Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 18th, 2015, 08:52 PM   #1
jennaispro

Name: Jenna
Default Leaving for College Anxiety

So I'm a senior in high school, and I'm absolutely terrified of going to college. I've gotten two acceptances with nice merit scholarships so far (Washington College with $70K and Goucher College with $68K) but I'm so anxious about going, I can't seem to be happy about it. I feel like I'm letting everyone down, because my family and friends are so happy for me and I'm too anxious to be excited...
jennaispro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 01:22 AM   #2
James Dean
Rebel

James Dean's Forum Picture

Name: Charles
Default Re: Leaving for College Anxiety

Give it a try as they say. I was at first struggling with the college idea myself, but I quickly grew to like it and met so many new friends and experiences out of it. I love going to class and I have changed my study a couple times but it's all good. Don't regret going and I'm using it as a tool to learn more about myself and what type of career I want to eventually get myself into.

Just as long as you have a committed major, the will to apply yourself, and understand there are going to be tough times, just go for it. Don't always think about the negatives especially in situations such as this. Your future is at stake. You'll be fine girl.

VM
PM

"You could stop at five or six stores, or just one."
James Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 10:34 PM   #3
BKchickenFries
Junior Member+

It sounds like you have the same type of anxiety as I do. My anxiety is about change, and college is a HUGE change, so you could imagine the panic attacks I had/have. It helps me a lot to go home as often as necessary (usually about 3 weeks to a month, but more frequently in the beginning). If you can or have one, I would bring your car as a sense of familiarity and also gives you the ability to go home when you need to. Overall, my advice is to keep revisiting the things you are familiar with and slowly spend more and more time at school until you make those friends that you can rely on and want to be with and you establish the college home as your "home base of familiarity."
BKchickenFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 10:39 PM   #4
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth

it is perfectly normal to be anxious about such a huge life change/transition. but once you are there, I am sure (like most) you will begin to enjoy the ride (though I cant speak from personal experience obviously)

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
SethfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 11:20 PM   #5
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike

Like Seth and CELT said, it's very, very common to feel anxious or apprehensive about going away to school, and it is totally understandable. It's a big life change -- but something you have to think about is the sheer number of people who do it every year -- if they can do it then so can you

I was very nervous about starting college, and I am still living at home so it's a little different in my case, but like anything, it's a learning curve and you will take a lot away from having the experience of going away and taking care of yourself while still going to school.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote