Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old September 17th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #1
mynameistaken

mynameistaken's Forum Picture

Smile receiving help

Tl;dr at bottom
I haven't been on this forum in a long time and I was never an active member however I felt like making my final post just now. I was depressed for years and constantly contemplating suicide throughout high school and beyond; I even attempted a few times.
After high school I worked for a couple years and saved up money for university all while grappling with my own thoughts and lack of motivation because I was never quite sure if I would be alive the following morning. I also never really knew that the way I thought was different than the way 'stable' people thought because I actively made sure to never have deep interpersonal conversations or relationships.
Anyways, a couple years went by and I applied for university and was accepted. received some scholarships and had a fair bit of money because I never drank much (hint* because of the depression and lack of close friends thing). I left my hometown for what may as well have been the first time ever and set out on my own but while I was in first year my illness started to get the better of me and I fell into a deep funk.
At this point I became sick and tired of being sick and tired and decided that I would reach out for help for the first time ever. I went to a little assistance group on campus and disclosed the details about my mental state and shortly after spoke to a doctor. I was put on medication and constantly monitored which was very difficult for me because I was never used to relying on anyone for help. eventually some person who I'll call john convinced me to let my family know about my situation.
I followed his advice and told my family, the news devastated my parents but they were 100% accepting of me and didn't treat me differently. They were only mad at me for not letting them know sooner and at themselves for not noticing what was wrong.
With all this I finally established my own support circle and started feeling happy for the first time in recent memory however I am now facing new troubles. I have been so closed up in my shell for so long that I had never established any close relationships over the years not to mention having any form of romantic relationship. I missed a whole chapter of life because I wasn't able to confront my illness and problems head on and am now starting to build myself from zero.
That being said my illness doesn't inhibit me anymore and I feel I can finally start living life and experiencing all the emotions I never experienced before. The road ahead is a struggle; but it is one I look forward to because if there is anything I have learned from my experience it is that it is never to late to seek help but it is definitely better to find it sooner rather than later.

Tl;dr: had depression, got help, got medicated/ support system, feel better, new challenges of building a life from scratch, never to late for help but better to get it sooner.

my personality grows on you.....like a tumor
mynameistaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2016, 07:00 PM   #2
Flapjack
Good Egg

Flapjack's Forum Picture

Default Re: receiving help

You are so right about receiving help!! I am so glad to hear that you have support now and they you are doing better

The road ahead will a struggle but I am sure you can make it!!

I'm a prettyyy awkward weeb that likes alcohol and punk rock :')
Flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2016, 09:56 PM   #3
Amethyst Rose
The Fragile

Amethyst Rose's Forum Picture

That is awesome you have reached out for help and are happier now! It takes a lot of courage to do that. I hope that in the future you won't hesitate to ask for help because it is super important to have support when you feel down. Good luck with university and overcoming challenges in the future.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."
PM Me Ask Me [email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desynchronized View Post
Gawd dammit the mods r so cruel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
I just food and I still have a hungry.
Amethyst Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2016, 07:49 PM   #4
jamie_n5
VT Lover

jamie_n5's Forum Picture

Name: Jamie

Thanks for sharing your story man. I am so happy for you. I am sure you will give some hope to others struggling and show them that getting help is the right thing to do. I hope that your life continues to be happy and good.

I am gay and happy with that.
I love talking to people very open & willing to listen.
I am also glad to try help with questions or problems.
Hit me up for anything. I promise I don't bite.
jamie_n5 is offline   Reply With Quote