Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old February 2nd, 2016, 05:39 AM   #1
CreativeUsername

CreativeUsername's Forum Picture

Name: Toby
Default Lonely Life

So to start, let me give you the basics. I'm seriously depressed, I have terrible social anxiety which has caused me to homeschool, I'm generally shy, and for all those reasons, I have no real friends. I have a few people that I talk to on different social media sites occasionally, but I don't consider them real friends, since I don't even know their real name. Currently I'm working on getting back into a real brick and mortar school, and I'm going to start taking meds that will hopefully help, but until then, how do I cope with having no friends? How do I not let the loneliness make the depression worse? I've tried extra-curricular activities, but it makes me to anxious to keep doing them, and if I do, the anxiety prevents me from making friends. I know it sounds kinda crazy, but how can I not feel lonely, when I don't have friends?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CreativeUsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 11:58 AM   #2
Syzygy

Syzygy's Forum Picture

Default Re: Lonely Life

a lot of people will say loneliness is not a real problem and nothing needs to be done for those people despite the fact that humans are social creatures
Syzygy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 01:06 PM   #3
Sheriff McGregor
VT's Poet

Sheriff McGregor's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syzygy View Post
a lot of people will say loneliness is not a real problem and nothing needs to be done for those people despite the fact that humans are social creatures

I disagree loneliness is a real problem. However, it's up to you how you deal with it. In the mean time, focus on your school work. My best suggestion would be to find s hobby. I think joining a gym is great or picking up a pair of running shoes and start running in your neighborhood. These are great ways to relieve stress and/or anxiety. I'm not denying that loneliness sucks but, like all other hurdles, there is a way over or around it. Also, wait and see how your medication affects you.

THESHERIFF
Visit the links below if you'd like

Sheriff McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 05:19 PM   #4
CreativeUsername

CreativeUsername's Forum Picture

Name: Toby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff McGregor View Post
I disagree loneliness is a real problem. However, it's up to you how you deal with it. In the mean time, focus on your school work. My best suggestion would be to find s hobby. I think joining a gym is great or picking up a pair of running shoes and start running in your neighborhood. These are great ways to relieve stress and/or anxiety. I'm not denying that loneliness sucks but, like all other hurdles, there is a way over or around it. Also, wait and see how your medication affects you.

I already work out three times a week, sometimes more.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CreativeUsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 05:50 PM   #5
northy
Nice Poster

northy's Forum Picture

Name: Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbaz3 View Post
I already work out three times a week, sometimes more.
Join a running or gym club. The only way to overcome social anxiety (in my experience) is to plunge yourself in the deep end and see how it goes.

I have returned!
Dan | 17 | UK | Gay
northy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 10:06 PM   #6
StoppingTime
Retired Administrator

StoppingTime's Forum Picture

Name: Steven

If you're seriously looking to just not feel lonely and nothing else, then really, it's all about your perception of your life. From what you've said, it sounds like you're going to start trying to be more social, and that in itself will likely be a pretty difficult process. So you can either focus on the fact that you'll be doing that and you can focus your energy on trying to make friends or be more active in your school, or even before that, just understand that the state you're in now probably won't be where you'll be for that much longer in the future. It sounds like you're aware of your anxiety and how it restricts you from doing things, and you want to work towards controlling it; whether that's through medication, action, or both.
So the tldr is that what you're feeling now, assuming you go through with what you said, is only temporary. And focusing on other things (and yourself, too) is a good way to distract yourself, if you think that'd help, too

Mikey was here

Elysium was here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlerchan
WILL HOUSING CRISIS CAUSED BY COMMIE HOMOSEXUALIST-ABORTIONIST MARXIST IMMIGRANTS AND WELFARE CHEATS FROM RACIST ANTI-BRITISH EU CAUSE TB RATE FROM VACCINES TO RISE?!
StoppingTime is offline   Reply With Quote