Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 10th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #1
Hallie

Name: Hallie
Exclamation Literally CAN'T do work

So I have ADHD and I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I literally cannot do work. I also have bipolar disorder, just going to throw that out there in case that has more to do with this than ADHD. So ever since I was little I have adamantly despised doing anything that I'm not interested in. When I had math homework, I would cry every night and my dad would have to force me to do it now matter how much I screamed and fought. I would NOT have it. Also, when I was learning how to read I used to cry and get frustrated so easily it's almost laughable.
My entire life, doing anything I don't want to do has been a torturous struggle that never ends. It literally feels like I'm being stabbed a million times in the brain and I get bad headaches sometimes. I know with ADHD and all it's going to be harder for me than for the next person, but it shouldn't be this hard. It gets to the point where it makes me suicidal. I freeze up and I forget everything and I just can't think. I've just recently realized that this is not normal and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing or if there's a name for it or if you have some advice, because it is actually tearing me up inside and I don't know how much longer I can live like this. How do I force myself to do something when in that moment I'd rather die?
Thanks.

Last edited by Hallie; June 10th, 2014 at 08:19 PM.
Hallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 05:38 AM   #2
Microcosm
Awesome Poster

Microcosm's Forum Picture

Name: Dan
Default Re: Literally CAN'T do work

I have had the same problem in the past. I know what that feels like. What I suggest is to not think of it as forcing yourself to do something. Instead think of it passively like "Ok, I guess I have to do this. Might as well." Also, try listening to music while you do it or watching tv. Although most people consider that a bad idea when doing homework, it really helped me in the past in getting it done.
Microcosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:16 AM   #3
tbake98

Name: TJ

I haven't been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD, but I think I've got one of them, just based on my own experiences. Mine might be a little different, because I find it hard to sit and do something that I find interesting, because there are a number of things I'd like to do (all at once), and that's just not possible. What I do, in this case, is set a limit for how long I do something. If I'm writing/reading, I'll do it for about 30-minutes or so, unless I get focused on it. In that case, I'll keep going until something else catches my attention and move on.

As for homework, I don't agree that music/TV will help (especially with ADD). You run the risk of getting caught up in something you're listening to/watching, that you might forget about the task you were doing in the first place. But, that's not to say it doesn't work for some people: try it, it might do the trick. I would suggest setting a time-limit for things that you don't find interesting. That way, when you're doing it, you're don't get the feeling it's killing you to get through it. Just, for however long you allow yourself, focus on that task and see what comes out of it.

Long-winded, I know, but it's just my two cents. Hope you find some help!
tbake98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #4
Syvelocin
Ocean Soul

Syvelocin's Forum Picture

Name: Rith

Story of my life. Maybe slightly less intense. I'm bipolar as well, but haven't been diagnosed with ADHD (although I've finally gotten a psychiatrist appointment after four months of searching for someone who'd take me) but experience severe procrastination, focus issues and boredom, college-related depression, etc.

What has helped me is the "five-minute" rule. You promise yourself you'll only be doing something for five minutes, and after that you can quit if you want. Nine times out of ten for me, five minutes of essay-writing turns into two hours and I end up getting a good amount done. The only thing that seems to motivate me though is deadlines, and sometimes that's okay to take advantage of (I literally put things off until the morning they are due, but I'm insanely productive once I start on it).

I don't know about your particular case, I can only speak from experience. I think for me, it's a matter of getting in the habit of doing these things. Make a strict routine you stick to even on weekends and summer and it becomes second-nature. You can also reward yourself. Come up with some good, low-cost incentives that you can have if you finish whatever it is. Also, take frequent breaks, but make sure procrastination triggers are absent otherwise a five-minute break easily turns into an hour break.

And I'm sorry I didn't build your walls. And I'm sorry I had to go and fall.
And I'm sorry I had the whole thing wrong. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
And I'm sorry that you are feeling small. And I'm sorry that I'm not used to crawling.
And I'm sorry the writing's on the wall. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
Syvelocin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 03:06 AM   #5
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Name: Ren Hek

I have both bipolar disorder and ADHD as well, and I know exactly how you're feeling. I probably won't graduate on time, and it's eating me up inside. I'd LOVE to just fucking buckle down and do my schoolwork, but I can't. I can't focus. I can't bring myself to understand it enough to move on to the next thing. I get extreme panic attacks and 'meltdowns' as a result of this, and I just abandon any attempt to do schoolwork at all most of the time.

I feel that this is certainly ADHD related, but bipolar disorder probably makes the emotional aspect more intense- and the depressive part probably makes it harder to focus as well.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Karkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #6
nascar_alex

nascar_alex's Forum Picture

Name: Alex

I find music to help not tv because I end up watching tv instead of working. Go to the doctor and get medication like I do
nascar_alex is offline   Reply With Quote