Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old January 23rd, 2015, 11:08 PM   #1
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Name: Ren Höek
Default Anorexia Help?

Ok, so when I was evaluated going into therapy I was told I had most of the symptoms of anorexia (to my surprise)

I'm not saying I'm for sure anorexic, but I do apparently have a tendency towards it.

But... How exactly is anorexia treated? Anyone have any tips on how to maintain a healthy weight and not go overboard with binging, fasting, or exercise? :/

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old January 24th, 2015, 08:01 PM   #2
Mob Boss
Awesome Poster

Mob Boss's Forum Picture

Name: Bridge
Default Re: Anorexia Help?

Since I was never diagnosed with anorexia (I have EDNOS) and I never went through treatment, I found a link that is thorough and helpful as far as treatment goes. http://answers.webmd.com/answers/117...orexia-treated

The unhealthy mentality towards food becomes the norm to the point where eating an entire meal becomes an impossible task. You don't have to pile on weight by any means. In fact, that could be detrimental to your health to do. A gradual inclination of calories will ensure weight gain -- a concept that is probably frightening at the moment. Let yourself enjoy food. Not gorge yourself, but savor food and let yourself enjoy it as opposed to evading it all together. It's a mental illness. So if you do have it, you are very likely to experience relapses (as far as fasting, restricting, obsessive exercise goes, etc.) and it's going to feel like climbing a mountain without legs, but you can do it. Also, don't be so alarmed, "anorexic tendencies" is not "you'll be intravenously fed and experience room checks so we know you aren't hiding food, you anorexic." Tendencies are frightening in that they can morph into full-blown anorexia, but right now I would paint this situation yellow -- alarming but something you can absolutely overcome.
Old January 24th, 2015, 09:45 PM   #3
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Nut Feelios View Post
Since I was never diagnosed with anorexia (I have EDNOS) and I never went through treatment, I found a link that is thorough and helpful as far as treatment goes. http://answers.webmd.com/answers/117...orexia-treated

The unhealthy mentality towards food becomes the norm to the point where eating an entire meal becomes an impossible task. You don't have to pile on weight by any means. In fact, that could be detrimental to your health to do. A gradual inclination of calories will ensure weight gain -- a concept that is probably frightening at the moment. Let yourself enjoy food. Not gorge yourself, but savor food and let yourself enjoy it as opposed to evading it all together. It's a mental illness. So if you do have it, you are very likely to experience relapses (as far as fasting, restricting, obsessive exercise goes, etc.) and it's going to feel like climbing a mountain without legs, but you can do it. Also, don't be so alarmed, "anorexic tendencies" is not "you'll be intravenously fed and experience room checks so we know you aren't hiding food, you anorexic." Tendencies are frightening in that they can morph into full-blown anorexia, but right now I would paint this situation yellow -- alarming but something you can absolutely overcome.
Thanks. This helped me feel a lot better. It's been kind of a struggle to admit to myself that I have problems with food (I've gone back and forth on it since it really started to become a problem, which was probably about five years ago) but I am glad that I did before it became too big of a problem. (I've actually binged so much at one point that I had to call in sick from work the next day. That was like a year or more before I started to push away the denial, so things could've definitely gotten a lot worse. Sometimes I still go "Nahh, I'm fine." or "I'm just fat, I need to stop eating for a while" and I'll look back and want to punch myself, but that's not exactly productive.)

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to help. I really appreciate it.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old January 24th, 2015, 09:53 PM   #4
Luminous
Legendary Member

Luminous's Forum Picture

To answer the rest of your question, anorexia is treated like depression if it hasn't gotten out of control you weigh 50lbs sort of thing. A therapist and anti-depressants, basically. Eating disorders come from bad self esteem and feeling like you have no control, both of those feelings can be altered when treated like depression. Both can alternatively cause depression or anxiety or anger issues or other mental health problems. You should focus on these things when working with your therapist and make sure you're taking any medications and eventually you'll start to feel a bit better about yourself. It's also a good idea to keep a food diary and make sure you're taking in a healthy amount of calories every day. I also have anorexic tendencies and this is what all of my doctors have told me. I hope it helps.

val
Old January 24th, 2015, 10:01 PM   #5
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxe Illusion View Post
To answer the rest of your question, anorexia is treated like depression if it hasn't gotten out of control you weigh 50lbs sort of thing. A therapist and anti-depressants, basically. Eating disorders come from bad self esteem and feeling like you have no control, both of those feelings can be altered when treated like depression. Both can alternatively cause depression or anxiety or anger issues or other mental health problems. You should focus on these things when working with your therapist and make sure you're taking any medications and eventually you'll start to feel a bit better about yourself. It's also a good idea to keep a food diary and make sure you're taking in a healthy amount of calories every day. I also have anorexic tendencies and this is what all of my doctors have told me. I hope it helps.
That makes a lot of sense, actually. I haven't felt the need to binge since I've been on antidepressants.

Thanks Hannah

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old January 24th, 2015, 10:57 PM   #6
Deleted User
Legendary Member

Hannah's completely right although I should say that the food diary is something you should tread carefully with. Some people find the numbers helpful when they see they're reaching where they need to be and with others it can feel like a guilt trip. My eating disorder was fuelled by numbers so I trashed the food diary idea very quickly and just tried to focus on eating what my body was telling me to eat -- enough that I felt full and but not so much that I felt sick.

It takes awhile to get to that point if you've been binging and starving 'cause your stomach can shrink and expand but once you figure out a healthy point for yourself, it's easier to manage.

My point is, just be careful about a food diary or at least get a professional to monitor it so you're not suddenly abusing it (potentially without even realizing it).
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:11 PM   #7
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmilla View Post
Hannah's completely right although I should say that the food diary is something you should tread carefully with. Some people find the numbers helpful when they see they're reaching where they need to be and with others it can feel like a guilt trip. My eating disorder was fuelled by numbers so I trashed the food diary idea very quickly and just tried to focus on eating what my body was telling me to eat -- enough that I felt full and but not so much that I felt sick.

It takes awhile to get to that point if you've been binging and starving 'cause your stomach can shrink and expand but once you figure out a healthy point for yourself, it's easier to manage.

My point is, just be careful about a food diary or at least get a professional to monitor it so you're not suddenly abusing it (potentially without even realizing it).
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

I tend to fast a lot without even really realizing it now, so it might at least be good to mark when I eat a meal in a book or something, even without counting calories (which my ADHD would scream at anyways- I'd last three days. Max.), that way I at least know I'm eating. (Seriously though, sometimes I can't even remember if I've eaten at all in a day. Sometimes I'll realize I haven't eaten anything at all that day and it'll be like 10PM.)

But yeah, I can see how it could get unhealthy. Actually, when I WAS counting calories, I was also binging, and I'd end up eating 2.5k cal meals...

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old February 22nd, 2015, 11:59 PM   #8
RandAnonPers

Name: Jamie

I find a good way to treat Anorexia is to love your body. You shouldn't have to worry about what others think of you.
Remember: Fat is an opinion, Overweight is a condition.
there are safer ways of getting into shape than not eating, vomiting and abusing laxatives.

Personally, i think the best way to get rid of Anorexia is to find a food you cant resist XD. Gurl get to luv food
Old February 24th, 2015, 06:55 PM   #9
CuteGuy889
Nice Poster

Name: vicky

The key is to LOVE YOUR BODY...I too went to the verge of getting anorexia....Because until 14 I was stick skinny. I had a small girlish face, limbs were virtual sticks and I was bullied cos of this......Then by 15 or so I started to gain a little...Initially it was bearly noticeble...just a bit of a love handle my GF found amusing and I denied....I was devanstated on thinking of gaining....I started to starve myself.even purging few times...But my GF helped me pick up my self image. She would undress me in front of a mirror and make fun of my skinny-fat body, and say how cute I look with my new weight on..check where I have gained..where she can pinch more..affirm her love for my changing body..then if privacy permits take me to TV, sill in my briefs, and enocurage me to have a hearty normal meal....she would rub my belly and push me to finish my portion and even eat more...
This way in 1.5 yrs my waist went from 25 in to 36, face plumped up, , grew a bubble butt too....and I have gone from 48 kg to 65 kg at 5 foot 11......... nw I have a small tummy roll, and have sm man-boobies....but,despite all changes, i never succumbed to anorexia/bulimea..
I too now enjoy my gain..I have now got proper body proportions so all clothes from briefs to tee shirts hang on me better. I carry by body with pride, I even dare go for impromptu sea baths just in my briefs..
I am now healthier statistically too...When I used be skinny I was 172 cm / 48 kg and my BMI was 16.5 (underweight)...with the new weight I have put on now with 172cm / 65kg giving me a "healthy " BMI of 22.
Old February 25th, 2015, 02:42 PM   #10
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteGuy889 View Post
The key is to LOVE YOUR BODY...I too went to the verge of getting anorexia....Because until 14 I was stick skinny. I had a small girlish face, limbs were virtual sticks and I was bullied cos of this......Then by 15 or so I started to gain a little...Initially it was bearly noticeble...just a bit of a love handle my GF found amusing and I denied....I was devanstated on thinking of gaining....I started to starve myself.even purging few times...But my GF helped me pick up my self image. She would undress me in front of a mirror and make fun of my skinny-fat body, and say how cute I look with my new weight on..check where I have gained..where she can pinch more..affirm her love for my changing body..then if privacy permits take me to TV, sill in my briefs, and enocurage me to have a hearty normal meal....she would rub my belly and push me to finish my portion and even eat more...
This way in 1.5 yrs my waist went from 25 in to 36, face plumped up, , grew a bubble butt too....and I have gone from 48 kg to 65 kg at 5 foot 11......... nw I have a small tummy roll, and have sm man-boobies....but,despite all changes, i never succumbed to anorexia/bulimea..
I too now enjoy my gain..I have now got proper body proportions so all clothes from briefs to tee shirts hang on me better. I carry by body with pride, I even dare go for impromptu sea baths just in my briefs..
I am now healthier statistically too...When I used be skinny I was 172 cm / 48 kg and my BMI was 16.5 (underweight)...with the new weight I have put on now with 172cm / 65kg giving me a "healthy " BMI of 22.
I'm glad to hear things got better I'm trying to accept my body more as well

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old March 11th, 2015, 12:27 PM   #11
ChaosEarthquake

Name: Error

I've been diagnosed with severe depression and suicidal thoughts along with multiple eating disorders (bulimia, anorexia, etc.). I was kept in a psychiatric unit for a month away from my loved ones, and it drove me insane.
Trust me, I know how hard it is to eat. I constantly think about thinning up and getting rid of any excess weight I have.
To lose weight, you need to feel full, drink lots of water, and have daily exercise routines.
Old March 12th, 2015, 07:39 PM   #12
dirtyboxer55
Banned

Name: Drake

think about how good ice cream tastes
Old July 18th, 2015, 10:20 AM   #13
hazelteen

hazelteen's Forum Picture

Name: Axel

So the good news to start with is that you are willing to accept treatment and you are looking for tips on how to maintain a healthy weight.
You should know though that healthy weight DOESNT mean underweight or skinny or eating as little as pos.
i don't know which symptoms of anorexia you have but I can answer for some of the following.

If you are underweight, you will probably have to gain some weight to be healthy and fit. This is A GOOD THING. It is most likely that you will be prescribed a "food plan" whether or not you are underweight.

If you have nervousness or a fear around food, that is treated with therapy or
Psycology.

If you are eating the wrong things or have an unbalanced diet you will probably be put on a food plan.

Anorexia is a terrible illness. I would know, and you need to bash it on the head before it takes control. YOU ARE THE ONE IN CONTROL but if you find yourself eating too little or restricting or having any difficulty around food, you need to let a medical professional take the lead whilst you learn how to contain this illness.
Good luck, I wish u all the best!
Old July 18th, 2015, 10:38 AM   #14
Abhorrence
Death

Abhorrence's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelteen View Post
So the good news to start with is that you are willing to accept treatment and you are looking for tips on how to maintain a healthy weight.
You should know though that healthy weight DOESNT mean underweight or skinny or eating as little as pos.
i don't know which symptoms of anorexia you have but I can answer for some of the following.

If you are underweight, you will probably have to gain some weight to be healthy and fit. This is A GOOD THING. It is most likely that you will be prescribed a "food plan" whether or not you are underweight.

If you have nervousness or a fear around food, that is treated with therapy or
Psycology.

If you are eating the wrong things or have an unbalanced diet you will probably be put on a food plan.

Anorexia is a terrible illness. I would know, and you need to bash it on the head before it takes control. YOU ARE THE ONE IN CONTROL but if you find yourself eating too little or restricting or having any difficulty around food, you need to let a medical professional take the lead whilst you learn how to contain this illness.
Good luck, I wish u all the best!
Please don't post in threads that have been active for more than two months.

Nothing will be waiting for you at the end of this life.

Ask // Private Message
~Mike was here~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium
Spooky scary labia
Closed Thread