Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2015, 10:40 PM   #1
phuckphace
VT Lover
 
Join Date: February 24, 2013
Gender: Undisclosed
Blog Entries: 1
Default deletion of "off topic" discussions

it would be immensely helpful if off-topic discussions were split into new threads rather than simply deleting them and expecting the posters to re-create the lost discussion from memory.

this thread is one example. we had a pretty lively discussion going which was purged for being "off-topic", even though it takes the same number of mouse clicks to split a thread as it does to delete one. is there some reason why my suggestions to split threads continues to be ignored?

another issue is the fact that political debates in the Daily Chronicle are deleted, despite most news stories being political in nature. debates in the Chronicle are to be expected. either the DC should be merged with ROTW or else the rule against "off topic" political discussions in news threads about politics ought to be changed.

~ not posting anymore cru ~
phuckphace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 07:40 PM   #2
Meh Guy
Awesome Poster
 
Meh Guy's Forum Picture
 
Name: Adam
Join Date: July 2, 2011
Location: Ontario
Gender: Cisgender Male
Default Re: deletion of "off topic" discussions

I agree with this. Or even just have a mod move the DC thread to ROTW. @Plane And Simple did this on an article thread that turned into a 3 page debate. Deleting things really only helps when someone breaks the rules.

Maybe an Off topic forum for any threads that go a little off from the original forum description?




Jack is bae <3

Quote:
Idk, straight guys are weird, that's my final answer.
Meh Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 07:52 PM   #3
Uranus
Mah Home
 
Uranus's Forum Picture
 
Name: Thomas (Yung Merk)
Join Date: June 7, 2014
Location: Take A Guess
Age: 18
Gender: Cisgender Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: deletion of "off topic" discussions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meh Guy View Post
I agree with this. Or even just have a mod move the DC thread to ROTW. @Plane And Simple did this on an article thread that turned into a 3 page debate. Deleting things really only helps when someone breaks the rules.

Maybe an Off topic forum for any threads that go a little off from the original forum description?
Aaaaaannndd that's where PM'ing is handy




#ThugLife
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 07:55 PM   #4
Meh Guy
Awesome Poster
 
Meh Guy's Forum Picture
 
Name: Adam
Join Date: July 2, 2011
Location: Ontario
Gender: Cisgender Male
Default Re: deletion of "off topic" discussions

@Bright Nights but can you have a group PM? Because that would kinda offer the same thing... I've never tried to PM more than one person




Jack is bae <3

Quote:
Idk, straight guys are weird, that's my final answer.
Meh Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #5
Arkansasguy
Nice Poster
 
Join Date: December 29, 2014
Gender: Male
Default Re: deletion of "off topic" discussions

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuckphace View Post
it would be immensely helpful if off-topic discussions were split into new threads rather than simply deleting them and expecting the posters to re-create the lost discussion from memory.

this thread is one example. we had a pretty lively discussion going which was purged for being "off-topic", even though it takes the same number of mouse clicks to split a thread as it does to delete one. is there some reason why my suggestions to split threads continues to be ignored?

another issue is the fact that political debates in the Daily Chronicle are deleted, despite most news stories being political in nature. debates in the Chronicle are to be expected. either the DC should be merged with ROTW or else the rule against "off topic" political discussions in news threads about politics ought to be changed.
Here. Here.

That was great discussion we had going, it would have been much better if it had simply been moved.
Arkansasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #6
Uranus
Mah Home
 
Uranus's Forum Picture
 
Name: Thomas (Yung Merk)
Join Date: June 7, 2014
Location: Take A Guess
Age: 18
Gender: Cisgender Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: deletion of "off topic" discussions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meh Guy View Post
@Bright Nights but can you have a group PM? Because that would kinda offer the same thing... I've never tried to PM more than one person
I'm not sure but that would probably involve a chat room.
And if we had off top thread or separate forum, there'd be so many things you couldn't keep up with.




#ThugLife
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 08:29 PM   #7
azure moonstone
glowing
 
azure moonstone's Forum Picture
 
Name: Allison
Join Date: November 8, 2012
Location: The Crystal Castle
Gender: Cisgender Female
Blog Entries: 21
Default Re: deletion of "off topic" discussions

I think an idea like this only works on request. Like Alex, said in the other thread right here, I am sure that any moderator or senior staff member would be more than happy to move posts to a new thread if you want.

However, thinking the staff members should be doing it on their own as part of their expected job is pretty ridiculous. The VT staff does a lot of work already, and babysitting members who post off-topic with the expectation that someone else will "just take care of it" - quite honestly, is trying to excuse your own ignorance for the rules. Really, if you see that something may be going off on a tangent - how hard is it for you to create a new thread and ask someone to move x-number of posts?

I think asking the moderators to not delete posts or warn for being off topic and spend time creating new threads for other people on their own...is a bit too much.

Honest - it's not too hard to message any moderator and request.
azure moonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 01:16 AM   #8
Plane And Simple
Good Life
 
Plane And Simple's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 10, 2011
Location: 40,000ft above the earth
Age: 19
Gender: Cisgender Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: deletion of "off topic" discussions

While I see your point @phuckphace, you need to understand were quite busy. If we ever delete some posts you didn't want deleted but moved to a new thread, do PM me, or any other staff member (I'd leave out seniors as they're already extremely busy) and we'll do it for you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooy View Post
Im still virgin
I'm not,math and physics f*** me every day.
Plane And Simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 09:45 AM   #9
phuckphace
VT Lover
 
Join Date: February 24, 2013
Gender: Undisclosed
Blog Entries: 1
Default re: deletion of "off topic" discussions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Dream View Post
I think an idea like this only works on request. Like Alex, said in the other thread right here, I am sure that any moderator or senior staff member would be more than happy to move posts to a new thread if you want.
thanks, I'll do that

Quote:
However, thinking the staff members should be doing it on their own as part of their expected job is pretty ridiculous.
I don't mean to turn this into a back-and-forth argument, but moderators...erm...moderate things, hence the title. if thread-splitting were a long, convoluted process that required you to telnet to the VT server and /cp the posts manually, that would be one thing, but the Split Posts option is located in the same "Moderator Tools" dropdown box as the "Delete Posts" option. it's an entirely reasonable request, or at least I thought it was based on that logic.

Quote:
The VT staff does a lot of work already, and babysitting members who post off-topic with the expectation that someone else will "just take care of it"
"babysitting"

yeah, I'd say that's a slight exaggeration.

"just taking care" of things is part of what moderation is. you guys have access to special functions that the rest of us don't. honestly, you becoming offended by a regular members' expectation that you'll use the moderator tools you have at your disposal to moderate is what's "ridiculous" about this, in my humble opinion. I've never known a mod to balk at the idea of getting to do more moderating, either - most of them seem to live for it. but in any case, it's not really more moderating at all.

Quote:
- quite honestly, is trying to excuse your own ignorance for the rules. Really, if you see that something may be going off on a tangent - how hard is it for you to create a new thread and ask someone to move x-number of posts?
what's funny is that I actually considered reporting my post in that thread that I linked above with a request to split it, but changed my mind after the discussion had gone on for a length of time and no moderation action had yet been taken by the staff. considering that the original thread was about conservatives, was located in ROTW, and stayed on the general topic of conservatism, I guessed (incorrectly, as it turns out) that we were "cool."

Quote:
I think asking the moderators to not delete posts or warn for being off topic and spend time creating new threads for other people on their own...is a bit too much.
I'm not suggesting that tangential discussions shouldn't be dealt with in some way, just that deleting an otherwise civil discussion in a forum for discussions is...less than ideal.

~ not posting anymore cru ~

Last edited by phuckphace; February 13th, 2015 at 09:51 AM.
phuckphace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:02 AM   #10
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator
 
ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture
 
Name: Mike
Join Date: April 26, 2010
Location: US
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Default Re: deletion of "off topic" discussions

Like Ali said, this is something we'd be more than happy to do upon request. However, the first action is generally deletion, as a lot of these topics really just don't pertain to the thread, and it's really up to you if you want to make a new thread for a new discussion, not us.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.


Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 01:32 AM   #11
DerBear
Retired H&A Mod
 
DerBear's Forum Picture
 
Name: Derri
Join Date: April 2, 2011
Location: Scotland
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 7
Default Re: deletion of "off topic" discussions

I'll be honest and say I thought that's what was done if it was more than one or two posts. I always thought moderators would split off topic posts as deleting them and splitting them do generally take roughly the same amount of time and the options are in the same drop down list.

When I was a H&A Mod I used to split posts that were asking a completely different question into its own thread because the OP would sometimes get a little annoyed with off topic posts but then again I suppose H&A is different from general discussion.


Retired Help & Advice Mod

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to send me a PM.
DerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2017
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2017, VirtualTeen.org