Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 17th, 2014, 09:14 AM   #1
Hallie

Name: Hallie
Default pros and cons of medication?

So I know that I have bipolar disorder and currently my psych has me on medication for it but I've heard some things about medication for bipolar disorder that are less than comforting and I would like to try other coping techniques and see if it's enough without medication. I have bipolar spectrum disorder and my psych basically told me I get major depressive episodes that are as bad as people who have bipolar I, but my manic episodes are not as bad and happen less frequently. I go into hypomania more often than mania. I was wondering if I really do need to go on medication or if there are alternatives. What are the pros and cons of medication and if i shouldn't go on medication than how should I go about treatment?
Hallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #2
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Name: Ren Hek
Default Re: pros and cons of medication?

Honestly, if it's only hypomania, it depends on how bad your depressive episodes are, as in how bad they affect you personally. If you're feeling suicidal, or they leave you unable to function in day-to-day life, you might need medication, but alongside therapy. Therapy, along with a good schedule/etc. is really the only alternative to medication, and it's something you should be looking into anyways.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Karkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #3
Benjie95

Name: Ben

I'm on Olanzapine and Escitalopram which are both working really well. I think taking medication is fine as they really do work when you find the ones that work for you. I don't know many alternatives to meds but counselling is good.
Benjie95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 12:17 PM   #4
TheN3rdyOutcast
Awesome Poster

Name: Willis

Honestly, if you're feeling horrible, then you peobably need it. I take Zoloft and coupled with therapy and some new coping mechanisms, I can keep my mood stable for the most part.
TheN3rdyOutcast is offline   Reply With Quote