Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old April 13th, 2014, 04:22 PM   #1
Zwxg

Name: Danny
Default How do you know?

How do you know if you have add? I know if you have adhd its pretty easy to tell if you have it but how can you tell if you have add? I researched it and I feel like I have all the symptoms but I feel like it could just be a normal thing

Danny
18 | Male | Seattle
Snowboarding & Xbox <3

PM me I like to make new friends
Zwxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 10:42 PM   #2
Feraligatr
Water Type

Feraligatr's Forum Picture

Default Re: How do you know?

Aren't ADD and ADHD the same thing? If you have one, you have the other.
Feraligatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 10:57 PM   #3
Bloo

Name: Blu

ADD and ADHD are not the same thing first of all, and honestly, they are more traits than and illness or disorder. I have been lucky enough to have both. I had ADHD but I grew out of it and was left with ADD. ADHD basically means your hyper, and can't stay focused, and alot of teenage guys have ADHD. ADD is really more just having an issue keeping focused. For me, I have ADD with a hint of ADHD, I have a really hard time just doing one thing. Ill sit down and stair at homework for hours before I actually do anything on the paper, I forget a lot also. I can remember things from when I was two, yet at the same time, I can't remember what I ate last night, or what I did today at school, that is common with people with ADHD and ADD. Honestly, the best way to figure out is to ask your pediatrician next time your have a doctors appointment, and he will ask you the right questions in order to figure out if you truly have ADHD/ADD. He will also be able to suggest the best treatment for it, sometimes it is nothing if you have a slight case of it, you can tie a ribbon across your finger and everytime you see it will remind you to stay focused, if its worse you may have to take some sort of medication (Though I strongly recommend asking if there is a different solution). If you do have a more severe case of ADHD/ADD you may want to tell your teachers and guidance councilor and they can help you stay focused in class. ADHD/ADD isn't necessarly a bad thing to have, many people with ADHD end up becoming very successful because their mind developes quickly because they are always thinking 1000 things at once, many many CEOs and Inventors have ADHD/ADD, so it isnt all bad.
Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:41 PM   #4
MercenaryMarksman
Banned

Name: Brian

You'll know if you read something and forget it quickly or stare into the blue while someone is talking to you or when given directions you space out because its irrelevant.

Believe me you'll figure out your handicaps soon, ADD is very tough.
MercenaryMarksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:51 PM   #5
backjruton
Awesome Poster

backjruton's Forum Picture

Name: JACK
Wink Re: How do you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian99 View Post
You'll know if you read something and forget it quickly or stare into the blue while someone is talking to you or when given directions you space out because its irrelevant.

Believe me you'll figure out your handicaps soon, ADD is very tough.
Well... I wouldn't be surprised if I had it too then, I'm still trying to figure out if my stupid habits are a part of autism/aspergers or if I have ADD/ADHD too and I don't really want to go through another 5 years of appointments with the psychiatrist to diagnose me with something I'll probably need meds for when with this I don't.

Quite often I go to the toilet then 2 minutes later I forget and end up going again. I keep posting things on here and the next day I don't remember what I posted ( I probably won't remember this tomorrow) and I very rarely listen to things other people tell me to do but I think that *might* be down to something else. I'm still trying to think if I have depression, it wouldn't surprise me if I do because I always feel happy yet ... drained kinda.

It's more complicated than what you say though. I don't really understand or remember the process too much, and I really don't understand why it took 5 years of 1 hour appointments to figure it all out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwxg View Post
How do you know if you have add? I know if you have adhd its pretty easy to tell if you have it but how can you tell if you have add? I researched it and I feel like I have all the symptoms but I feel like it could just be a normal thing
I guess you could try to take an online test if there is one (but make sure it looks more professional, I've seen some absolute shit online recently when looking up disabilities and sexuality) to get a better idea and if you're really concerned and think there's a big enough difference, talk to your parents and ask for more tests and other things. They only checked my social aspects and left quite a lot of other things I think, unless they got involved with my teachers and asked how I acted as I know they got into contact with the school but not how much. I would only go through anything if you're really sure because it can be boring and kinda draining being asked all these questions.

EDIT: It looks like they're both the same thing, as another website just confirmed to me...
Quote:
ADHD, also known as attention deficit disorder (ADD) or hyperkinetic disorder, has been around a lot longer than most people realize.
I just took this quiz (it's another for ADHD...) because I've been wondering this for a while but I don't know if it's valid because these things could just as simply be a part of what I've already been diagnosed with. Either way, this test gave me a score of 46 which is "Adult ADHD quite likely". This is exactly what it says:

Quote:
Based upon your responses to this adult ADD/ADHD screening quiz, you have replied in a way similar to people who have symptoms of moderate to severe attention deficit disorder. People who have answered similarly to you typically qualify for a diagnosis of ADHD or ADD, and have sought professional treatment for this mental health concern.

If you were diagnosed with ADHD, it would likely be of the Combined presentation, as you indicated significant symptoms of inattention and hyperactivity/impulsivity.

You indicated that several of the symptoms were present before age 12.
You indicated that the symptoms occur in two or more settings.
For ADD or ADHD to be diagnosed by a mental health professional, usually the symptoms must occur in at least two different settings (like school and home, or work and home), and they must have lasted at least 6 months. Symptoms typically worsen in situations that require sustained attention or mental effort, or that are boring.
You should not take this as a diagnosis of any sort, or a recommendation for treatment. However, it may be likely beneficial for you to seek further clarification about a possible diagnosis of ADHD or ADD from a physician or a trained mental health professional soon.
As I previously said, online tests don't work most of the time but they can also just help you clear your mind. But if ADD and ADHD are quite similar I don't think I would recommend going for a second diagnosis, which is partly why I won't although ASD and ADHD are a bit less similar than the other 2.

Last edited by backjruton; April 22nd, 2014 at 09:03 PM.
backjruton is offline   Reply With Quote