Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 19th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #1
krystalm

krystalm's Forum Picture

Default Compulsive Skin Picking

does anyone else suffer from this? it's absolutely disgusting but i love picking at my skin and scalp, and my wrists are absolutely disgusting looking because of all the scars. but i can't help it at all. i've been doing this since i can remember and i can't even control it. i go into weird trances and i can do it for hours without even realizing it. i've never been actually diagnosed with it, but i meet the criteria, and it goes along with other things i deal with. it feels good when i do it, and just like releases stress. i can't explain it. i do it when i have nothing better to do, or my hands aren't moving, ughh anyone relate?
krystalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:36 AM   #2
ShatteredWings
Under the Stars

ShatteredWings's Forum Picture

Name: Kyle
Default Re: Compulsive Skin Picking

haha yessss i do this all the time...and i don't use bandages either so its really easy to....idk yea it's gross, specially when you start bleeding(??!??), but its fun

*yes i am nuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire_Flames View Post
VT turned me lesbo acid wankers wtf.
~Laura Was Here~
Retired Gmod
ShatteredWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM   #3
Ryandel
Awesome Poster

Ryandel's Forum Picture

Name: Alexander

Ya I did before. It god bad though, that I had to wrap gauze around my arm to stop some of the bleeding and prevent infections.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...del159/tag.png

Winnipeg, MB "Klinic" Peer Supporter
Ryandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:18 AM   #4
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!

Golly, you guys need to find a constructive hobby or something!

First, for something to be a 'complusion', it has to be some behavior you have no control over. It is almost automatic, there's a driven quality to it. And, the person cannot comsciosuly stop doing it, they cannot control it, it controls them.

What you all have are very bad habits, you've gotten used to doing something for whatever reason, and you continue to do it. It seems 'automatic', but that's b/c you just do it without thinking.

But you CAN stop it, perhaps by thinking about it and being more aware of it. habits, no matter how long you've had them or how strong they are, can be controlled. You just have to be aware of them, and then exercise a bit of self restraint.
IAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:20 AM   #5
Ryandel
Awesome Poster

Ryandel's Forum Picture

Name: Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMSAM View Post

First, for something to be a 'complusion', it has to be some behavior you have no control over. It is almost automatic, there's a driven quality to it. And, the person cannot comsciosuly stop doing it, they cannot control it, it controls them.

What you all have are very bad habits, you've gotten used to doing something for whatever reason, and you continue to do it. It seems 'automatic', but that's b/c you just do it without thinking.

But you CAN stop it, perhaps by thinking about it and being more aware of it. habits, no matter how long you've had them or how strong they are, can be controlled. You just have to be aware of them, and then exercise a bit of self restraint.

Notice how I said in mine long ago. My new constructive hobby is photography and baking bagels

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...del159/tag.png

Winnipeg, MB "Klinic" Peer Supporter
Ryandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:47 AM   #6
krystalm

krystalm's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMSAM View Post

It is a compulsion. I have to do it, or i do it without realizing it, and when i realize it and want to stop i can't. and when i don't do it i freak out and basically have a panic attack. it's a little more then a mere "hobby", i failed a final because i spent the whole time picking at my arm.

http://www.ocdla.com/compulsiveskinpicking.html
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:51 AM   #7
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

As I recall, you have alot of things going on for you, so maybe the picking is just a symptom of that other stuff. If you want to see it as a 'complusion', OK. But whatever you call it, it sounds like it's another thing in your life that's overwhelming you. Are you in therapy?
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:13 PM   #8
krystalm

krystalm's Forum Picture

it is a compulsion derived from my anxiety, but since it is usually common with ocd sufferers that's why i posted to see if anyone else dealt with it to. yeah, i just recently got back in it after i was medicated and could finally open up about it, which is why i started posting here because i've dealt with everything for so long which "created" all these after effects of abuse (says a former therapist?) and just need to get it all out, because it feels good to not keep everything in anymore and my current therapist said it would be good for me to talk to people who go through the same thing, and when i was too young for the ptsd forum, i happily found this.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:27 PM   #9
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

FWIW, I agree with both your former and current therapists, and mine's free!

Good for you for being in therapy, you can begin to understand all this stuff and the way you react to it, and hopefully, find better ways of dealing with it!
Old July 13th, 2008, 05:18 PM   #10
foof1
Member+

foof1's Forum Picture

That doesn't really sound like ocd. Do you feel that you have to do it or something bad will happen.
foof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #11
Rutherford The Brave
Rutherford

Rutherford The Brave's Forum Picture

Name: Gregory

Dont bump old threads just a warning close please?

Drop Acid, Not Bombs.
Rutherford The Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:00 PM   #12
Sapphire
Tears & Smiles

Sapphire's Forum Picture

I do this too.

Compulsive skin picking is also known as dermatillomania. It is a legitimate disorder and deemed to be on the Obsessive Complusive Disorder spectrum.

I've got a thread on this in the Cutting and Self Harm forum Compulsive Skin Picking (aka dermatillomania)

~ The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step ~

* Nothing in the world has ever been accomplished without passion *
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote