Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old July 28th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #1
Yasmine
Unregistered

Default are you born with ocd?

is ocd something you're born with, or is it something that you get? there's people who think they have ocd, but really it's their mind over the matter.

Old July 28th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #2
Rutherford The Brave
Rutherford

Rutherford The Brave's Forum Picture

Name: Gregory
Default Re: are you born with ocd?

OCD is a illness not a genetic type thing, still though some people are born with it an others just get it.

Drop Acid, Not Bombs.
Old July 28th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #3
Antares
Legendary Member+Mod

Antares's Forum Picture

It is not a genetic disorder. However there is a lot of info here. Umm yeah so tis not a genetic disorder and as far as being born with it some people may be. Some people have the anxious symptoms at birth but I think usually people develop it starting in their teens...dont quote me on that but that is what I am lead to assume so yeah happy reading

~Laura was here~
Old July 28th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #4
Yasmine
Unregistered

but, you don't have control over whether you have it or not, right?

Old July 28th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #5
Lumo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
It is not a genetic disorder. However there is a lot of info here. Umm yeah so tis not a genetic disorder and as far as being born with it some people may be. Some people have the anxious symptoms at birth but I think usually people develop it starting in their teens...dont quote me on that but that is what I am lead to assume so yeah happy reading
thats exactly what happened with me
Old July 28th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #6
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!

True OCD, not the stuff people self diagnose themselves with b/c they 'obsess' over things or are just picky, is caused by a biochemical issue in the brain, it's a neurotransmitter problem. So, although true OCD might not always be there, it's cause is most probably some genetic issue that causes the brain to stop secreting the proper neurotransmitters in the proper amount.

True OCD can only be effectively treated with meds to rebalance the neurotransmitters, as well as supoortive and instructional therapy, it can't really be 'controlled' completely by the person.

Last edited by IAMSAM; July 28th, 2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #7
Yasmine
Unregistered

i've had times where i thought i had ocd, but i was really just obsessing over things i don't naturally care about.

Old July 28th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #8
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

A lot of people use the term OCD to refer to their thoughts about things, or their behaviors. But, the key is the ability of the person to control those thoughts or behaviors, and also how debilitating it is. True OCD is really impossible to control without meds, the people who have it really are driven by their thoughts and urges, they're overwhelming (and overwhelmed) and usually quite irrational. It's very serious.
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #9
ArtistInNeed
Member++

ArtistInNeed's Forum Picture

Name: Jamie

could i have ocd? i count my steps, and other random things. i like to put colors and words in order. like if i were to put the word "teen" i would run it through my head like a million times as "eent". i have to constantly crack my hands too, its annoying.

I wish everything could be wonderful again.
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:59 AM   #10
Nihilus
Awesome Poster

Nihilus's Forum Picture

Name: Benjamin

My sisters OCd started appearing like 1-2 years ago.

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me."
―The Code of the Sith
Darth Nihilus, Lord of Hunger
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #11
Yasmine
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistInNeed View Post
could i have ocd? i count my steps, and other random things. i like to put colors and words in order. like if i were to put the word "teen" i would run it through my head like a million times as "eent". i have to constantly crack my hands too, its annoying.
if it doesn't interfere with your life, i don't think so. everyone has their own things they like to do.

Old July 29th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #12
Sapphire
Tears & Smiles

Sapphire's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMSAM View Post
A lot of people use the term OCD to refer to their thoughts about things, or their behaviors. But, the key is the ability of the person to control those thoughts or behaviors, and also how debilitating it is. True OCD is really impossible to control without meds, the people who have it really are driven by their thoughts and urges, they're overwhelming (and overwhelmed) and usually quite irrational. It's very serious.
Actually, there is empirical evidence to contradict the claim that it is "impossible to control without meds". Medication helps alleviate symptoms in most cases, but not all. Different types of therapy have been shown to be just as effective as medication. In some cases meds have been shown to be less effective than therapy.

~ The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step ~

* Nothing in the world has ever been accomplished without passion *
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #13
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig it deeper View Post
Actually, there is empirical evidence to contradict the claim that it is "impossible to control without meds". Medication helps alleviate symptoms in most cases, but not all. Different types of therapy have been shown to be just as effective as medication. In some cases meds have been shown to be less effective than therapy.
Please provide the 'Empirical' evidence to support your claim.
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #14
Requin
Horse Cock

Aha, dubed by IAMSAM, yes he rules the world!!!!!!!!
I believe that your mind can overide anything, in other words i think that if you want to do something enough you can do it. So if you want to stop staring at computers all day, i think you can. That's the unscientifical explanation as i'm not in the mood for one of those

The Man with No Name
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #15
Sapphire
Tears & Smiles

Sapphire's Forum Picture

Simpson, H. B. and Liebowitz, M. R. did a study into the effectiveness of CBT or medication (SSRIs) as monotherapies (i.e. not combined) in 2005. They found that for more severe cases of OCD a combination of both was appropriate.

March, J. S. found that CBP (cognitive behavioural psychotherapy) is effective as a monotherapy, or combined with medication, for the treatment of OCD in children and adolescents.

Watson, H. J. and Rees, C. S. found earlier this year that when treating under 19-year olds CBT and medication were effective forms of treatment. CBT had a greater effect size than medication.

EDIT
What does dubed mean?
As far as I can work out it isn't a proper word...

Last edited by Sapphire; July 29th, 2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old July 29th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #16
Sapphire
Tears & Smiles

Sapphire's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistInNeed View Post
By the sounds of it, no. We all have little quirks and funny things that we like/do.

To have OCD you would have to experience intrusive, obsessive thoughts and compulsive actions.
For example, someone could have intrusive thoughts about their house being broken into and their belongings stolen. So they find themselves compulsively having to double-check and sometimes triple-check that everything is locked before they leave and sometimes even returning to check again.

Old July 29th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #17
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Quote:
Simpson, H. B. and Liebowitz, M. R. did a study into the effectiveness of CBT or medication (SSRIs) as monotherapies (i.e. not combined) in 2005. They found that for more severe cases of OCD a combination of both was appropriate.

March, J. S. found that CBP (cognitive behavioural psychotherapy) is effective as a monotherapy, or combined with medication, for the treatment of OCD in children and adolescents.

Watson, H. J. and Rees, C. S. found earlier this year that when treating under 19-year olds CBT and medication were effective forms of treatment. CBT had a greater effect size than medication.

EDIT
What does dubed mean?
As far as I can work out it isn't a proper word...
Which Journals are these from?

You have a tendency to confuse your own opinion for fact, I've mentioned this to you elsewhere, and you continue to state your beliefs very strongly as if they were factual, and I think you confuse the two. Without knowing these particular sources or the methodology used, it is impossible to determine the accuracy of these results. So, they merely support your preconceived opinion on this matter. This is misleading to others, and I think it would be better if your level of self assurance was a bit more in line with your actual grasp of the facts.
Old July 30th, 2008, 05:34 AM   #18
Sapphire
Tears & Smiles

Sapphire's Forum Picture

References (in order):
Simpson, H., & Liebowitz, M. (2005). Combining Pharmacotherapy and Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy in the Treatment of OCD. Concepts and controversies in obsessive-compulsive disorder (pp. 359-376). New York, NY, US: Springer Science + Business Media. Retrieved July 30, 2008, from PsycINFO database.

March, J. (1995, January). Cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy for children and adolescents with OCD: A review and recommendations for treatment. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 34(1), 7-18. Retrieved July 30, 2008, from PsycINFO database.

Watson, H., & Rees, C. (2008, May). Meta-analysis of randomized, controlled treatment trials for pediatric obsessive-compulsive disorder. Journal of Child Psychology & Psychiatry, 49(5), 489-498. Retrieved July 30, 2008, doi:10.1111/j.1469-7610.2007.01875.x

Please tell me what makes your opinion so superior on this topic?
Do you have evidence to support your view?

I would be interested in reading them because it actually seems to me that you confuse your personal opinion with fact.

EDIT
Oh, forgot to add this. All of these findings have been significant. The chances of them being down to chance are lower than 2%.

Last edited by Sapphire; July 30th, 2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #19
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Quote:
References (in order):
Simpson, H., & Liebowitz, M. (2005). Combining Pharmacotherapy and Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy in the Treatment of OCD. Concepts and controversies in obsessive-compulsive disorder (pp. 359-376). New York, NY, US: Springer Science + Business Media. Retrieved July 30, 2008, from PsycINFO database.

March, J. (1995, January). Cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy for children and adolescents with OCD: A review and recommendations for treatment. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 34(1), 7-18. Retrieved July 30, 2008, from PsycINFO database.

Watson, H., & Rees, C. (2008, May). Meta-analysis of randomized, controlled treatment trials for pediatric obsessive-compulsive disorder. Journal of Child Psychology & Psychiatry, 49(5), 489-498. Retrieved July 30, 2008, doi:10.1111/j.1469-7610.2007.01875.x

Please tell me what makes your opinion so superior on this topic?
Do you have evidence to support your view?

I would be interested in reading them because it actually seems to me that you confuse your personal opinion with fact.

EDIT
Oh, forgot to add this. All of these findings have been significant. The chances of them being down to chance are lower than 2%.
I appreciate this information, but since I cannot access the original versions I still cannot assess the credibility of these results. How were the samples chosen?, how was the diagnosis of OCD derived?, what instruments were used to determine 'improvement'? Citing journals as references or the statistical significance doesn't necessarily answer these important questions, you should know that. Something having a 2% statistical error variance is only valid if the subjects were properly selected in the first place!

If you were to talk with professionals who are trained to diagnose and treat OCD, what you'd hear is that OCD, like many disorders, occurs on a continuum, that the symptoms go from 'mild' to 'severe'. And as the symptoms become more significant, as they interfere more with ADL's, that medication becomes the more valuable tool in treatment. You cannot 'talk' someone out of something like OCD that is basically biologically determined, it would be like talking someone out of having a seizure. I suspect those that respond to therapy as well as meds probably had a more mild form, or OCD-like features.

CBT (or any other form of properly administered psychotherapy), is a valuable tool in treatment, regardless of how serious the disorder is. However, only those who have never actually worked with severe OCD (properly diagnosed, btw) would say that CBT alone is as effective as medication. Go find a professional who has some experience with this and ask them.

Perhaps what I'm also responding to is more personal, you're entirely too confrontational and nasty for my tastes, I don't do well with arrogance in the absence of excellence, in the very short time you've been here what i've read from you confirms the former without having the benefit of the latter. Perhaps as you're here more that might change. But until then, you might consider toning your attitude down and tucking your ego in a bit, at least around me. We're here to help others, not confront eachother. You are entitled to share an opinion with the OP, it is their choice who to believe.

Again, should you need to discuss this further, do it by PM, not here. But hopefully not.

Last edited by IAMSAM; July 30th, 2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old July 30th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #20
Sapphire
Tears & Smiles

Sapphire's Forum Picture

Quote:
I appreciate this information, but since I cannot access the original versions I still cannot assess the credibility of these results. How were the samples chosen?, how was the diagnosis of OCD derived?, what instruments were used to determine 'improvement'? Citing journals as references or the statistical significance doesn't necessarily answer these important questions, you should know that. Something having a 2% statistical error variance is only valid if the subjects were properly selected in the first place!
The way these are done (as far as I am aware) is the psychologists contact hospitals/doctors surgeries etc and enquire whether they have any patients who meet their criteria. These people are then contacted and asked if they would mind participating.
I cannot access the full articles or book so these will have to suffice.

Simpson & Liebowitz:
(from the chapter) Two monotherapies are efficacious for adults with OCD: pharmacotherapy with serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SRIs, ie, clomipramine and the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) and cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) consisting of exposure and response prevention (ERP). Expert consensus treatment guidelines for adults with OCD (March, Frances, Carpenter, & Kahn, 1997) recommend ERP monotherapy be offered to every OCD patient when available and that it be the first treatment used with patients with milder OCD. Serotonin reuptake inhibitor monotherapy or SRI + ERP treatment is recommended for adults with more severe OCD. In this chapter, we examine data supporting the premise that combining SRI and ERP treatment is more effective than either treatment alone. We conclude that for adults with OCD, combination therapy (SRI + ERP) is warranted in specific clinical situations. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2007 APA)

March:
Reviews 32 studies (published 1967-1994) on cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy (CBP) for obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) in children and adolescents, addressing empirical documentation, acceptability of treatment, and exportability, among other issues. Despite differences in terminology and theoretical framework, all but 1 showed some benefit for CBP interventions. Graded exposure and response prevention form the core of treatment; anxiety management training and OCD-specific family interventions may play an adjunctive role. Clinical and emerging empirical evidence suggest that CBP, alone or in combination with pharmacotherapy, is an effective treatment for OCD in children and adolescents. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2007 APA)

Watson & Rees:
Objective: To conduct a meta-analysis on randomized, controlled treatment trials of pediatric obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Method: Studies were included if they employed randomized, controlled methodology and treated young people (19 years or under) with OCD. A comprehensive literature search identified 13 RCTs containing 10 pharmacotherapy to control comparisons ( N = 1016) and five cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) to control comparisons ( N = 161). Results: Random effects modeling yielded statistically significant pooled effect size (ES) estimates for pharmacotherapy (ES = .48, 95% CI = .36 to .61, p < .00001) and CBT (ES = 1.45, 95% CI = .68 to 2.22, p = .002). The results were robust to publication bias. Conclusions: This is the first meta-analysis of treatment RCTs for pediatric OCD. CBT and pharmacotherapy were the only treatments effective beyond control in alleviating OCD symptoms. CBT showed a greater ES than pharmacotherapy. Previous meta-analyses that included uncontrolled trials exaggerated the efficacy of both treatments. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]

Quote:
If you were to talk with professionals who are trained to diagnose and treat OCD, what you'd hear is that OCD, like many disorders, occurs on a continuum, that the symptoms go from 'mild' to 'severe'. And as the symptoms become more significant, as they interfere more with ADL's, that medication becomes the more valuable tool in treatment. You cannot 'talk' someone out of something like OCD that is basically biologically determined, it would be like talking someone out of having a seizure. I suspect those that respond to therapy as well as meds probably had a more mild form, or OCD-like features.
I never said that someone could be "talked out of" OCD. CBT is a combined approach to therapy and addresses cognitive (thoughts) and behavioural modification.
No one can be sure whether it is or isn't fundamentally biological. There is no conclusive evidence to say that biochemical imbalances cause all cases of OCD. It could be an effect of OCD for all anyone knows.
Also, if you care to read one of my previous posts (and the abstracts above) you can clearly see that it is evident that in severe cases a combined approach is effective. Not just medication. This surely makes sense seeing as both forms of treatment help alleviate symptoms that combining them would help that bit more.

Quote:
CBT (or any other form of properly administered psychotherapy), is a valuable tool in treatment, regardless of how serious the disorder is. However, only those who have never actually worked with severe OCD (properly diagnosed, btw) would say that CBT alone is as effective as medication. Go find a professional who has some experience with this and ask them.
I have quoted and referenced the published work of qualified professionals. I have shown you the support for the statements I have made.

Where is your evidence that it is "basically biological" and "impossible to treat without medication"? Where are the professionals publishing saying these things?

Quote:
Perhaps what I'm also responding to is more personal, you're entirely too confrontational and nasty for my tastes, I don't do well with arrogance in the absence of excellence, in the very short time you've been here what i've read from you confirms the former without having the benefit of the latter. Perhaps as you're here more that might change. But until then, you might consider toning your attitude down and tucking your ego in a bit, at least around me. We're here to help others, not confront eachother. You are entitled to share an opinion with the OP, it is their choice who to believe.
I have not been as confrontational, gotten personal or started insulting you as you have towards me. You have, however, demanded to see the evidence of which I spoke and then claimed that wasn't enough. You demanded references, so I got you them. But they weren't good enough either so you demanded more information which I have given you. You have called me names, made slurs against my character and acted as if I am an ignorant child trying to join in an adults coversation.

Last edited by Sapphire; July 30th, 2008 at 01:41 PM.
Closed Thread