Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 16th, 2016, 08:33 AM   #21
Flapjack
Good Egg

Flapjack's Forum Picture

Default Re: The State of P101

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
The thing is, it's not bad that it's there to help, not at all. What I was talking about are the same surveys popping up all the time which in my opinion, aren't helpfull anymore.
Yeah trust me buddy I completely agree, I just don't see how the rules could be rewritten to ban that crap but leave the helpful stuff.

I'm a prettyyy awkward weeb that likes alcohol and punk rock :')
Flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:36 AM   #22
Leprous
Professional Spivak

Leprous's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlapjack View Post
Yeah trust me buddy I completely agree, I just don't see how the rules could be rewritten to ban that crap but leave the helpful stuff.
As I said before, sticky survey would help to keep out allot of the spam.

In all of us lie secrets
hidden inside hollow hearts,
Heaven was built by heathens
there is no place for us
never was
Leprous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 10:03 AM   #23
Endeavour
Going Global

Endeavour's Forum Picture

Woah, there's been so much action on here since last night. I'll give more of my opinion; that said I'm not staff and I wonder what the current staff's opinions are. I know @Living For Love has been in here, but it would be nice to get a response from someone else.

Quote:
As I said before allot of the new members tend to move towards P101 and stay there, in most cases you barely see them outside. This means that most other forums will not get new frequent posters and they will slowly loose their popularity. Of course this is on the long run but yeah it's still happening.
Ok yes, P101 is by far the most popular area of this website. But other areas on this website are popular as well, especially other H&A threads. I do see new members popping up outside P101, and for now, I don't think this is a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just JT View Post
I know in other forums, boys can't even view girls puberty thread, and vise versa. Not sure if that's a possibility or not, or if it makes sense. Just saying
I think that that would be a good idea. Yet PfA would need to be open for all, and as all surveys belong there, some explicit content could still get through.

Quote:
Well that would make sense in a way, but might encourage more gender fakers on VT and that's not something good. Also in my opinion the explicit thread that can be found in the puberty sections are not normal to me. Not normal at all.
Explicit content is locked anyway.

Quote:
Yes we are teenagers but once you're 15 or older you should be able to be mature on the subject of sex and also maybe slightly feel like filling in the same survey over and over again makes no sense.
But we still need something for the 13/14 year olds on here to do whilst they mature.

Quote:
Also might add the kind of threads I am referring to with being unnecessary are threads like this one which luckily got locked. I do feel like there should be a rule that would prevent threads from going this far in the first place.
Exactly. It was inappropriate and it was locked.

Quote:
Reporting every single thread I think isn't approrpiate might spam the mods and I don't think they want that either.
I think they would rather you over-report than not report at all (as long as it is stuff that is inappropriate)

Quote:
I just think new threads shoulf be closely watched, like the thread I mentioned above which dated from january, which is in my opinion a very long time for a thread like that to last.
Firstly, that thread was from the 7th May, and the mods on their own cannot see everything so that's why reporting is so important. About the closely watching idea, my thought is that like VMs are moderated until you are here for 3 months, maybe threads, P101 in particular, could be moderated before being published. That said, it would cause loads and loads more work for the mods, given the popularity of P101, that my idea isn't very good at all.

Quote:
As I said before, sticky survey would help to keep out allot of the spam.
Like I said previously(and quoted @Elysium from my thread before) that although they are repetitive, they are what keeps the P101 alive.

~former global mod~
Endeavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 12:15 PM   #24
Leprous
Professional Spivak

Leprous's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attraction View Post
Woah, there's been so much action on here since last night. I'll give more of my opinion; that said I'm not staff and I wonder what the current staff's opinions are. I know @Living For Love has been in here, but it would be nice to get a response from someone else.

Ok yes, P101 is by far the most popular area of this website. But other areas on this website are popular as well, especially other H&A threads. I do see new members popping up outside P101, and for now, I don't think this is a problem.

I think that that would be a good idea. Yet PfA would need to be open for all, and as all surveys belong there, some explicit content could still get through.

Explicit content is locked anyway.

But we still need something for the 13/14 year olds on here to do whilst they mature.

Exactly. It was inappropriate and it was locked.

I think they would rather you over-report than not report at all (as long as it is stuff that is inappropriate)

Firstly, that thread was from the 7th May, and the mods on their own cannot see everything so that's why reporting is so important. About the closely watching idea, my thought is that like VMs are moderated until you are here for 3 months, maybe threads, P101 in particular, could be moderated before being published. That said, it would cause loads and loads more work for the mods, given the popularity of P101, that my idea isn't very good at all.

Like I said previously(and quoted @Elysium from my thread before) that although they are repetitive, they are what keeps the P101 alive.
Mistake on the january thingy but hey. It would give the staff allot of work but it's not a terrible idea if worked out correctly and efficiently.

Appart from keeping P101 alive, do the surveys have any other significant purposes (yes for people to learn stuff but if you've seen one you've seen all)

My problem is not the 13-14 year olds having to mature, it's also the older posters that can spam the threads in there which to me just seems a little weird. Would you find it weird if an 18-19 year old was talking about their semen with 13 year olds? To me it seems a bit weird.

Yes new members pop up in other sections but in what quantities? Also preventing males from seeiing puberty for girls is definitly something that should be looked into in my opinion.

In all of us lie secrets
there is no place for us
never was
Old June 16th, 2016, 12:31 PM   #25
Endeavour
Going Global

Quote:
Mistake on the january thingy but hey. It would give the staff allot of work but it's not a terrible idea if worked out correctly and efficiently.
Are you referring to my idea I posted above here? I believe it would be useful, but it's just too much work and it probably will never happen.

Quote:
Appart from keeping P101 alive, do the surveys have any other significant purposes (yes for people to learn stuff but if you've seen one you've seen all)
Every survey is slightly different, but it is generally the same time over time. I guess that in some cases it gives the OP confidence in what they are asking.

Quote:
My problem is not the 13-14 year olds having to mature, it's also the older posters that can spam the threads in there which to me just seems a little weird. Would you find it weird if an 18-19 year old was talking about their semen with 13 year olds? To me it seems a bit weird.
This website is called Virtual Teen. 18/19 + year olds are just as welcome as 13/14 year olds. In some cases, older members can sort of act as 'big brother' figures and most of the older people on here do tend to act more appropriately (compared to some new younger people.

Quote:
Yes new members pop up in other sections but in what quantities?
Browsing the forums, I have found a member that joined yesterday that have been posting in quite a lot of forums: the diaries, H&A, GD as well as P101.
Quote:
Also preventing males from seeiing puberty for girls is definitly something that should be looked into in my opinion.
Ok, this is something I've seen on other forums, but on those it has been like that mostly since the beginning. For a 12 year old website, it would be too difficult to implement now, given the amount of currently active members. Unless there is a mod or something that automatically hides the P101 forums for the opposite gender. Of course, to add to your point, it wouldn't be fair to block boys seeing PfG if girls weren't blocked from seeing PfB.

~former global mod~
Old June 16th, 2016, 12:42 PM   #26
Leprous
Professional Spivak

Leprous's Forum Picture

Quote:
Are you referring to my idea I posted above here? I believe it would be useful, but it's just too much work and it probably will never happen.

Every survey is slightly different, but it is generally the same time over time. I guess that in some cases it gives the OP confidence in what they are asking.

This website is called Virtual Teen. 18/19 + year olds are just as welcome as 13/14 year olds. In some cases, older members can sort of act as 'big brother' figures and most of the older people on here do tend to act more appropriately (compared to some new younger people.

Browsing the forums, I have found a member that joined yesterday that have been posting in quite a lot of forums: the diaries, H&A, GD as well as P101.

Ok, this is something I've seen on other forums, but on those it has been like that mostly since the beginning. For a 12 year old website, it would be too difficult to implement now, given the amount of currently active members. Unless there is a mod or something that automatically hides the P101 forums for the opposite gender. Of course, to add to your point, it wouldn't be fair to block boys seeing PfG if girls weren't blocked from seeing PfB.
Yes I was referring to it but yeah, it's probably way too much work. As I said, if you've seen 1 you've seen them all. The slight differences aren't really noticable if you look at the amount of surveys there are.

Of course older people are welcome here I just find it weird to see 18 year olds who I guess should be a tiny bit more mature than others still making the explicit posts in the P101 sections.

That 1 member isn't going to be much comparing it to how many join. I never said ALL of them instantly go to P101 and stay there but you should know aswell that there are quite allot of members (mostly male actually) who instantly go there and stay there.

I never meant that only boys should be blocked from seeiing the forum of the girls, if it's going 1 way it has to go the other way aswell for obvious reasons.

In all of us lie secrets
there is no place for us
never was
Old June 16th, 2016, 01:36 PM   #27
Endeavour
Going Global

Quote:
Yes I was referring to it but yeah, it's probably way too much work. As I said, if you've seen 1 you've seen them all. The slight differences aren't really noticable if you look at the amount of surveys there are.

Of course older people are welcome here I just find it weird to see 18 year olds who I guess should be a tiny bit more mature than others still making the explicit posts in the P101 sections.

That 1 member isn't going to be much comparing it to how many join. I never said ALL of them instantly go to P101 and stay there but you should know aswell that there are quite allot of members (mostly male actually) who instantly go there and stay there.

I never meant that only boys should be blocked from seeiing the forum of the girls, if it's going 1 way it has to go the other way aswell for obvious reasons.
We're going over the same thing over and over again now. Perhaps it would be better to have a definitive answer from one of the senior staff (I'll quote them so they can see it @Emerald Dream @ImCoolBeans @xXl0sth0peXx)

~former global mod~
Old June 16th, 2016, 01:54 PM   #28
DerBear
Retired H&A Mod

DerBear's Forum Picture

Name: Derri

I once suggested to Mike when I was on staff that a separate forum be created for puberty surveys and polls therefore freeing up the puberty for all to general questions. I think this would go along way into helping keep the other sections cleaner for staff to deal with. In my opinion having a separate section makes moderation a lot more easier.

The other problem is puberty 101 allows for a lot of borderline content and I'd describe myself when modding to be a bit of hard ass on keeping borderline content down, if it wasn't really puberty related and more curiosity related I'd often lock it which sends a message to members that it isn't always going to be acceptable and it kind of helped cut down on explicit content, we still go a lot of explicit content, but you know...it was reduced slightly or so I like to think. But again that's the problem with content in P101 if its borderline, then you can allow it and it just depends on the group of mods, moderating.

What we've also got to remember is that P101 is a constant moderation task and its hard to keep clean or acceptable all the time and you'll often find a lot of the real gory threads get shutdown almost instantly and you never see them because the staff do a good job, they just can't catch everything. As an ex mod I do somewhat miss the days when I could say to myself I'll just spend an hour cleaning up the section. It is tough job to keep p101 clean but the staff do the best they can.

Your best bet can always be to report content, even if you're unsure if it violates the rules.

Retired Help & Advice Mod

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to send me a PM.
DerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 06:48 PM   #29
Uniquemind
VT Lover

The way I see it, the problem doesn't necessarily reside in the rules or how they're written, the problem lies in the discernment between criteria of why a post in P101 should exist period:

The growth and development of the mental, physical, and spiritual, within each of those 3 categories, there is a sexual component to each.

The second is the interplay between self-discovery, and the forces that work against that (society, household rules, bullying, disinformation online, overwhelming information online).

The third is to create a place that both respects but also pushes the boundaries of sexual topics that deserve discussion, but aren't being discussed due to taboo, but really should be discussed in a safe place because therein lies the gap in traditional sex education is outright failing, which is dangerous (dangerous to relationship, and dangerous to have teens grow into young adults uneducated about the truth, and potentially feeding into problems in society).

(I.e. like the college rape or the self-esteem suicide problem nationwide and internationally which at it's heart is also a communication failure in dating/pop culture)

----

So my suggestion to the community at large and to the staff is to look at each post and rate it for it's level of "seriousness" and medical discussion merit.

In the context of P101 each post needs to be rated on it's helpfulness in educating a truth or a correcting a lie to the general public to lessen judgement and naivete in sexual matters.

Bullet points:

1. Symptoms of STD/STI.

2. Where to get medical test and treatments within various economic situations.

3. What is or isn't true about certain sex acts, or cleanliness and hygiene habits with regards to various cultures.

4. The safety of various sex toys (face it teens use them and we need to know what's safe and what is not on the market, and it really should be treated like buying any sort of product like a bra that doesn't fit right, there's an unhealthy taboo here in my humble opinion)

--

Now for me what crosses a line is if too many details are shared in terms of HOW to perform certain sexual acts or is really a discussion of a niche fetish.

To me if one of those threads is created I think a generic response should be used to not be rude and ignore them, but also not to feed trolls.

Respond like a doctor would with a good bedside manner, and it will probably lower the activity in such threads.

If something is dangerous and poses a high risk of bacterial or viral infection, it should be stated and left at that.

EDIT BEINGS HERE:

Now I have entered discussions with a moderator recently regarding the use of graphic medical photos which might be of the genital area, which they said they would suggest to other staff in terms of their merit of use within a sexual educational topic.

I think sometimes if people come here describing symptoms it's important to use visual tools to show "hey does your body show pimples like this picture shows? Well then it might be ___ medical condition, consult your doctor".

Also discussions about sexual myths/facts (the existence of the G-spot, or why some of us have it or others have trouble find it) it's a bit graphic, but that's a common question I hear a lot and I think that still falls within the domain of being appropriate provided it doesn't go too far into storytelling and remains factual.

Another example of an appropriate question: I have a latex allergy, my boyfriend can't use his normal condom brand, does anybody have any suggestions to help solve our problem? (This question is graphic I guess it could be advertising, but at it's core it is a cry for help > Appropriate in my view).

Now here is a gray area which I have seen banned, that I personally think is borderline appropriate or inappropriate depending if it goes into storytelling; that thread's question was "Can a guy feel a girl's orgasm during sex", it seems like a question appropriate to ask a doctor, and therefore I deem it appropriate, as long as it remains clinical.

---

Other issues I think that are okay are topics that come up in gym class, that need clarification on or people need to know that they are okay and that bullying is not warranted.

Last edited by Uniquemind; June 16th, 2016 at 07:25 PM. Reason: More to say but had to post before AUTOKICKED out for inactivity.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:14 PM   #30
Emerald Dream
Forever Green

Emerald Dream's Forum Picture

Name: Allison

There are many points in this thread which are completely valid, and being that a lot of this is a very subjective matter - I am only going to speak for myself about this (without getting into specifics of what the VT Staff does behind the scenes). I fully encourage any other current or former staff member (which I have seen already) to post. I have a lot of pretty short thoughts, so a lot of what I say will be short (and a lot will be what's already been said).

- The VT Staff isn't perfect. No one claims to be, and with a lot of these topics being very subjective - what may be worth discussing to one person, may be considered inappropriate by a moderator. There are a lot of borderline topics, and staff members often ask for second and third (or more) opinions when something seems like it may go one way or another. We do communicate with each other all the time, so unless something is really obvious to one of us that it is not appropriate for VT - there may not be an immediate response. Also, please remember that (as said before) being on staff is completely voluntary, and all of us have lives other than being on VT.

- This is the internet. A place like P101 attracts all types of people, whether they are legit accounts (real teens who are who they say they are) or otherwise. There are a lot of sensitive topics and messages all over this forum, and we want to give the benefit of the doubt. Yes, there are a lot of things/people that seem "obviously" fake, but unless we can prove without a shadow of a doubt they are...we can't do much but keep an eye on them. Trust me, we keep an eye on them. We can't ban people because we think they aren't legit. Unless we have proof that will hold up against a ban appeal, someone won't be banned. Also, if we asked for proof from everyone we thought wasn't a legit account - we are bound to get egg on our face in some cases, and that isn't cool for members or the VT Staff. We can't exactly take shots in the dark.

- Like said by other former staff members - there is no such thing as over-reporting. Seriously, it's much better to be safe than sorry in a lot of cases. There is no penalty for reporting something and us disagreeing with you. Reporting is anonymous (only staff members will know), and we will never tell other members something of theirs (thread, VM, PM, picture, etc) was reported. There are days where we have one report, and there are days where we have 50 reports. They will all get looked at, addressed, and discussed. There is the possibility, of course, that a thread is reported as inappropriate and a moderator decides that it is a normal or legit question and it is ok. The only way that reporting is "bad" is if someone were to not use the report system for what it was intented - reporting something. That's a very, very, very rare thing though.

- A funny thing that no one has really pointed out (in case I missed it) is that while a lot of members think P101 is basically an inappropriate craphole that isn't moderated tough enough - there are a lot of people who think we actually over-moderate P101 and that we should let more things go than what we do. I'm not the biggest fan of the section myself, and what other people have said is very true - P101 brings the most traffic to Virtual Teen. You can see on the main page how many people are viewing the Puberty sections. Again, I can't say I am a big fan of the surveys myself (and that's a whole other rant in itself), to be honest...but once again - traffic. It's not the greatest thing, but we have the sections with the intent of legit puberty questions. While I do agree that the P101 Archive is full of absolutely disgusting inappropriate bullshit - we do need a place to put those threads. We can't punish anyone who is actually trying to help by taking away all their posts. P101 is not an easy place at all to moderate. I have been a moderator for three years, and a senior staff member for two - and I am always asking other staff members for their opinions on posts and threads.

These are just a few things I had pop in my mind throughout the day (and I may add to this). Not meaning to veer this thread off in any different direction (and if you want to discuss any of this, feel free to contact me), but I wanted to put out there that there are different ways that members and staff view things sometimes. There is actually a lot I can not answer - making different sections, forums, and the lot...that's an Admin thing Not all the people on staff are able to code, nor have access to where they could.

Last edited by Emerald Dream; June 17th, 2016 at 11:45 AM. Reason: my errors irritate me
Emerald Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2016, 04:19 AM   #31
Leprous
Professional Spivak

Leprous's Forum Picture

I know how hard it is to moderate the section, I wouldn't be able to do it myself. I do find the idea of @Uniquemind interesting. There should be a border though. A clear one. If something even slightly crosses this border the post should get removed instantly.

In all of us lie secrets
there is no place for us
never was
Old June 17th, 2016, 04:31 AM   #32
Just JT
VT Lover

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Quote:

That's kinda what I was talking about earlier. You simply can't view it, plus....you'd have to earn entrance to your own gender p101. But again, might be hard to do now
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote