Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Notices

Old January 10th, 2016, 11:05 PM   #1
redrider12
Member+

Name: Mark
Default Posting in other colors

Okay, so this one of pretty broad.
I know we have the freedom to post in pretty much every color but red, which is fine. But is there a line drawn between expression of freedom and un-readability/annoyance? There are a few users who consistently post in either bright yellow or other colors who are next to illegible for those of us using browser. It's like there is a posting, but I can't actually read it

--Mark
18, K-123
redrider12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 02:29 AM   #2
ZacTheZebra

Name: Zachary
Default Re: Posting in other colors

I get it because i use a browser too but i don't think thats a good idea it'll only make the forum bring besides if you cant read it tell them they will change it

PM me/14/UK
"Whats the point in living? Because if you don't your missing out, do you want to miss out?"
ZacTheZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 07:15 AM   #3
Abhorrence
Death

Abhorrence's Forum Picture

There is no specific rule for coloured text other than not being able to use red as it is used only by moderators. However, some of the text colour choices that people have are definitely illegible on certain themes - however that is the main issue - everyone uses different themes. Maybe an illegible colour on my used theme would be different to another users so it would be unfair to say that the colour is not allowed on my account when someone else can read it perfectly fine. Ultimately, the only true solution would be to change the rule to say that no colours are allowed but that would also probably be unpopular for the users who like to change the colour of the posts.

Usually, I just highlight the text with my cursor so I can read it. It's an extra step but at least both of the parties can be happy.

Nothing will be waiting for you at the end of this life.

Ask // Private Message
~Mike was here~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium
Spooky scary labia
Abhorrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 09:31 AM   #4
Hudor
Awesome Poster

Hudor's Forum Picture

Name: Aditya
Location: On the only human-friendly planet in the Milky Way galaxy

I've faced this problem innumerous times, using Bingo! where on the white background, the yellow/cyan etc are pretty much illegible and strenuous to read.
Couldn't we ask users not to use to light shades(like it was in the chat-room) or too dark shades so that everyone can at least make out what is written?

Kudos to The Riddler(Siobhan) for creating the awesome signature!
Hudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 11:12 AM   #5
northy
Nice Poster

northy's Forum Picture

Name: Dan

I find this really annoying. An option turn turn off all colours (except red for Mods) would be really useful.

I have returned!
Dan | 17 | UK | Gay
northy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 12:20 PM   #6
redrider12
Member+

Name: Mark

Black is pretty much universally legible. Why allow freedom with some colors that are not, when it just necessitates extra steps for those who aren't using the same theme as OP?

--Mark
18, K-123
redrider12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 01:01 PM   #7
Desuetude
---

Desuetude's Forum Picture

Name: Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by northy View Post
I find this really annoying. An option turn turn off all colours (except red for Mods) would be really useful.
But what about things like surveys where using a different colour separates the question from the answer which makes it a lot easier to skim through and read? Or in peoples own diaries. Having the choice of using colour should be allowed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider12 View Post
Black is pretty much universally legible. Why allow freedom with some colors that are not, when it just necessitates extra steps for those who aren't using the same theme as OP?
I use Dark Inferno where all the text comes up as white. Black writing is a pain for me. Pretty sure its the same on Black and Gold too. So having all text be black basically makes those themes pointless.

Its not difficult to just highlight the text if you can't read it, or just skim past it, there are only a couple users who use illegible colours anyway so I don't see why it's that big a problem.
Desuetude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 01:43 PM   #8
Endeavour
Global Moderator

Endeavour's Forum Picture

Aye.
I use the vbulletin style and when people use yellow and white text it annoys me.

Global Moderator
live a life you will remember

Feel free to contact me: PM [email protected]
Visit: Path to the Horizon Ask Me Anything
Endeavour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 03:05 PM   #9
northy
Nice Poster

northy's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desuetude View Post
But what about things like surveys where using a different colour separates the question from the answer which makes it a lot easier to skim through and read? Or in peoples own diaries. Having the choice of using colour should be allowed.
I think people are entitled to use colour, but I shouldn't have to see it. Also, for surveys, there is bold or italic!

I have returned!
Dan | 17 | UK | Gay
Old January 11th, 2016, 03:25 PM   #10
The Byrd
Pepe

Maybe there could be something where the person reading the posts can change the colour that they read it in but it stays the same for everyone else. IDK

The Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 03:42 PM   #11
Endeavour
Global Moderator

Endeavour's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byrd View Post
Maybe there could be something where the person reading the posts can change the colour that they read it in but it stays the same for everyone else. IDK
Exactly my point with the yellow text.
You cannot see it unless you use forever blue which many people don't use.
I have to highlight the text (as if I was selecting it to copy/paste) to read it. That just gets annoying after a while.

Global Moderator
live a life you will remember

Feel free to contact me: PM [email protected]
Visit: Path to the Horizon Ask Me Anything

Last edited by Endeavour; January 11th, 2016 at 04:20 PM.
Endeavour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 04:07 PM   #12
Gwen
Awesome Poster

Gwen's Forum Picture

Name: Gwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byrd View Post
Lot's of forums and chat rooms have options to turn off text/colour formatting would love to see a feature like this. Not sure if it is available on vBulletin however.

What do I do, what do I do

What do I do, what do I do right?
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #13
Desuetude
---

Desuetude's Forum Picture

Name: Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by northy View Post
I think people are entitled to use colour, but I shouldn't have to see it. Also, for surveys, there is bold or italic!
VT has lasted 10 years with this not being brought up as a problem. I don't see why you're getting so worked up about it. Just ignore it. There's literally one active user that I can think of at the moment who uses colour. It really isn't that big a deal.
Desuetude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 05:36 PM   #14
northy
Nice Poster

northy's Forum Picture

Quote:
VT has lasted 10 years with this not being brought up as a problem. I don't see why you're getting so worked up about it. Just ignore it. There's literally one active user that I can think of at the moment who uses colour. It really isn't that big a deal.
I use tapatalk, like many other people on here. It displays the text on a white background, I cannot tell the difference between it. It is not just hard to read, I find it impossible!

I have returned!
Dan | 17 | UK | Gay
Old January 11th, 2016, 05:54 PM   #15
Let Me Be a Pony
Banned

Name: Pebbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventitious View Post
Exactly my point with the yellow text.
You cannot see it unless you use forever blue which many people don't use.
I have to highlight the text (as if I was selecting it to copy/paste) to read it. That just gets annoying after a while.
Forever blue forever, bro. I can't stand the other styles so I just stick to forever blue. Personal preference I guess.
Let Me Be a Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2016, 06:17 PM   #16
DerBear
Retired H&A Mod

DerBear's Forum Picture

Name: Derri

In the past I remember asking this question when I was on staff and like others have said their is no specific rule of thumb regarding colour other than red, which technically I believe isn't against the rule, its generally understood however, that one should not use red and mods will remind you to not use it because its the colour they use because it is applicable to all themes.

Personally I don't quite understand why someone would want to change text colour often and use any colour other than black unless highlighting something.

Retired Help & Advice Mod

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to send me a PM.
DerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2016, 06:54 PM   #17
Typhlosion
Fire-type Metalhead

Typhlosion's Forum Picture

Name: Alex

^

I also remember that. But I feel like colouring posts is a more recent thing no? When I'm on the Bingo! theme it's absolutely impossible to read some things. And, when I'm not on a computer, selecting the text is a hassle. I do also remember that I was kinda harsh with that back in my moderator days.

Honestly, for the same reason that we don't have spoiler tags because it hinders moderation, I do think that people should use custom colors as necessary. It's creative when you want to highlight a point, but it's downright annoying when it's the whole post.

Taking it a bit more to the extreme side, I think the teenhelp (or so) forum has a mechanism to autoformat your posts with a desired font, size, and colour. It works better there because both of the available themes use the same background colour, but it's still ugly any annoying to see. Also, been there, they're nothing like VT (and a post I made was rejected because the didn't agree with my opinion! How about that) so I wouldn't recommend bothering. They're not bad, but... I dunno.

So yeah, still against.

Formerly at your service! ^^
Ex-GD Mod

Straight / Atheist / Metalhead / Right-wing / Aspie
Typhlosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 03:58 AM   #18
con99

con99's Forum Picture

Name: Con

Quote:
But what about things like surveys where using a different colour separates the question from the answer which makes it a lot easier to skim through and read?
Well just use bold for the questions and normal text for the answers?

Con 16, UK, straight

None of my posts represent the opinions of my startup, our clients (both past and present) or constitute medical or legal advice of any kind.
con99 is offline   Reply With Quote