Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old July 7th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #1
Caligari

Name: Tom
Question Anyone take benzodhiazepines/ tranquilizers

I was wondering I'd anyone takes benzodiazepine tranquilizers (Valium and Xanax are the most famous) for anxiety.
It seems that doctors don't want to prescribe them anymore because they can be addictive and are controlled substances, but for me it's the only thing that works.
Also doctors are prescribing less because some people's anxiety can be controlled with anti-depressants like: Prozac, Lexapro, zeffexor, etc.

For this post I'll follow the regular commercial name with the generic chemical name in parenthesis.
If you take a generic drug and it ends with the the suffix -zepam or -zolam than it's a benzo.
I take Klonopin (clonazepam) daily and Xanax (alprazolam) occaisonally if I feel extra anxiety or feel a panic attach going on.

The various benzos are: Valium (diazepam), Ativan (lorazepam), Klonopin (clonazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Librium (chlordiazepoxide) and Restoril (temazepam). But there are many more that are rarely used anymore.

In general what medication do you take for your anxiety, if you take anything at all.
Caligari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 11:30 AM   #2
ImCoolBeans
Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike
Default Re: Anyone take benzodhiazepines/ tranquilizers

Doctors don't like to prescribe them much anymore because for a long time they were so easy to get it was a joke, and many people abused that system. I am not taking anything for my anxiety, but I have considered going on meds.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #3
Rayquaza
Sky High Pokmon

I think it would be better for you to consider long term psychological therapies. The effects of benzodiazepines are short term and cause addiction quite easily. What Mike said was true, not to mention that due to the effects of benzo's, people even try them recreationally. Although you may say they work, they also have other effects that you probably aren't noticing and it would be more worthwhile taking less and finding another route such as CBT then becoming addicted to a drug. Not to mention the increasing risk of developing depressive symptoms from benzo's. I don't take any because I don't have anxiety but I study anxiety and if I see people considering taking certain drugs such as benzo's, I'd ask them to strongly reconsider. If you find it's the only route for you then be careful with them, please.
Rayquaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 01:38 PM   #4
Caligari

Name: Tom

I've been taking these pills for a few years now so I'm already dependent it's too late to come off them easily, I'd to taper slowly and I don't want to do that because they're working.
I see my psychiatrist every week and we work on my issues (via CBT) and things of gotten a lot better, I don't see any alternative my medication I think it really is the only route for me combined with therapy.
But I really appreciate your concern it's nice to know that there are people who care.
Please don't worry about me.

I must point out that there's a difference between addiction and dependence.
Dependence means that my body is gotten used to the drugs so I can't just stop suddenly.
Addiction would have meant that I'm taking them to get high and I'm using more and more all the time and my doses been stable for years so that's not the case.
I haven't noticed any side effects they just make me feel normal.

Last edited by Caligari; July 19th, 2014 at 01:44 PM.
Caligari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 12:35 AM   #5
slopestyle
Junior Member+

I take lorazepam to help control mine as it's been really bad the last couple years, I could go into why but that's more personal and family related. I actually never realized it was anxiety until a year ago when I had the worst panic attack of my life and nobody was around so I drove myself to the er and that's when I was first prescribed benzos. My family doctor honestly had a fit and didn't agree with the ER doctors recommendation of them but he let me have a go with them and since I continually took half the recommended dose and slowly got to where I didn't need it every day, he agreed to keep me on it. I recognize the triggers of my worst anxiety and do my best to avoid them, but honestly the worst panic attacks hit me for absolutely no reason at all when there's literally nothing that could possibly cause them. I typically just remind myself to stop freaking out and that it'll pass,but occasionally I do need to take 1/2 a pill maybe a whole to mellow me out. I wouldn't say it's a mental crutch knowing I have it, if it was I would use that shit every single day not once a week if that. Then again there's weeks when I take it 3-4 times and then I can go weeks on end without needing medication to control it.

Do I want to rely on them forever? Nope! Do I currently? Well when I need it, yes. But I don't abuse what I'm given. I used to carry one with me when I first started so if I felt the inset I could pop it. Now I purposely leave them at home so I know I can't rely on them and work myself out of it. Good friends always help talk me out of it if it hits when I'm around them. Bottom line I'm completely and utterly 100% ok with using them, panic attacks are the absolute worst and have driven me to the ER twice because I felt like I legit was dying and I don't wish that feeling on anybody, ever ever ever.
slopestyle is offline   Reply With Quote