Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old November 24th, 2015, 03:25 PM   #21
ObliviousCat

ObliviousCat's Forum Picture

Default Re: My Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebdina View Post
There is currently no cure for cancer either, but people get medication and treatment, and they still get rid of it.
I am glad to hear that your situation is better, and hope one day you can see and begin to believe that you can get rid of your disorders.
Hope you are still getting help from your therapist.
And, usually, the cancer ends up coming back later on down the road. Please do not compare cancer to depression - they are two different things. There are many different types of depression. Situational depression will end up going away but will likely come back during another stressful situation. Clinical depression can affect you permanently or can be alleviated for a while, take a break and come back later on down in your life. The same goes for major depression. Then there's chronic depression and recurrent depression, which, as you can hopefully tell by the name, recurs and recurs again. There is no endpoint for depression. The aim of treatment is not to make patients "better" or "cured" but to make them feel well. This is usually the reason why medication only alleviates your emotional pain instead of, you know, making you magically happy. Same for therapy. The disorder tends to recur. Sometimes even with excellent expert treatment, depression can return and become chronic. Relapses usually happen. For now, no unambiguous endpoint of treatment has been defined and no specific test of cure exists.
No offense, but you do know what the words "treatment" and "cure" mean, don't you?
A treatment is medical care given to a patient for an illness or injury. For example, a patient receiving treatment for an injured shoulder. Eventually, the pain of being injured will be alleviated and might even be completely gone, but he will still have an injured shoulder, which is what he was being treated for in the first place. This, in turn, will make him more vulnerable and easier for the same shoulder to get hurt again, and the pain may end up recurring later down the road.
A cure is the relief of the symptoms of a disease or condition. In other words, it's supposed to heal patients, restore them to health, etc. etc. Curing is the complete relief of symptoms - not just masking it or making you feel like you're better when you aren't. This is why, you know, that broken shoulder the patient from earlier has will not get his shoulder "cured," for example, as his bones won't be restored or healed back to the way they used to be.

Last edited by ObliviousCat; November 24th, 2015 at 03:39 PM.
ObliviousCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #22
Bebdina

Bebdina's Forum Picture

Name: Dale

Well, it sounds like you have a really good handle on your situation.
(Hey, don't take this the wrong way, but sometimes is good to challenge your thinking)

You have contracted an incurable case of depression and anxiety.
You have been in therapy since you were 12. (any improvement?)
Your mother "deliberately triggers" your episodes. (how do you allow it to happen?)
Both you and your mom are verbally abusive to each other and your dad's house is infested with roaches.
But that's ok because you don't want your parents to get in trouble. (why?)
You wrote that things were better now, and yet you started the post writing the abuse has been going on for over a year...(?)
And you want a cat for emotional support. (In your depressed state, will you remember to feed him?)

After I read your older responses, it sounds like you write back to teach members about your disorder, instead of looking for an answer to your situation.

From here it looks like you are either used to your situation, or you are using your disorders to justify your behavior. (which one is it?)

Do you have Any power at all over your problems? Do you even want to improve them?
Bebdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #23
ObliviousCat

ObliviousCat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebdina View Post
Well, it sounds like you have a really good handle on your situation.
(Hey, don't take this the wrong way, but sometimes is good to challenge your thinking)

You have contracted an incurable case of depression and anxiety.
You have been in therapy since you were 12. (any improvement?)
Your mother "deliberately triggers" your episodes. (how do you allow it to happen?)
Both you and your mom are verbally abusive to each other and your dad's house is infested with roaches.
But that's ok because you don't want your parents to get in trouble. (why?)
You wrote that things were better now, and yet you started the post writing the abuse has been going on for over a year...(?)
And you want a cat for emotional support. (In your depressed state, will you remember to feed him?)

After I read your older responses, it sounds like you write back to teach members about your disorder, instead of looking for an answer to your situation.

From here it looks like you are either used to your situation, or you are using your disorders to justify your behavior. (which one is it?)

Do you have Any power at all over your problems? Do you even want to improve them?
Don't start talking about my cat, because it will strike a nerve in me. She is the best thing that has ever happened to me and I find it offensive and stupid for you to ask such a dumb question. Who do you think I am? Some four year old kid who got a puppy for Christmas and doesn't know the responsibilities of caring for another living creature? I am responsible for this cat - she is like a baby to me. I am her caretaker, and in return she gives me a lot of affection and care. She sleeps with me, I spend a lot of time and effort to train her, she even cares for me when I'm under emotional stress and anxiety attacks. I can go on and on and on about the things this cat does for me but because of her loving and doglike nature and how much I love her it would fill up the entire damn page. Don't fucking talk about my cat. The way you delivered it made it seem like you were assuming I only wanted an emotional support animal for myself and would be selfish and irresponsible, which as I've said before, is extremely offensive to me and strikes a nerve, because I love that cat very freaking much. She means everything to me.
I don't know what behaviors you're talking about.
Yes, I want to improve them. Who the hell wants to live with major depression and anxiety? -_- Seriously, just dumb questions being thrown from left and right. And I have improved them, if you bothered to read what I wrote before. The verbal abuse has stopped because we've worked on it. What kind of question is why when you restate me not wanting to get my parents in trouble? I'm not an adult. I'm still a child and I live with them. They are my parents and caretakers. Do you know what it'd be like if I had to go into a foster home, lose my emotional support animal and the only friend I have on top of all the disorders I go through?
Also, do you think I allowed it to happen? If you read my original post, correct me if I'm wrong, but I said that I've asked her to stop many times. I couldn't walk away that day, of course, because we were in the car in a parking lot. There was no way out of that situation.

I apologize for the harsh tone, but as I've said, the thing about my cat really struck a nerve in me.
ObliviousCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #24
PhandomMember

PhandomMember's Forum Picture

I would recommend talking to a professional who has dealt with this kind of issue. You should NEVER be treated this way, especially by your family. All I can say is be strong. I've been there, and I understand what it's like. Your mom may be having a hard time right now, but it gets better. I promise.

Please subscribe to danisnotonfire and AmazingPhil on YouTube!
PhandomMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 11:59 PM   #25
angelina
Member++

angelina's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirina View Post
The only trouble your mom gets is that she be unable to cause you trouble. I don't know if your dad is abusive, if not then it's unfortunate for him but you can still keep in touch and even meet him if the new home isn't too far.
i agree..it is Rather a good suggestion to get rid of the abusive behavior of your mom
angelina is offline   Reply With Quote