Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old January 11th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #1
thesphinx
Awesome Poster

thesphinx's Forum Picture

Question Monk

Is anyone with ocd offended by the TV show "Monk" the guy who has ocd?
just wondering.
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #2
mRojas2000
Fake *A d m i n

mRojas2000's Forum Picture

Name: Miguel
Default Re: Monk

Just asking: Why anyone would get offended of it?? The show's really good and it pretty much shows that people with OCD is special in their way!! I remember a chapter where for some reason he just stops being like he normally is, and he starts being a crappy investigator and stuff...
I don't have OCD, but if I had, I don't think I would be *offended* by it... actually, I would be honored that a popular show shows how OCD people really are

Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris.
Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

~Harrie's proud brother!~

VT Veteran
Old January 11th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #3
schrei jess
Awesome Poster

I dont think the show itself would be offensive to those with OCD, but the way some people might see it after they watch the show. I hear people making fun of that one commercial where Monk is counting his peas and putting them in lines a lot, well that sort of stuff does happen and it's not really funny, it's kind of sad. The fact that they try to make his OCD humerous could be offensive but not the fact that he has it.

I DO NOT GO ON HERE ANYMORE. I HAVE LEFT THIS PLACE FOR GOOD AND DON'T INTEND ON COMING BACK. PLEASE DON'T FRIEND REQUEST ME, PRIVATE MESSAGE ME, OR ANYTHING BECAUSE I WILL NEVER SEE IT AND YOU'LL NEVER GET A RESPONSE. THANK YOU.
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #4
thesphinx
Awesome Poster

thesphinx's Forum Picture

Thats what i mean like are you offended by the fact that its a comedy and people laugh at all the things he does.
Old January 12th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #5
Activate
Nice Poster

They kinda make it funny when the goofy music comes on
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #6
schrei jess
Awesome Poster

Well, I dont even have OCD, and Im kind of offended by how light they make his OCD seem. To people who dont know anything about, or only have limited knowledge, they may just see it as a quirk, something funny, rather than a serious disorder. Sure they sometimes show how rough it is on him, but they mostly just show him freaking out about dirty things, and him counting/touching, which people probably see as humorus.

I DO NOT GO ON HERE ANYMORE. I HAVE LEFT THIS PLACE FOR GOOD AND DON'T INTEND ON COMING BACK. PLEASE DON'T FRIEND REQUEST ME, PRIVATE MESSAGE ME, OR ANYTHING BECAUSE I WILL NEVER SEE IT AND YOU'LL NEVER GET A RESPONSE. THANK YOU.
Old January 12th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #7
Sapphire
Tears & Smiles

Sapphire's Forum Picture

I can see where you are coming from Weeping Willow. It does make light of it, but I think in a way you have to approach life with a sense of humour. I mean, if we didn't and looked at everything as if it is likely to offend then we'd miss out on things.

In psychology classes I, at first, found it difficult to hear my teacher talking about the "damaged" brain when referring to an "abnormal" brain. It bothered me to such an extent that I almost approached her to ask if she could think of something else to say instead of "damaged". But when I considered it and looked at myself, it hit me that I was taking it all too seriously and just how petty I was being.

If everyone with OCD looked at Monk and took it all seriously and to heart then I could see them being outraged. But it is clear that it is not meant to offend and it possibly is, to a certain extent, raising a bit of awareness.

~ The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step ~

* Nothing in the world has ever been accomplished without passion *
Old January 24th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #8
tomkapsalis
Junior Member+

Finding a program that isnt offensive is hard now days. I am sure people learn to live with it.
Tom
Old March 29th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #9
Antares
Legendary Member+Mod

Antares's Forum Picture

i definatly dont feel offended in anyway because it gives people insight to what we go through
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #10
Link3737

i think if you dont have ocd stop replying PLZ! you have NO idea how embarassing it can be or how many ppl whisper about you behind your back or even compare you to "that one monk guy" that they saw on tv last night or w/e. I've learned to live with my ocd without meds but i still have a slip up every now and then and trust me, ppl make all sorts of jokes about it.
Old April 8th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #11
Antares
Legendary Member+Mod

Antares's Forum Picture

well anyways i dont think that you should restrict people from posting on here. sry but you are NOT a mod. also i have ocd and as i have said before i have NO PROBLEM with monk. now i know that my situation is different from yours but i dont think that you should come off like that
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #12
JunkBondTrader
Awesome Poster

JunkBondTrader's Forum Picture

Name: Felix

I have OCD (although it has actually got much better over the past couple of years) and I was not offended by the show but, then again, I'm quite hard to offend and many people might have a different view of things.

But I would be offended if people were laughing at his problem. It may seem funny to people but it can be tedious and irritating when you're inclined to do things like that obsessively.

It's me, Felix.
Name changes annoy everyone, I know.
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #13
foof1
Member+

foof1's Forum Picture

i have ocd and im not offended
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #14
thatsgranderful

I'm not really offended by it, I dont really think they show it in the best way...but its a tv show so what do you expect?

On a side note...I think Scrubs dealt with OCD the best (with Dr. Casey), even though it was only for 2 episodes I think they did the best with showing how difficult it is living with OCD and yet how people can still succeed
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #15
Serenity
Banned

Name: Valerie

Please don't bump old threads. Locked.
Closed Thread