Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

View Poll Results: How long should be given to read each book?
30 Days 7 46.67%
45 Days 5 33.33%
60 Days 2 13.33%
Other (Please Specify) 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 18th, 2015, 03:20 PM   #41
Judean Zealot
Awesome Poster

Judean Zealot's Forum Picture

Name: Cato
Default Re: VT Reading Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlerchan
I'd also imagine Government and Governance to include the natural sciences insofar as this relates to questions of public-policy. What's the thoughts on that? It narrows the field to what I'd hope would be more accessibly formatted material.
Can you expand on this a little more?

I'd imagine that my above criticism of the natural sciences would apply here as well; the subject being relevant to public policy doesn't make it any more accessible to the layperson.

"Absolute tolerance is altogether impossible; the allegedly absolute tolerance turns into ferocious hatred of those who have stated clearly and most forcefully that there are unchangeable standards founded in the nature of man and the nature of things."
-Leo Strauss, Liberalism: Ancient and Modern

Last edited by Judean Zealot; December 18th, 2015 at 03:23 PM.
Judean Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 04:07 PM   #42
Vlerchan
Globalist Shill

Vlerchan's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judean Zealot View Post
I'd imagine that my above criticism of the natural sciences would apply here as well; the subject being relevant to public policy doesn't make it any more accessible to the layperson.
The aim would be to include the natural sciences as supplementaries. So one might read about the political realities of the climate change debate and then read the scientific reports that underline it.

It's in a similar fold to how I intend to introduce economics if it's on my mind when I get chosen. I intend the technical material to more supplement reading on the broader debate than be the focus. So here I'de choose a book on European Union trade politics - or NAFTA - or whatever - and then supplement that with the technical data. If I'm honest I'm not sure if the same scope is available with the natural sciences but I hope to still leave it open to people.

".... the result of a consistent and total substitution of lies for factual truth is not that the lie will now be accepted as truth, and truth be defamed as lie, but that the sense by which we take our bearings in the real world - and the category of truth versus falsehood is among the mental means to this end - is being destroyed ... [H.A.]"
Vlerchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 11:56 PM   #43
Judean Zealot
Awesome Poster

@Vlerchan.

Okay, I misunderstood you then. I'm in agreement with this, as I've posted earlier.

"Absolute tolerance is altogether impossible; the allegedly absolute tolerance turns into ferocious hatred of those who have stated clearly and most forcefully that there are unchangeable standards founded in the nature of man and the nature of things."
Old December 20th, 2015, 02:51 PM   #44
Judean Zealot
Awesome Poster

@Vlerchan

Is there anything we are waiting for?

Old December 20th, 2015, 03:27 PM   #45
Vlerchan
Globalist Shill

Vlerchan's Forum Picture

@Judean Zealot:

I thought I'd give a bit for people to offer up suggestions. I'll probably make a thread and get it running tonight though if that doesn't start happening.

".... the result of a consistent and total substitution of lies for factual truth is not that the lie will now be accepted as truth, and truth be defamed as lie, but that the sense by which we take our bearings in the real world - and the category of truth versus falsehood is among the mental means to this end - is being destroyed ... [H.A.]"
Old December 20th, 2015, 06:26 PM   #46
Paraxiom
neophyte ietsist

Paraxiom's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlerchan View Post
@Judean Zealot:

I thought I'd give a bit for people to offer up suggestions. I'll probably make a thread and get it running tonight though if that doesn't start happening.
Sounds good!
Paraxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #47
Vlerchan
Globalist Shill

Vlerchan's Forum Picture

I've gone and put the thread up there. Oakheart and Porpoise101 are up to choose the work first.

I added everyone that either commented they'd join in thread or voted (and never commented otherwise) to the pool.

Old December 20th, 2015, 09:43 PM   #48
Paraxiom
neophyte ietsist

Paraxiom's Forum Picture

Quote:
I've gone and put the thread up there. Oakheart and Porpoise101 are up to choose the work first.

I added everyone that either commented they'd join in thread or voted (and never commented otherwise) to the pool.

So is this now the thread for it?
Sorry if I misunderstand
Old December 20th, 2015, 09:48 PM   #49
Vlerchan
Globalist Shill

Vlerchan's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraxiom View Post
So is this now the thread for it?
Sorry if I misunderstand
Oops. Forgot the link:

http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/sh...84#post3277784

Old December 20th, 2015, 09:55 PM   #50
Paraxiom
neophyte ietsist

Paraxiom's Forum Picture

Quote:
Thanks