Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old December 9th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #1
amgb
Awesome Poster

Default Friend hallucinating..

I have a friend who's schizophrenic, does any of you have any idea what I can do when I'm next to her and she starts having hallucinations? Cause that has happened more than once and Ive just been sitting there stiffly not knowing what to do and I hate that because I want to comfort her somehow cause she gets scared, and I'm afraid of touching her when she's having them because I don't want to scare her even more...I first met her at a mental health ward and she has these episodes regularly. Of course I would tell someone if it gets really bad but what about for her shorter episodes of hallucinations?
amgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #2
CosmicNoodle
Resident Twat

CosmicNoodle's Forum Picture

Name: Joe
Default Re: Friend hallucinating..

From my experience (I often see and hear things) the best thing you could do is just be there if she needs you, talk to her maybe, I'm not an expert because I rarely get scared by them so I'm not sure what the addition of fear would do to the equation. But a decimate one is to just be there and talk to her.

As for physical contact, not sure, maybe experiment with that, see how she personally feels about it when she starts to melt down, everyone's different, some people are OK with it, some people will freak the fuck out, start out be like touching her hand or something and gradually move on from there to make sure she's OK with it.

My names Joe, but you can call me "Lord and master of all space and time"
I'm Bisexual, deal with it
Ask me shit

~Mike was here~
CosmicNoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #3
CharlieHorse
VT Lover

CharlieHorse's Forum Picture

Name: Charlie
Location: The "Tech Capital of the World" which for some reason, still has shitty internet speeds

I wouldn't cause her any more sensory input when she's hallucinating. This hallucination is a disconnect between sensory parts of the brain and reasoning parts. I would think that trying to calm her down might make the hallucination more intense.
To be honest, you should ask her.
Does she have coherent thoughts?

Hi everyone
Visit my diary The Everfree Forest
Ask me
Ask Charlie
CharlieHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2014, 04:23 AM   #4
amgb
Awesome Poster

I've just never seen other people do anything when she's having an episode, one time two of our other friends were there and they just sat around looking uncomfortable so that's why I personally don't know what to do. I've been worried about talking to her when she's having hallucinations because as Charlie said I might be causing more sensory input which might make it worse for her and I don't want that, but it sounds like sensible, I'll try talking to her softly first Before trying with the physical contact, I will try to go slow I don't want to overwhelm her even more. And yeah I shall ask her what she thinks. Thanks guys, really appreciate the advice~~

Last edited by amgb; December 10th, 2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 07:40 PM   #5
MattyMattyy

MattyMattyy's Forum Picture

Name: Matty

I agree with CharlieHorse, maybe ask her what she would like you to do before doing it. If she has hallucinations of people touching her then if you touch her it might spook her. If you are going to do anything then yes, do it in little steps.

Pansexual/British/Unionist/Gamer/Far-right

PM me or leave me a visitor message if you want, I love talking to new people
MattyMattyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2015, 08:52 PM   #6
amgb
Awesome Poster

It's just We haven't talked in a while, but when we do I'll definitely ask her and take it in little steps. Thanks Matty : )

Raise your words, not voice. It is {light} rain that grows flowers, not thunder. ― Jalaluddin Rumi