyncrasies & find the things that you DO enjoy with your friends. Enjoy your gifts!

So sayeth mom. BTW, she has published several medical research papers about Autisn Spectum Disorder & the current "pop psychology" that has so many people inappropriately falling into that category

Some days you're the bug;
some days you're the windshield.

Last edited by elmoc; July 14th, 2017 at 01:09 PM.
elmoc is offline   Reply With Quote