Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old April 15th, 2014, 12:34 AM   #21
DerBear
Retired H&A Mod

DerBear's Forum Picture

Name: Derri
Default Re: So I signed in and typed the longest thread ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aotearoa View Post
What I do (similar to what others have suggested) is after having typed out a thread or response I ctrl+a, ctrl+c, alt+s. If it posts, then great. If there's an error (i.e. what happened in this case), I reload the page etc, ctrl+v, and post again.

Sometimes just writing out what you're feeling is beneficial as it gets what you need to say out, to some extent. I hope you're somewhat relieved by that.
I often do this, especially if its a long thread but sometimes people will forget to do this.

What could be useful is an auto-save feature e.g. posts are saved every 20 seconds or something like that so if someone has typed a thread and an error happens or they are logged out then they still have most/some of the work they had previously.

Retired Help & Advice Mod

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to send me a PM.
DerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 05:38 AM   #22
xAlfredo

xAlfredo's Forum Picture

Name: Alfredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last of Us View Post
I often do this, especially if its a long thread but sometimes people will forget to do this.

What could be useful is an auto-save feature e.g. posts are saved every 20 seconds or something like that so if someone has typed a thread and an error happens or they are logged out then they still have most/some of the work they had previously.
I was going to suggest "auto save" or "message drafts" but there's a version for vB 3.8 but it's buggy.. not fully functional with all browsers. So I don't think that'd be the best alternative. Perhaps warning users of what the current time is that way they already know and it isn't VT's fault if they get logged out or adjusting the time to extend it so it doesn't happen would probably be the best approaches

15 | gay ♂♂
xAlfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 05:42 AM   #23
makyoch
Fucking Legend

makyoch's Forum Picture

Name: Y-Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAlfredo View Post
Perhaps warning users of what the current time is that way they already know and it isn't VT's fault if they get logged out or adjusting the time to extend it so it doesn't happen would probably be the best approaches
There's the 'You last visited' time (which I believe is the time of the most recent login) up in the top-right corner and the current time in the bottom-centre. Maybe putting the two together?

this is gonna hurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professional Russian
your stil a ducebag jagr
makyoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #24
xAlfredo

xAlfredo's Forum Picture

Name: Alfredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil.angel View Post
There's the 'You last visited' time (which I believe is the time of the most recent login) up in the top-right corner and the current time in the bottom-centre. Maybe putting the two together?
I didn't really mean that.. sorry if that was confusing! I meant the time before you're logged out (e.g. if it's 15 minutes, it'd be the current time + 15 min) which is when I'd be logged out. :p

15 | gay ♂♂
xAlfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #25
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Name: Ren Hek

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil.angel View Post
What I do (similar to what others have suggested) is after having typed out a thread or response I ctrl+a, ctrl+c, alt+s. If it posts, then great. If there's an error (i.e. what happened in this case), I reload the page etc, ctrl+v, and post again.

Sometimes just writing out what you're feeling is beneficial as it gets what you need to say out, to some extent. I hope you're somewhat relieved by that.
This is a great idea as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last of Us View Post

Only problem is GovTeen has that, and frankly, it doesn't work

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Karkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 09:26 AM   #26
DerBear
Retired H&A Mod

DerBear's Forum Picture

Name: Derri

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisenUpJanetWeiss View Post
This is a great idea as well.

Only problem is GovTeen has that, and frankly, it doesn't work
Well that could be down to a faulty mod. I use a forum called TheStudentRoom and that forum has this feature and works perfectly.

Retired Help & Advice Mod

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to send me a PM.
DerBear is offline   Reply With Quote