Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old July 11th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #1
chris87
Frozen

Default OCD Possibly?

Although I have read this forum for quite some time, I have never actually posted. I am not quite sure what is wrong with me, but I think that I may have OCD and possibly an anxiety issue. I have contemplated seeking some help, but I've been too embarrassed to do so (mainly because I'd have to discuss it with my parents...I'm 20, and still on their insurance). I don't really think that they have any idea about these issues, and I feel like my Dad might think I'm weird.

Basically, I have a habit of doing things until they "feel right." For example, when I leave my bedroom in the morning, I always close my door. I'll end up pulling the knob and counting 6-7-8-9-10. I'll repeat this until I am okay with how the door is closed. My sister actually saw me do this one morning (I didn't know she was upstairs) and said "Do you have ocd or something?" I was so embarrassed. I also tend to do this with other knobs and switches around the house. I won't even use the downstairs bathroom, because for some reason, the pocket door that is there triggers these actions. I'll have to adjust the door 10 times, and it's too stressful. The underlying reason as to why I do these things is because I have this feeling that if I don't do these actions "correctly," one of my friends will no longer like me, or something bad will happen. I know that this is ridiculous.

I also tend to have a problem with preciseness/evenness. I don't even like to use my debit/credit cards anymore, because when I take them out of my wallet, I get nervous about them not being aligned correctly. One day, I literally readjusted them 10 times, until I was satisfied with how they were arranged. It's similar with my car keys...I have to have them positioned in a certain way, and it gets me really anxious if I see that someone moved them. I'll be paranoid that the keys may have gotten scratched or damaged from a family member touching them. I tend to also notice a problem if I'm mailing something. I'll literally take it out of the envelope 20 times, even though I know I dated/signed the check correctly, etc etc.

I'd appreciate any insight or advice.
chris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #2
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!
Default Re: OCD Possibly?

Well, I'm not sure about OCD, it's difficult to diagnose online. But, clearly something is going on that's interferring with your ability to function smoothly. At the very least, you've got pretty significant issues with anxiety. If it's OCD would depend on how incapacitating the urges are and how they interfere with your ability to think clearly. OCD is really crippling, it's not just the thoughts and behaviors, but the inability to clear one's mind of these issues and still think and understand things clearly. Also, is there a family history of either anxiety disorders or OCD? These things tend to run in families.

Whatever is going on, it does sound like you should see a doc and get it checked out. It's understandable that you'd be uncomfortable sharing this with your folks if you think they're unsuspecting or unsympathetic. However, the distress you're suffering with this and what you're missing out on should outweigh whatever it might feel like to seek their help. And, there are very effective treatments available.
IAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #3
Nihilus
Awesome Poster

Nihilus's Forum Picture

Name: Benjamin

Everyone is compulsive. My sister has OCD and she does stuff similiarly. Did you see the test thing on here. take it.

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me."
―The Code of the Sith
Darth Nihilus, Lord of Hunger
Nihilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #4
foof1
Member+

foof1's Forum Picture

That is definitly ocd. I have ocd and I do stuff just like that.

For the last few weeks I have been ignoring all of my compulsions (it's been really hard). At first I was really worried that something bad would happen, but nothing has. Maybe you should do the same. If you have any questions on how to deal with ocd you can message me.
foof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 05:33 PM   #5
foof1
Member+

foof1's Forum Picture

Thumbs down Re: OCD Possibly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMSAM View Post
Well, I'm not sure about OCD, it's difficult to diagnose online. But, clearly something is going on that's interferring with your ability to function smoothly. At the very least, you've got pretty significant issues with anxiety. If it's OCD would depend on how incapacitating the urges are and how they interfere with your ability to think clearly. OCD is really crippling, it's not just the thoughts and behaviors, but the inability to clear one's mind of these issues and still think and understand things clearly. Also, is there a family history of either anxiety disorders or OCD? These things tend to run in families.

Whatever is going on, it does sound like you should see a doc and get it checked out. It's understandable that you'd be uncomfortable sharing this with your folks if you think they're unsuspecting or unsympathetic. However, the distress you're suffering with this and what you're missing out on should outweigh whatever it might feel like to seek their help. And, there are very effective treatments available.
I have ocd and it's not "really crippling".
Old July 13th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #6
Rutherford The Brave
Rutherford

Rutherford The Brave's Forum Picture

Name: Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by foof1 View Post
It can be emotionally crippling and physically crippling. I have a friend who has OCD and she will take showers over and over again till her skin peels back and she bleeds. Also she can't stand the fact that her locker every year looks like a file cabinet. So yes it can be crippling.

Drop Acid, Not Bombs.
Rutherford The Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #7
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foof1 View Post

I'm not sure what you've got or who's diagnosed it, but those with OCD cannot just 'ignore' their symptoms, they are too overpowering for that. That's why it's classiified as a 'Disorder'.

There are a lot of things that can seem a lot like OCD, but the really qualifying determinant is the severity of the behaviors or the urgency of the thoughts, and the overwhelming quality to them. They really do stop the individual, and interfere with daily functioning. And, they interfere with normal thought processes, the ability to use logic and therefore exert some self control over their symptoms.

I'm glad you can do that, and I hope you succeed. However, for others with OCD, it's not that easy and medical intervention is usually required, and quite successful.
Old July 14th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #8
foof1
Member+

foof1's Forum Picture

IAMSAM: Your right, it isn't easy to ignore. I know that firsthand. When I first started to ignore my fears I had couldn't get my mind off of them. I was terrified that something bad would happen, like someone dying, getting really sick then dying, the house burning down, getting in a car accident, and many other things.

chris87: I know that it's not easy to just ignore your fears, so I'm going to tell you what I did and I really hope it will help you because it's not fun having ocd. I still find myself doing my routines sometimes.

- Think about what you are afraid of. Could it really happen if you don't do something a certain way or do a certain routine. Just think about it.
- You don't have to let your fears control you. You are in control of yourself. No one and nothing is.

It's not that much, but it will help. I still have it, and sometimes I give in to my fear, but these things have really helped me.
Old July 15th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #9
chris87
Frozen

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know if I would consider my OCD-like symptoms crippling, but they do bother me. That's the main reason why I've been thinking about seeking help. I also think that I have some form of SAD, which doesn't make matters better.

Another reason why I thought that I had OCD (that I forgot to mention) is because of an issue I have with clothes. I don't know if this is OCD related or not. I don't like to wear any of my nice outfits, even to school (even though I do like to look nice). I have this weird thing about my clothes getting messed up. I feel like if I wash one of my nice outfits, it will lose some color and won't look as nice. I'm even paranoid about washing my jeans, because I'm afraid they'll become dingy. I have all of these nice clothes from good stores, but I don't even wear half of them.

I also have an issue with my car. I don't like to put anything in it (including the trunk), because I'm paranoid that the leather will get messed up, or that my car won't look as new. I don't even like to have a passenger, for fear that they'll wear out the seat. It's so ridiculous (I know), but it causes me grief.
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #10
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

You sound very fussy, Chris, very 'particular' about the way you keep your things. I'm not sure that's OCD, it's probably learned. Your parents 'particular'? Did you grow up in a very orderly house?

Whatver you're calling this and wherever it might be coming from, if you're uncomfortable with it, it might be worth going to the doctor and working on resolving it.
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:43 PM   #11
chris87
Frozen

My parents aren't excessively particular...they're nowhere near as bad as me. I would say that my house is normal, not overly orderly, etc.

If I didn't have a bunch of other annoying things that I do, I would probably agree with you. Unfortunately, I have annoying rituals, where I do things until they "feel right." It's so annoying when I have to reread things 25 times, until I get it right in my head. I'm not even fond of reading books anymore. I'll even do this when I'm reading websites online.

Do most of you go to your General Practitioner first? I guess mine would be my pediatrician still, even though I'm 20. I haven't been there since my Junior year of high school, and I'm now a Junior in college. I think that they will keep me until I graduate, but I'm not positive. I was thinking about just going to see a psychiatrist or a psychologist, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #12
Uhh.Huhh RAN_DOM

Uhh.Huhh RAN_DOM's Forum Picture

Smile Re: OCD Possibly?

yes i think might actually be possible that you have ocd i mean do mostly the same things you do like when i lock the i have to press the button 3 times and others things in that manner but don't be worried if you think your dad might be weirded out he might be for a moment but all thats matters is that your family loves you...

Crank up DA TUNES!!
*MUSIC PLAYS"
DERE WE GO!:
We Rock...Therefore Thy R Ran_dum
peace in the weast...
Uhh.Huhh RAN_DOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 11:09 AM   #13
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Again, OCD isn't 'annoying', it's really debilitating. If you're in college and fairly successful there, it's doubtful you've got a full blown case of it. What you have gets in your way and you're sufficiently bothered by it to tell us, so that's probably enough of a reason to go to someone who can help you with it. The actual online diagnosis is really irrelevant (eventhough we can't do that accurately).

If you have a pediatrician, you can certainly give him a call and ask him for the name of a psychologist, he should be able to help you out with a referral. Alternately, many colleges have a student health service, which might also offer therapy, you can check that out, too.