Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old March 14th, 2007, 05:07 AM   #1

Default How do I tell my parents?

Can someone please help me?
I have OCD but I'm keeping it a secret from my parents and i'm too scared to tell them.
Can anyone please tell me a way to tell them.
I'm scared that they might not believe me or they'll think i'm weird because they watch shows like Monk.
Please help, i'm desperate and i've been keeping it a secret for years.
Thank you.
AvatarAang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #2
Link3737

Default Re: How do I tell my parents?

well there really is no right way to tell ur parents something like that...my parents actually told ME when i was like 7 because i kept going psycho and freaking out when i made repeated lists of times whenever i would think about it and kept telling my bro's i couldnt play with them because i had to keep writing my list. my parents treated me like a freak up until recently and now i feel like i cant tell them anything
Link3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #3
Everglow
Awesome Poster

Everglow's Forum Picture

just tell them. there's no wrong in doing so. they will not think anything less of you. in their eyes, you are a miracle and a beautiful human being. they will love you for who you are. don't be afraid of them. sometimes your parents may seem like your worst enemies, but in reality they are your best friends. trust me, i know...majority of parents love their children very, very much and they want a special realtionship with their kids...i became so distant from my parents a while back...and have only recently begun to realize that they care about me...even if i think they do not.

Everglow Has Left this place for a while...or for good. Time will tell.
It was a beautiful letdown
I was trying so hard to fit in
Fit in, until I found out...
I don't belong here
Everglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #4
-Silence
...La De Dah!

-Silence's Forum Picture

Name: Heather, Duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarAang View Post
Can someone please help me?
I have OCD but I'm keeping it a secret from my parents and i'm too scared to tell them.
Can anyone please tell me a way to tell them.
I'm scared that they might not believe me or they'll think i'm weird because they watch shows like Monk.
Please help, i'm desperate and i've been keeping it a secret for years.
Thank you.
How do they not know? Were you diagnosed by an actual doctor? If so, they would know. If not, sit them down and tell them that you would like to get some kind of help. Explain to them what you do, how you have to do things. Let them know that you were worried to tell them 'cause you thought they might think less of you.

There's not really any 'easy' way to do it. Sorry.

“Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.”
-Calvin & Hobbes.
-Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:22 AM   #5

Ok, thank you.
I checked the symptoms and I have them.
I'm just scared that they won't believe me.
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #6
-Silence
...La De Dah!

-Silence's Forum Picture

Name: Heather, Duh.

You might want to contact a doctor before you diagnose yourself. A doctor can see things in people that sometimes they can't see themselves. You might not have anything. Just get it checked out.

“Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.”
-Calvin & Hobbes.
-Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #7

Ok, thank you.
Old March 19th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #8

But ever since I was a kid I remember counting in even numbers and if something wasn't an even number I would feel uncomfortable and I stroke walls and light switches 4 times before turning them on. I have a list of other things that I do and if I don't then I feel extremely uncomfortable.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:16 PM   #9
MoveAlong
Legendary Member

Best thing is to get the facts. Tell them you might have it, but not really weird and ridiculous like Monk, and then ask if you can talk with a psycologist - not a psychiatrist!!! Those people prescribe you with medicines that might go horribly wrong.

A good psycologist can tell you whether or not you have it. If you do, just take some time to relax a little. Don't over-obsess... don't be like Monk, and don't make it almost life-threatening. That's just stupid.
MoveAlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:54 AM   #10

Ok, thank you.
Old March 24th, 2007, 02:50 AM   #11
kikicupkake
Junior Member+

kikicupkake's Forum Picture

man evryone is not perfict like you or me like you OCD and i have dislesa (i cant understand a lot of thing and it holds me back in grammer and in math)
for you, you need to have everthing in a plan like if you brush you teeth at
6:00 every day at the same time you'll do it at 6:00 every day. i know a lot about OCD becase my bro has really back OCD so i have a hard time with him but i have leaned a lot from him. but you should tell you ma and pa becase it's the right thing to do and they could help you with it. so on my side you should tell you parents.

Screw you George Bush and you Jim Kerry we dont need more old people to tell us what to do.....

<------this is my dad
kikicupkake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 02:58 AM   #12
kikicupkake
Junior Member+

kikicupkake's Forum Picture

i know how you feel i have very mild OCD so if some thing is not do the way it was yester day i will have a panick attack. the thing that scared me the most was whin i was in class and had one becase the teacher did some thing differant then what i do so i an attack and argude with her for a hour and got a detenon but man i think the way to tell your parents is to tell them this, " mom dad i think i have OCD and i would like to be tested please"and tell them why you think you have OCD.

Screw you George Bush and you Jim Kerry we dont need more old people to tell us what to do.....

<------this is my dad
kikicupkake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #13

Ok thank you.
Yeah, everyday I have to wake myself up at 6:00 AM and if I wake up 5 minutes later I freak out, even though school doens't start till 8:30 AM.
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #14
ForeverBlue
Junior Member+

ForeverBlue's Forum Picture

MoveAlong is semi-wrong, while a pychologist is good a psychiatrist is not bad either, they can help prescribe medications that help OCD semptoms. I have both and I find together they are the perfect thing to help me with my OCD and anorexia.

ForeverBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #15

Everything is ok now.
I told my parents that something is wrong with me and they took me to a doctor and he confirmed that I have OCD.
I'm now on medication and I feel a bit better now.
Thank you to everyone who helped me =).
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #16
Everglow
Awesome Poster

Everglow's Forum Picture

wow! that's great!! I know I really didn't help you much..or at all, but it's always exciting to read of people's successes. Ha! I only wish my parents did the same for me. I'm clinically depressed..but medication is a no go.

Everglow Has Left this place for a while...or for good. Time will tell.
It was a beautiful letdown
I was trying so hard to fit in
Fit in, until I found out...
I don't belong here
Everglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #17
SweetyPieGeri

SweetyPieGeri's Forum Picture

It was hard for me to tell mine. I read in a magazine about a girl that had OCD and i could relate to the things she done. That made me feel that i'm not right.

I was thinking of telling my mum but i could not. I was too embaressed. But i started crying eventually, then i told my mum everything and i felt better after that.

I thought i was just a normal person. I've had OCD since i was 3 and now i'm 14. I don't know life any different. I would tell your parents, it's not so bad after, you actually feel better.
SweetyPieGeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #18
foof1
Member+

foof1's Forum Picture

i have ocd and at the time i told my parent i didn't know what it was and my phycologist never diagnosed me with it even though i had been seeing her for a long time about my issues. well anyways my parents were very kind about my issues but didn't know it was ocd until a few months ago. they are still nice about it. i think what could help you a lot is telling your parents. they will support you and get you the help you need. ocd is no fun and i know that first hand so i think you should do everything you can to fight it and that starts with telling you parents.
foof1 is offline   Reply With Quote