Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old February 28th, 2017, 10:52 PM   #1
livreads22

Name: Liv
Exclamation Recently diagnosed, 17 years old. Help?

Hi, I'm Olivia. I made it to this site to find other people like me, or to at least put out my story. Any help really is appreciated.

I have never been great at school. But I will hand it to myself, I am intelligent, but I didn't understand why I always got extremely low grades. I took hard classes, too, because I believed I could handle them. Freshman year I didn't do that well, maybe one or two B's, C's and one D? Sophomore year I did worse, all C's, one or two D's, and I even brisked an F. My school is split in 4 quarters each year. This year, first quarter I received C's and B's maybe, second quarter, as we got deeper into the material, I plummeted. My report card came out and I had 4 F's. Mind you, I take 4 honors classes and 2 AP's. Still though, I was failing these classes.

It wasn't that I didn't understand the material. I would be in class, and leave an hour later, not thinking "I don't understand what I just learned", but I would be thinking "WHAT did I just learn". It wasn't a matter of not understanding things, they just went right over my head. I tried to take notes, but I would read them back and not understand them. I had a planner for homework, but I would forget to write in it. When I got home I had to think back to class to remember my homework, and would usually get it wrong, simply because my memory was terrible or because it went through one ear and out the other.

Someone at work mentioned to me, as I was playing with sticky notes, that it often seemed I had ADHD. I, of course, believed it to be absurd, until I looked up the symptoms. After a couple of weeks I brought up the possibility to my parents, they agreed to look into it and I got a doctor's appointment. After the appointment I was diagnosed and given an Adderall prescription of 10mg every morning before school.

I began taking my Adderall at the beginning of the third term. We are now half way through the term and my lowest grade, in an AP, is an 80. My reaction to the medication was certainly impressive and helpful. I am happy I turned my grades around, but I still fear for myself.

I want to be an Emergency Physician. To do so, I want to go to a good college with a four year pre-med program, and later medical school for four years. But my first 2 1/2 years of high school were absolutely awful. What do I do? Should I tell colleges of my ADHD? But, I also fear that colleges will see my disorder as an excuse and will brush it off, will they? I also fear I may get accepted because of my improvements, but not given enough money in scholarships. I don't have a lot of money but I do need it for 8 years of schooling.

So, if you have any advice for me, whether you are an admissions councilor or a fellow ADHDer, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much for reading.
livreads22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 06:16 PM   #2
idefineme
Junior Member+

Name: mendy
Default Re: Recently diagnosed, 17 years old. Help?

My cousin worked in the Emergency Room and he has very severe adhd,so did my father. If you are passionate there's nothing that can stop you.

Introspective thoughtful and fragile. Love you.
idefineme is offline   Reply With Quote