Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old September 10th, 2015, 12:25 PM   #1
Anemic

Anemic's Forum Picture

Name: Rachel
Default A question about Bulimia.

Hey! I'm new here but I'm aware on how everything works and all. I just have some questions about Bulimia. More about the aftermath of Bulimia. I have been suffering from bulimia ever since I was about 12. 12 to 15. About 3 years now. I have been getting help and going to an Eating Disorder clinic. I was wondering if bulimia can end up giving you anemia. My doctor diagnosed me as anemic last month. Anemia is a decrease in amount of red blood cells or hemoglobin in the blood. Thus making me tired all the time. I know that bulimia ended up causing me to become dehydrated and have a low blood pressure. That's where bulimia and anemia are tied. Low blood pressure. The weirdest thing is is that my doctor never mentioned bulimia at my appointment last month. So, I was wondering if bulimia is the reason I have anemia. Thanks!

"I'm anemic royalty." ~ Nirvana, Pennyroyal Tea.
Anemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 01:40 PM   #2
Desuetude
---

Desuetude's Forum Picture

Name: Isaac
Default Re: A question about Bulimia.

It would depend on the type of anaemia, I assume that you have iron deficiency anaemia as that's the most common and anything type of anaemia other than that seems to be very severe. I would think that they could definitely link. Iron deficiency anaemia is treated with iron supplements to get more iron into your diet so the fact that you have bulimia would probably tie in with the fact that there's not enough iron in your diet, making you anaemic. So if bulimia is not the sole cause, I would definitely think it was aiding it. I've never heard of low blood pressure being a symptom of anaemia but it could be?

Anaemia sucks so I honestly would try to take iron supplements to get your levels back up. I couldn't imagine having to deal with anaemia with an eating disorder because iron deficiency anaemia is largely centered around diet and your intake of iron e.g. oily fish, nuts, leafy green veg. If your levels drop too low you may end up having to have a blood transfusion. I nearly got to the limit where I may have had to have one but luckily my body seems to have stopped fucking up and I'm nearer normal levels now. I would try to do something about it if I were you because being exhausted doing the smallest tasks gets old quickly and it does end up taking over your life. But I suppose you have to deal with some of the symptoms because of your ED. Taking the supplements and finding healthy iron-rich foods would really benefit you, just take it slowly and I hope the clinic helps you to overcome your ED.
Desuetude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 02:19 AM   #3
Miscreant
Junior Member+

Miscreant's Forum Picture

Seems possible since it consists of purging and depriving nutrient intake. Your doctor who diagnosed you should know.

Miscreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 06:13 AM   #4
Sheilae

Name: Sheila

Its possible. Since Ive got bulimia I got anemia. Be careful
Sheilae is offline   Reply With Quote