Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old February 7th, 2017, 07:24 PM   #21
Bunnyprincess

Default Re: Transgender girl, am I welcome here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
While in theory it's a good idea, and I think it should be possible, there's one big problem.

How do we know after allowing this there won't be a lot of people claiming to be both transgender and on hormones just for the purpose of posting in the puberty forum of the other gender? It's no secret there are a lot of fake acounts posting in P101 so I feel like this rule, while being a good idea, would increase this problem.

I do agree with you that it should be possible, because to me it's also a matter of respect. I think it's a shame this may potentially increase the amount of of creeps though, it really makes me sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I'll respond to both of these:

I was inclined to do what you're suggesting, @Bunnyprincess. My hesitation is not for the reason @The Special One gives, although that is valid (I dismissed it as not a primary concern because if people want to lie about their sex/gender to post in the incorrect forum, they're already doing that anyway, regardless of our rule about trans people). My concern was that it would be horribly intrusive of us, as staff, to personally verify with people whether or not they're on hormones and, subsequently, whether or not they're eligible to post in the section that corresponds to their gender but not their sex. It also seems exclusionary - a girl is no less a girl because she isn't on hormones and a boy is no less a boy because he isn't on hormones.

But I might be treating the matter with a little excess sensitivity. What are your thoughts? @Desuetude @Bunnyprincess and anyone else who would like to participate in this discussion.
Hmmm, sure people could pretend they're transgender, but there's no reason people couldn't just pretend they're a cisgender boy or girl. I bet there are already people on the forums pretending to be boys and girls and posting in the puberty sections as such.

Yes, I suppose it's intrusive to verify if people are on hormones. I don't know how it could be done anyway.

Internet forums are built on trust. Trusting that a person is of the gender they actually say, trusting their age etc. If a person says they're on hormones what else can we do but believe them?

Yes, a girl is a girl whether she's on hormones or not and the same goes for a boy. I still think the current policy of people being allowed to post based on their biological gender is far more exclusionary.
Bunnyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 09:31 PM   #22
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

I'm really excited to update you guys on this: we've officially gone forward with a rule adjustment. See this announcement for more information. Thank you for all your feedback and advice!

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 01:16 AM   #23
Bunnyprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I'm really excited to update you guys on this: we've officially gone forward with a rule adjustment. See announcement for more information. Thank you for all your feedback and advice!
Yay!!! I'm really excited about the new rule, thank you!!!!
Bunnyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote