Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [2]

Old June 14th, 2014, 11:45 AM   #21
KieranRules

KieranRules's Forum Picture

Default Re: How do you deal with a panic attack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisenUpJanetWeiss View Post
Oh believe me, (in my opinion) any American in their right mind feels the same way. The government sucks.

I actually haven't read up on Obamacare or anything- I feel that it's unfair that insurance is a legal requirement, because er, some people can't feed themselves, or afford homes. What the actual fuck. You think they can afford insurance? There's a line, and if you're over the line, and you have medical problems, health insurance is a great thing if it's good. HOWEVER, if you're under the line, it's practically pointless- you could be saving that money to make sure you don't starve to death or die from being exposed to the elements instead. (As health insurance is also very expensive here. I'm glad that I'm not going to be 18 for another few months, because I'm dealing with a lot as it is, and insurance is not only the last thing on my mind, but something vital to me. I'm both mentally and physically disabled- I can't afford to be uninsured. [ironically])

But yeah, that's really off-topic

Hah, alright.

I find that pets can help a lot if they're uh...In the right disposition. XD If my animals are fidgety or noisy, it doesn't help me.
Well in the UK there are no 'insurance plans' offered by the NHS. It's quite simple, if you pay taxes in the UK then some of that tax goes to the NHS from the tax budget. The good thing about this is that if you are homeless or don't pay tax because you don't have a job, you are still allowed treatment and care for free. Also, you're ambulance service runs off the 999 (American 911) call system and can't charge you for service as that is also paid from the tax budget. The system makes it fair for everyone and simple however it takes up about 30% of the tax budget and encourages illegal immigration.

Income tax in the UK has always been about 20% on average and the NHS hasn't changed the rates of tax. In other words, to the people, it's a 99.9% free healthcare system. In the sense that it doesn't charge you any more in tax. The one 0.1% is the fact some treatment is too expensive for the NHS so you have to pay yourself.

I'm going to stop talking about that anyway before I get stung by a mod

Gay Super Giant Rockstar...
...And I Like Kittens.
KieranRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 11:47 AM   #22
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Name: Ren Hek

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranRules View Post
Well in the UK there are no 'insurance plans' offered by the NHS. It's quite simple, if you pay taxes in the UK then some of that tax goes to the NHS from the tax budget. The good thing about this is that if you are homeless or don't pay tax because you don't have a job, you are still allowed treatment and care for free. Also, you're ambulance service runs off the 999 (American 911) call system and can't charge you for service as that is also paid from the tax budget. The system makes it fair for everyone and simple however it takes up about 30% of the tax budget and encourages illegal immigration.

Income tax in the UK has always been about 20% on average and the NHS hasn't changed the rates of tax. In other words, to the people, it's a 99.9% free healthcare system. In the sense that it doesn't charge you any more in tax. The one 0.1% is the fact some treatment is too expensive for the NHS so you have to pay yourself.

I'm going to stop talking about that anyway before I get stung by a mod
Haha, no shit- I'm from a first world country, and that'd motivate me to illegally immigrate

Yeeeah, we'd better stop

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Karkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 05:56 AM   #23
Caligari

Name: Tom

I take Xanax, works like a charm, I don't know whatId do without it.
Caligari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 12:37 PM   #24
CosmicNoodle
Resident Twat

CosmicNoodle's Forum Picture

Name: Joe

Personally?
I cry and rock back and fourth, my panic attacks only really happen when I'm having g a total melt down anyway, meaning I'm to much of a mess to deal with it properly so I just fuck around till its over.

My names Joe, but you can call me "Lord and master of all space and time"
I'm Bisexual, deal with it
Ask me shit

~Mike was here~
CosmicNoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 10:49 AM   #25
Gottaloveaginger14

Name: Cori

I just try taking short quick breaths because normally I forget to breath when I have a panic attack and normally my breathing eventually goes back to rormal. I also do better if someone hugs me or holds me

www.thebrokenandthebeautiful.wordpress.com
check out my blog yall!
I love you guys so pm me any time because I'd love to chat <3
kisses
-C
Gottaloveaginger14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:45 AM   #26
Caligari

Name: Tom

The only way I know how to deal with them is to take Xanax and distract myself until it works, it takes about 20 minutes at most
Caligari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 12:32 PM   #27
nikkissippi121
Junior Member+

nikkissippi121's Forum Picture

Name: Nikko

I have at least one a day. I mostly just try to breathe normal and distract myself, however possible. It's usually worse in public or when I'm trying to sleep, so I often daydream - I like to write and draw, so I usually just focus on a story I'm trying to write and that'll get me through it. I have both Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) and Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD) that were so bad that, when I was a kid, I had to be the first kid to arrive at preschool, and when I started high school, I wouldn't go into a classroom if I were late for class. In June, I graduated and was on the front row, on stage, in front of a crowd of about two to three thousand. I'd never have been able to sit there like that years ago, but I've worked hard and when the day actually came, it wasn't too bad.
Sorry, this got kind of long, but, tl;dr, find something that helps distract you from your anxiety and stick with it. It might not fix it altogether, but it should help. Good luck!
nikkissippi121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #28
Yugen
Member++

Yugen's Forum Picture

Name: Yugen

I usually try to leave the situation and find somewhere that's pretty open and not crowded, and breathe. I'll also get someone there with me that I trust. It's easier to deal with until it passes.

Yugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #29
slopestyle
Junior Member+

My panic attacks (other than typical anxiety anyway) manifest both mentally and physically. Short of using medication (which I do when they're really, really, really bad and don't go away) I do as everyone else stated and eat/drink something and do everything possible to completely distract my brain from the way I'm feeling. The one thing that actually helps me a lot is driving, believe it or not. But when the panic attacks hit me hard, it's the first thing I do because it's the one thing that I know I can NOT mess up in for the sake of myself and others around me, the amount of focus it takes to drive normal when they hit helps me tenfold. I'll even stop and do things like get food or drink, get gas, buy something random in any store and just keep driving. That way I'm forcing myself to interact in a normal scenario and forget about it even if it's just for a minute or two.
If I'm around friends or (some of) my family and they see it hit me, they talk with me and hold my hand and just remind me that it's going to pass and they completely understand what's going on.

Although I've never been diagnosed with any mental illnesses, I know anxiety runs deeeeeeep in my family coming from my grandmother, and my sister suffers from mild depression that she takes meds for (same dose and same pill for 6 years and she's been great), I know I have OCD but it's pretty mild but I'm sure that doesn't help with my anxiety issues.

Seriously though as crazy as it may sound to some of you, if you have the legal ability to- drive!!! Even go around the block just to see how you can handle it and go from there. Sometimes it helps me within 5 minutes, sometimes it takes 40 minutes or more. But it's enough to distract me and help me come back down to a normal state of mind
slopestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 09:35 AM   #30
michealstich
Banned

I don't have a panic attack disorder, but do get panic attacks occasionally when things are bad.

How do I deal with them.. here are my tips.

Put your hands on a flat surface... if there is a table or counter you can lean on, that's good. Sometimes putting your hands flat on a wall can help too. It's good to feel physically stable.
If you are scared you might pass out, sit down. They recommend putting your head between your legs in a sitting position... i'm a bit too "fleshy" and not flexible enough for that personally, so can't say if it helps or not because i've not tried it.

Affirmations. "It's ok". Usually I can't cope with any long-winded affirmation when i'm in the thick of it, but just telling yourself "It's ok... it's alright..." can be quite comforting. Remind yourself that it will pass.

Breathing. Proper big breaths.. like, imagine you're blowing up a balloon. I find puckering my lips like i'm blowing up a balloon helps too. You might look a pillock, but it is helpful.

When you start to feel a bit less wobbly, just take some small steps to get back in your body. Take it easy.
Go and get a glass of water.
If you're prescribed PRN meds, take one of those if they help and you're allowed to do that.

Have a bloody good cry about it too. It's ok.
michealstich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #31
Deleted User
Legendary Member

I take medication daily for my anxiety so I very rarely get major panic attacks anymore. But the best thing you can do is breathe. Don't just take deep breaths though, breathe as low and as deeply as you can. It's actually a common vocal exercise that I've found therapeutic. Breathe below your diaphragm (it's a muscle that sits below your lungs) almost into your stomach. Even lower if you can. (You're not actually taking in as much air as you want to think you are since your lungs have a limited capacity but the point is to try to use as much of that capacity as you can. Best way is to imagine breathing from lower parts of your body.) Hold for four beats. Release in four beats. Repeat. If you start yawning by the end of it, you're doing it right. It's a common side effect for people who aren't used to that exercise, lol.
Deleted User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 01:54 AM   #32
cvijetak
Banned

Name: ann

I take a deep breath and count to 10.
cvijetak is offline   Reply With Quote