Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 21st, 2015, 08:51 AM   #1
TheRedViper

Name: Jake
Default Do I have social anxiety disorder?

I'm usually a very confident and funny guy... but only around people I know and am friends with, or around family of course. I have no problem telling jokes and having a laugh with people, even if I don't know them too well, but at least am on good terms with them. I've been told by guys and girls alike that I'm a really funny guy, and I generally fit in well at school with most people.

However, I have reason to believe I may have some kind of social anxiety disorder. Firstly because I'm terrible at parties. I've been to two "actual" parties, one being the house party of a girl I knew who was turning 16. There was no alcohol and a lot of adults around so it wasn't exactly a wild party. I became so horribly bored that I just hung around with a couple of friends and we talked and laughed together the whole night, happy to not be the focus of the party. The second party was an afterparty for a school dance. There was alcohol, and I was thankful cause I got drunk and it was the only way for me to get through it. Again I hung around a few friends while I drank. At both parties I had zero motivation to talk to anyone I wasn't friends with and could relate to not wanting to be there.

Just a few weeks ago my friend texted me and asked me if I wanted to go to a nightclub with her. I'd never been to one before and being the legal drinking age I thought 'sure'. However as I was getting ready to leave a massive wave of anxiety and panic came over me. I suddenly felt extremely insecure and nervous, knowing I'd be so out of place and uncomfortable there. I'm not the kind of person that enjoys the clubbing lifestyle. I thought I was too unattractive or too shy or too awkward, I just thought I'd feel horrible there. I texted my friend and told her I couldn't go. She was a bit annoyed but went with her boyfriend instead anyway.

So yeah, I don't know what I am. I'm completely comfortable and at ease around people I know, especially when it's in a relaxed environment like school, but when it's at a party or a club I just can't function. I feel so pathetic and below everyone else, and the very idea of going up to and talking to a person I don't know makes me feel so uncomfortable and insecure. I'm worried that once I finish high school it will be hard for me to meet new people if I can't even function at parties or clubs now.
TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 09:10 AM   #2
Jaffe
Great Poster

Jaffe's Forum Picture

Name: Jaffe
Default Re: Do I have social anxiety disorder?

I'm not sure that is really a "disorder". But I'm not a doctor or a psychologist. But it sounds really familiar..... I like being around my friends, but get totally anxious about being in big groups or in crowds, and that is part of the reason I don't go to big parties or to school dances and stuff. I thought it was just part of being a kid who didn't like crowds.
Jaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 12:35 PM   #3
Babs
little lady

Babs's Forum Picture

Family & Friends Anxiety
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 03:56 PM   #4
Miserabilia
Our Bipolar Friends

Miserabilia's Forum Picture

Name: dan/johnny foreigner/cheesee

Just read this and I feel like I"m reading something I wrote a year ago;
I had the exact same problem.

Though it can be permanent and form an even more serious problem later on, there's a very good chance it will fade or atleast be easier to deal with.

Often people who are sensitive to social anxiety and other anxiety issues will have a difficult time in puberty.

For me it slowly started fading away. I know it's not much of a help now, but just know that it will get a lot less worse. Hope that helped.

shout at the world because the world doesn't love you

lower yourself because you know that you have to.
Miserabilia is offline   Reply With Quote