Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old October 8th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #21
Corey Neil

Name: Corey
Default Re: How to Deal with Family Arguments

I come from a very 'you are reactive because of you' back ground. If anything in life annoys you, I believe it only annoys you because you can't accept, forgive or thank that experience. So, whatever it is that annoys you or creates arguments within any situation is an argument with yourself. Just because someone does something that annoys you doesn't make you right. So, what gives you the judgment to judge that? And vise versa. So, if you can come into awareness (not just you, but everyone, even me) that coming into acceptance for everything is the better route, you essentially become aware, that not a lot bothers you any more. "It is what it is" - Is a very ancient Hawaiian modality of teaching. If someone says something nasty, it's because they are disagreeing with themselves, not with you. You just triggered that disagreement. And vise versa.
Corey Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #22
Pseudogeek

Pseudogeek's Forum Picture

Name: aj

When my parents fight it tends to get loud very fast. One time my dad threw a colander at my mom, and he's threatened to walk out 3-4 times. Probably more.

Meeting you was like catching my eye on barbed wire, it was painful, let's not do it again.
I'd be a true geek if I could focus for long enough, as for now I'm a mere pseudogeek
14|straight|Tinytown, USA|
Christian
Tumblr
I can finally send PMs!
Pseudogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #23
othees
Junior Member+

Name: Eddy

It's not worth arguing as a teen though.
othees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 06:53 PM   #24
Matthew_17
Banned

Name: Matthew

I kinda not deal with it , i mean depends on what is worth to fight or not but most of all times i kinda shut down and talk about whatever happened in the day after.
Matthew_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 02:47 AM   #25
JacobBower

Name: Jacob

In my case i think the best thing to do is just keep calm and if tempers go up just figure things out later.
JacobBower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 01:00 AM   #26
Let Me Be a Pony
Banned

Name: Pebbles

I just go in the other room if my family is arguing with me.
That helps, since they and me can cool off.
Then we're all good.
It's that simple, if something in your way gets too hot, just move out until the temperature is the way you like it to be, then move in.
Let Me Be a Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 12:12 AM   #27
luzz.cadiz

Name: Luzz
Smile Re: How to Deal with Family Arguments

To Deal with Family Arguments, there should be an open communication. Parents have the authority towards their children, on the other hand, children should still respect their parents. Both parties must be willing to talk about the conflict or the root of the argument. It is also important, the way we deliver our message. Well, I believe it will be settled if both parties are willing to solve the issues or arguments. And, don't bring back again the issues once it solved. Forget and Learn
luzz.cadiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 04:56 AM   #28
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

a couple things I've learned recently is;

Listen more speak less
Accept that to disagree is ok
to disagree doesn't mean you don't love each other
To disagree doesn't imply you need to fight

To disagree with someone, you are learning about their likes and dislikes, what ever that is, we should be open and ok with the fact someone has a different opinion on something cause we're all different, and that's ok...
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2016, 09:29 PM   #29
gemma 2000
Banned

Name: gemma

I go tomy room and hide
gemma 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 06:05 PM   #30
Brit4love

Name: Britt

My family didn't really fight
Brit4love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 03:06 PM   #31
Drew Alex
Junior Member+

Name: Drew

I'm so happy my rents don't fight. I've only seen my mom really pissed with my dad once, when he stayed out with some buds and came home late. And that was probably five years ago.

Kentucky
Drew Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2016, 02:15 AM   #32
Body odah Man
VT Lover

Body odah Man's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumleaf View Post
Fight fair in family arguments

Of course you love your siblings, (or, parents or best friend). Of course you would never want to fight or argue with any of them. And, of course, those are exactly the people with whom you have the most arguments.

No, you probably aren't constantly fighting with each other (though if that is the case, go talk to a counseling professional, because that's not how relationships with those we care about are supposed to work), but even the best of relationships are going to have disagreements and misunderstandings.

Working through those moments honestly and fairly can help strengthen a relationship for both parties, but make disagreeing an emotional shouting match and you can easily do real damage to an important relationship.

Instead, try these tips for disagreeing without causing harming:

- Remember your goal is to solve the problem, not "win" the argument.
- Don't let anger be your first reaction. When anger clouds judgment, it's easy to insult and disrespect the other person, resulting in an emotional fight rather than an attempt to deal with the issue.
- Don't let misunderstanding be the basis for the argument. If you think you've been misunderstood, ask the other person to tell you what he or she heard you saying. Simply restating what you really meant may straighten things out.
- Listen to the other person's side and make sure you really understand his or her position. We can be just as guilty of not understanding, or sometimes not even hearing, the other side of the argument.
- Be sincere and open. Don't resort to code words and innuendo which will only confuse meanings. Say what you mean, but say it respectfully.
- Stick to real issues — those things that really can be fixed. Launching a personal attack on the other person, focusing on emotional issues, or dragging up past problems and events will do nothing to solve the current problem.

Disagreements with loved ones happen, but that doesn't mean you both don't still love and respect each other. Discussing problems openly and in detail can often lead to a solution, but even when it doesn't, it's important to remember that the relationship itself is always more important than the current disagreement. If you can't find an immediate solution, agree to continue loving and respecting each other, and remember that there's always tomorrow to try and work things out.
Nice guide and advice. Thanks

Just a chilling teen that hates baths, collects Yugioh cards and loves Runescape
Body odah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2016, 08:41 PM   #33
PunjabiKid322

My family is filled with conflict my dad gets mad at my mom because she has a shopping addiction and my mom doesnt like my dads f amily or how my dad raises me and my sister. my mom knows she has a problem and takes her anger out on my sister. Everyone comes to me trying to get me on their side and i always feel so torn.
PunjabiKid322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 07:25 AM   #34
Setasailforparadise
Junior Member+

Setasailforparadise's Forum Picture

I say yes all the time and I make them think that they are right.

Don't think I'm lying... I'M FLYING!!! C'MON NOW!!!
Setasailforparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2016, 08:44 AM   #35
BrokenWingedPegasus

BrokenWingedPegasus's Forum Picture

Name: Tiago

Quote:

Of course you love your siblings, (or, parents or best friend). Of course you would never want to fight or argue with any of them. And, of course, those are exactly the people with whom you have the most arguments.

No, you probably aren't constantly fighting with each other (though if that is the case, go talk to a counseling professional, because that's not how relationships with those we care about are supposed to work), but even the best of relationships are going to have disagreements and misunderstandings.

Working through those moments honestly and fairly can help strengthen a relationship for both parties, but make disagreeing an emotional shouting match and you can easily do real damage to an important relationship.

- Don't let anger be your first reaction. When anger clouds judgment, it's easy to insult and disrespect the other person, resulting in an emotional fight rather than an attempt to deal with the issue.
- Don't let misunderstanding be the basis for the argument. If you think you've been misunderstood, ask the other person to tell you what he or she heard you saying. Simply restating what you really meant may straighten things out.
- Listen to the other person's side and make sure you really understand his or her position. We can be just as guilty of not understanding, or sometimes not even hearing, the other side of the argument.
- Be sincere and open. Don't resort to code words and innuendo which will only confuse meanings. Say what you mean, but say it respectfully.
- Stick to real issues — those things that really can be fixed. Launching a personal attack on the other person, focusing on emotional issues, or dragging up past problems and events will do nothing to solve the current problem.

Disagreements with loved ones happen, but that doesn't mean you both don't still love and respect each other. Discussing problems openly and in detail can often lead to a solution, but even when it doesn't, it's important to remember that the relationship itself is always more important than the current disagreement. If you can't find an immediate solution, agree to continue loving and respecting each other, and remember that there's always tomorrow to try and work things out.
To be honest, I respect all of this. The family member that I have lots of arguments with doesn't, though. They should read this.
BrokenWingedPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 07:58 AM   #36
Polina

Polina's Forum Picture

I always try to find a compromise. It's a good skill that should be developed if you want to leave with people in peace. It's hard sometimes but I do my best to stay flexible and positive. So I recommend you to use the same strategy, especially if it's your family.

Polina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2016, 03:04 AM   #37
Trevor.

Name: Trevor
Smile Re: How to Deal with Family Arguments

Quote:

I agree with you. Sometime when your in a fight you win the fight by letting the other person win. Be the bigger person. My sister and I never got in fights. But when we had little arguments I would let her win and she would let me win. We knew what to do and everything was good
Trevor. is offline   Reply With Quote