Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 23rd, 2017, 02:48 AM   #1
JacoboBlandonPineda

JacoboBlandonPineda's Forum Picture

Name: Jacobo
Default Do you talk to yourselves?

Ever since I've been able to speak, I have talked to myself. Apparently, many people in the autism spectrum, of which I'm on, experience this.

I've found that I do it when doing almost anything as to focus and think on what I'm doing, and analyze. In the night, it's my introspection tool to see and reflect on what I did on that day. I only do it when there isn't anyone else around listening, because I fear I might be judged, especially because I say things that would be really embarrassing in public.

I also have conversations in my head, but I'm completely aware it's my imagination. I have them on a future tense, so it's like what I would imagine interacting with people based on my life goals and what not.

Other times it's like I was making a video, I start 'explaining' a topic I was thinking of, or giving an opinion on something. Even ranting. I've found it helps to organize and better argument the thoughts on what I was thinking.

It might be weird, unconventional and kinda creepy, but it helps to keep my mind organized and focused (though my ADHD still makes that kinda hard in the end).

Does anybody else do this? Is it similar to the way I do it, or are there any differences? Please let me know

I'll see you, in the not-too-distant future.
JacoboBlandonPineda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 07:22 PM   #2
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT
Default Re: Do you talk to yourselves?

I'm not on the spectrum, but I can relate. I think it might be more of my ADHD kicking in with my imagination. Sometimes I think of things, or how to explain things, as if I'm Speaking to a group of my friends sometimes. I think it helps me use up my "imagination memory energy" or something.

I don't think it's weird really, I'm pretty sure we all do this to some degree. Hence the "spectrum", being not autism, but just everything in life is a spectrum. We all have the same qualities and characteristics, it's only a matter of to what degree.
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 07:30 PM   #3
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

PlasmaHam's Forum Picture

I do something very similar to what you are describing. I don't think is is particularly abnormal nor something related to any mental illness.
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 10:13 PM   #4
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

I do talk to myself. Sometimes while doing work, sometimes while trying to organize my thoughts and actions, sometimes with the guise of talking to my cat, occasionally to comfort myself.

I do the future tense conversation thing, too. Also frequently I'll act out conversations with people in my head because for whatever reason, it most helps me examine what's actually going on with me and my feelings.

I will occasionally mentally rant too, but only if I'm not trying to sleep

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 01:19 AM   #5
Amethyst Rose
The Fragile

Amethyst Rose's Forum Picture

That's not abnormal whatsoever, and you shouldn't be worried if it's affecting you for better and not for worse, as you describe. I talk to myself sometimes while walking myself through the action(s) of completing a task, when I'm frustrated, and even to the thing that's the source of my frustration. I also do a variation of this for music - I compose solos over pre-learned chord changes in my head to acquaint myself with the changes on a more profound level and develop ideas for when it comes time to actually play a solo.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."
PM Me Ask Me [email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desynchronized View Post
Gawd dammit the mods r so cruel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
I just food and I still have a hungry.
Amethyst Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 04:32 AM   #6
Jadennow

Jadennow's Forum Picture

Name: Jaden

I think it's normal, idk, I talk to myself a lot too. I don't have full on 2 sided conversations with myself out loud, but I do have inner dialogue about things or if I'm trying to figure out how to word something I want to say, I'll try it out a couple times in my head first. I definitely think a lot at night when trying to go to sleep, which is why it takes me so long togettosleep. I think there's doesn't degrees depending on the person but I think everyone does it, it's part of having thought process.

15/m/socal, nofap lock down since 5/29/17. reddit.com/r/NoFap/ Fighting boredom one reply at a time.

Typical interesting signature message. PM friendly.
Jadennow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 09:27 PM   #7
Dalcourt

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut

I guess talking to oneself is normal and most people I know do it.
When I tell them I have never ever in my life talked to myself most find it is weird, so guess talking to yourself is the normal thing to do.
Me, I never utter a sound at all when I'm alone - I would never even curse aloud if something goes wrong or so.
I sometimes talk to my pets but that's about it...
So just don't worry about the whole thing here.
Dalcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 10:08 PM   #8
Kooy

Kooy's Forum Picture

Sometimes i talk to myself

Fallow the raven to find the wolf
Kooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 07:26 PM   #9
JacoboBlandonPineda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just JT View Post
I think it might be more of my ADHD kicking in with my imagination. Sometimes I think of things, or how to explain things, as if I'm Speaking to a group of my friends sometimes. I think it helps me use up my "imagination memory energy" or something.
I agree, while people on the spectrum can certainly experience this, many that aren't also do this self talking. Maybe my ADHD contributes towards doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just JT View Post
I don't think it's weird really, I'm pretty sure we all do this to some degree. Hence the "spectrum", being not autism, but just everything in life is a spectrum. We all have the same qualities and characteristics, it's only a matter of to what degree.
While I agree with your sentiment here, the autism spectrum has several unique qualities and characteristics that aren't present withtin most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I do talk to myself. Sometimes while doing work, sometimes while trying to organize my thoughts and actions, sometimes with the guise of talking to my cat, occasionally to comfort myself.

I do the future tense conversation thing, too. Also frequently I'll act out conversations with people in my head because for whatever reason, it most helps me examine what's actually going on with me and my feelings.

I will occasionally mentally rant too, but only if I'm not trying to sleep
We do the same thing. Yes, sometimes I try to mentally rant trying to stay awake, but eventually I fall asleep :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst Rose View Post
I talk to myself sometimes while walking myself through the action(s) of completing a task, when I'm frustrated, and even to the thing that's the source of my frustration.
Oh my, I do that too! I forgot to put that on the post. I'll start like scolding the thing that frustrated me (if I'm too frustrated).

Quote:
I also do a variation of this for music - I compose solos over pre-learned chord changes in my head to acquaint myself with the changes on a more profound level and develop ideas for when it comes time to actually play a solo.
That's interesting - and pretty cool! I'm guessing it is particularly helpful when you're playing or preparing a play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadennow View Post
I think it's normal, idk, I talk to myself a lot too. I don't have full on 2 sided conversations with myself out loud, but I do have inner dialogue about things or if I'm trying to figure out how to word something I want to say, I'll try it out a couple times in my head first. I definitely think a lot at night when trying to go to sleep, which is why it takes me so long togettosleep.
Yeah, that happens a lot, but I eventually get asleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut_ View Post
I guess talking to oneself is normal and most people I know do it.
When I tell them I have never ever in my life talked to myself most find it is weird, so guess talking to yourself is the normal thing to do.
Me, I never utter a sound at all when I'm alone - I would never even curse aloud if something goes wrong or so.
I sometimes talk to my pets but that's about it...
So just don't worry about the whole thing here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadennow View Post
I think there's doesn't degrees depending on the person but I think everyone does it, it's part of having thought process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
I do something very similar to what you are describing. I don't think is is particularly abnormal nor something related to any mental illness.
Quote:
That's not abnormal whatsoever, and you shouldn't be worried if it's affecting you for better and not for worse, as you describe.
Yeah, you're right. A lot of people do talk to themselves and there are some benefits to that. I'm guessing I shouldn't fret because of a very common and normal phenomenon.

Thanks to all of you for your responses! Now I feel a little bit more comfortable about my self-talking.

Old June 26th, 2017, 08:09 PM   #10
lolaa

lolaa's Forum Picture

i was contemplating on making a thread about this since mine is a bit abnormal compared to these replies .
i don't talk to myself to "organise my thoughts" or for "future conversations" , i legit imagine anyone i want to in my room and just talk , i would just predict their replies and talk back out loud and this could go on for hours and i'd just stop when i've realized the amount of time i just wasted .
i started doing this a few years ago and i noticed it stemmed from loneliness , i'd stop doing it when i'm busy with friends or i had someone i frequently talked to
now is this crazy?

17 | BI-RACIAL | GREAT SPEAKER, BAD LIAR AND A VERY HONEST PERSON
lolaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 09:06 PM   #11
Dalcourt

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolaa View Post
i was contemplating on making a thread about this since mine is a bit abnormal compared to these replies .
i don't talk to myself to "organise my thoughts" or for "future conversations" , i legit imagine anyone i want to in my room and just talk , i would just predict their replies and talk back out loud and this could go on for hours and i'd just stop when i've realized the amount of time i just wasted .
i started doing this a few years ago and i noticed it stemmed from loneliness , i'd stop doing it when i'm busy with friends or i had someone i frequently talked to
now is this crazy?
Oh yeah, that is totally crazy, lolaa. No just kidding of course. Well I make up whole conversations in my head. I imagine what I would answer someone in a certain situation or how I would explain things.
I never talk aloud when I am alone as I said above but I don't feel that saying things out aloud makes it more crazy.
People just deal differently with being on their own and a lot of people said how they talk to themselves, so nothing wrong I guess as long as you don't "hear voices" or anything.
Old June 27th, 2017, 12:51 AM   #12
KatieCO2003
Member+

KatieCO2003's Forum Picture

Name: Katie

All the time. Every day.
KatieCO2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 08:33 AM   #13
maddogmj77
Nice Poster

maddogmj77's Forum Picture

Name: Matthew

Completely normal. I talk to myself a lot, probably because I don't have anyone else to talk to. I usually do it in order to dissect a topic that I'm thinking about (usually politics). Plus, it helps me keep track of my thoughts a lot easier, which I have a hard time with.

Matthew - 17 - Gay
Feel free to message me

"Is this a test? It has to be, otherwise I can't go on."
maddogmj77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 01:19 PM   #14
Yugen
Member++

Yugen's Forum Picture

Name: Yugen

Just in my head. I think it's like an extension of thinking.

Yugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 03:04 PM   #15
JacoboBlandonPineda

Quote:
now is this crazy?
Nope, not at all. It's a way to entertain yourself when you're alone and bored. And I do it too since I'm pretty lonely, but I don't do it if I'm with someone, like in your case.

Quote:
Oh yeah, that is totally crazy, lolaa. No just kidding of course. Well I make up whole conversations in my head. I imagine what I would answer someone in a certain situation or how I would explain things.
I never talk aloud when I am alone as I said above but I don't feel that saying things out aloud makes it more crazy.
I do the first part, even and mostly when I'm alone, because - as I explained in the OP - it would be very embarrassing.

Quote:
People just deal differently with being on their own and a lot of people said how they talk to themselves, so nothing wrong I guess as long as you don't "hear voices" or anything.
Exactly, it's completely normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCO2003 View Post
All the time. Every day.
me irl

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmj77 View Post
Completely normal. I talk to myself a lot, probably because I don't have anyone else to talk to. I usually do it in order to dissect a topic that I'm thinking about (usually politics). Plus, it helps me keep track of my thoughts a lot easier, which I have a hard time with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
Just in my head. I think it's like an extension of thinking.
It indeed is an extension of thought, I linked an article in my previous reply that talked about it, we start doing that in childhood.

Old June 27th, 2017, 07:15 PM   #16
lolaa

lolaa's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacoboBlandonPineda View Post
Nope, not at all. It's a way to entertain yourself when you're alone and bored. And I do it too since I'm pretty lonely, but I don't do it if I'm with someone, like in your case.
hey who said i do it in public?!?!?! im not that crazy

Old June 27th, 2017, 10:10 PM   #17
Dalcourt

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Quote:
hey who said i do it in public?!?!?! im not that crazy
Haha dunno where that came from. I didn't read anything like that in your post. From what you wrote I assumed you do this talking to yourself when you are alone in your room or home alone in general.
Old June 28th, 2017, 02:30 PM   #18
JacoboBlandonPineda

Quote:
Haha dunno where that came from. I didn't read anything like that in your post. From what you wrote I assumed you do this talking to yourself when you are alone in your room or home alone in general.
Yeah, I never said you did it on public (I, however, sometimes do) and your post didn't give that away either.

Old June 28th, 2017, 05:30 PM   #19
Barbara.
Awesome Poster

Barbara.'s Forum Picture

Name: Barb

Yes all the time, but mostly when I'm pissed off about something or someone.

Barbara. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 07:57 PM   #20
lolaa

lolaa's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacoboBlandonPineda View Post
but I don't do it if I'm with someone, like in your case.

there is no real someone , thought you misunderstood me doing it with people around