Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Notices

Old May 14th, 2017, 07:06 PM   #1
Melodic
VT's Rising Vocalist

Melodic's Forum Picture

Name: Madie
Default panic attacks while driving.

So I'm currently training to drive. I know how to drive a car at this point but I'm starting to have panic attacks when I drive. It's really dangerous while driving as my vision starts to blur and I feel a loss of control. I'm afraid I might hurt someone. I was wondering if anyone might have some coping ideas?

Thanks!

"May the space of where I am, and where I want to be inspire me"
Melodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 10:04 PM   #2
gherkin2pickle

gherkin2pickle's Forum Picture

Name: Bre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodic View Post
So I'm currently training to drive. I know how to drive a car at this point but I'm starting to have panic attacks when I drive. It's really dangerous while driving as my vision starts to blur and I feel a loss of control. I'm afraid I might hurt someone. I was wondering if anyone might have some coping ideas?

Thanks!
I know how you feel. I've had my permit for about a year now, and am involved in a group at my school called S4SD (Strive for a Safer Drive). We organize events in our school to educate student drivers about safety, since the number one killer in people ages 17-23 are car crashes. Today, my S4SD group went to an event held by Ford Driving Skills for Life, where you go to several different stations about different aspects of driving. When I was asked to drive for the first time, I started having a really bad panic attack. The instructor made everyone else get out of the car so he could sit and talk to me. I had to drive around the course three times while tears were just streaming down my face. It wasn't the driving that scared me, per say, but he put me on the spot and I really hate attention. So, because of that, I was a sobbing, hyperventilating mess the ENTIRE DAY. People in my S4SD group would come up to me and try to comfort me after I had already calmed myself down, and I'd start hyperventilating again. They just kept making it worse. As a result, because of the incessant sobbing and lack of proper breathing, my throat was rubbed raw. I can hardly talk. Which is really bad, because I have an audition later this week in which talking loudly is required. Sigh.

Clearly, I don't have any coping tactics because I couldn't keep myself under control while at the driving event. I can, however, say this: if you're in a situation that is making you really uncomfortable, to the point where your driving skills are being blocked and you have the potential of becoming unsafe, tell your driving instructor. I know it's scary, and it might be embarrassing if there are other people in the car, but your safety is priority number one. Have someone else take over when it becomes too much. Take as long as you possibly need to get comfortable behind the wheel. It's different for everybody, and will take different lengths of time for you and the next person. Please do not be scared to stand up for yourself and keep everyone safe ❤️ Please take care
gherkin2pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 12:57 PM   #3
Melodic
VT's Rising Vocalist

Melodic's Forum Picture

Name: Madie
Default Re: panic attacks while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gherkin2pickle View Post
I know how you feel. I've had my permit for about a year now, and am involved in a group at my school called S4SD (Strive for a Safer Drive). We organize events in our school to educate student drivers about safety, since the number one killer in people ages 17-23 are car crashes. Today, my S4SD group went to an event held by Ford Driving Skills for Life, where you go to several different stations about different aspects of driving. When I was asked to drive for the first time, I started having a really bad panic attack. The instructor made everyone else get out of the car so he could sit and talk to me. I had to drive around the course three times while tears were just streaming down my face. It wasn't the driving that scared me, per say, but he put me on the spot and I really hate attention. So, because of that, I was a sobbing, hyperventilating mess the ENTIRE DAY. People in my S4SD group would come up to me and try to comfort me after I had already calmed myself down, and I'd start hyperventilating again. They just kept making it worse. As a result, because of the incessant sobbing and lack of proper breathing, my throat was rubbed raw. I can hardly talk. Which is really bad, because I have an audition later this week in which talking loudly is required. Sigh.

Clearly, I don't have any coping tactics because I couldn't keep myself under control while at the driving event. I can, however, say this: if you're in a situation that is making you really uncomfortable, to the point where your driving skills are being blocked and you have the potential of becoming unsafe, tell your driving instructor. I know it's scary, and it might be embarrassing if there are other people in the car, but your safety is priority number one. Have someone else take over when it becomes too much. Take as long as you possibly need to get comfortable behind the wheel. It's different for everybody, and will take different lengths of time for you and the next person. Please do not be scared to stand up for yourself and keep everyone safe ❤️ Please take care
Thank you!

"May the space of where I am, and where I want to be inspire me"
Melodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #4
gherkin2pickle

gherkin2pickle's Forum Picture

Name: Bre
Default Re: panic attacks while driving.

No problem ❤️ I hope I was of some help.
gherkin2pickle is offline   Reply With Quote