Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [2]

Old October 19th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #1
dantheman5000
Nice Poster

dantheman5000's Forum Picture

Name: Daniel
Default New idea about ADD?

So I was talking with my doctor about my ADD. Im at a school where I can be perscribed medicine for free. I have'nt been on anything like concerta since 8th grade (I graduated in 2010). So while we were speaking he asked me how i felt about my ADD and asked why i stopped taking the meds. I told him that my parents wanted me to stop using it as a crutch to lean on and not to use it as a excuse also that I felt i pretty much grew out of it. He then went on to tell me that no one can grow out off a mental disability and this was a disease. Instead we just learn how to adapt to our ADD as we grow older. This gave me a new outlook on my ADD and made me feel more confident in my abilities to adapt. But what do you think? Do we grow out of this or is it something we adapt to? Also is ADD/ADHD a disease?

DanthemMan is always there to help so just beckon my name and ill be there! or you can just pm me lmbo.

"Couldn't we just be quiet and eat chocolate together?" --Lindy Metz
dantheman5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 01:08 AM   #2
The Trendy Wolf
Nice Poster

The Trendy Wolf's Forum Picture

Name: Grant
Default Re: New idea about ADD?

Our bodies just seem to adapt to it as we grow older and develop a bit more. No, I wouldn't consider ADD/ADHD a disease because it is a mental disorder, and not to be defined as a disease, in my opinion.

Wolves

I try really hard not to be too full of myself
The Trendy Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Josef_
Junior Member+

Josef_'s Forum Picture

Name: Josef

You can control it if you try hard enough, but it is not a disease. Like Literate said, it's a mental illness. It isn't so severe that you cannot control it, you can! You'll have quite a few urges for outbursts though. (or so I've experienced)
Josef_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #4
The Trendy Wolf
Nice Poster

Unhappy Re: New idea about ADD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inori View Post
You can control it if you try hard enough, but it is not a disease. Like Literate said, it's a mental illness. It isn't so severe that you cannot control it, you can! You'll have quite a few urges for outbursts though. (or so I've experienced)
For me, including many others, it is nearly impossible to control my outbursts or rapid, spasm-like actions, especially if I'm not having a great day. Sometimes I just feel as if it is out of my control to be able to stop it by force of will. My mind is a blur and my body reacts instantaneously to what's going on around me, and I simply can't feel the urges coming before-hand. To me, my ADHD is like a hiccup, so if I'm in a controlled environment that is made to nurture my hyperactivity and not provide distractions, then perhaps it makes it easier for me, but I am still not reaching my full potential as a student when my medication wears off halfway through the day.

Test taking is one of the most difficult things that I experience trouble with. If students begin murmuring, then my mind directs it's attention to the new sound, and I'm unable to get my full focus back onto the text, even if I'm staring directly at the page. If outside noises continue, I'll start looking around the room with a glaring look on my face, and I get so stressed that I might begin grabbing my hair, covering my ears, and breathing heavily as I sit with my body slouched over and my head resting on my arm that's wrapped itself around my test so that I can look at nothing but the paper. I just get so paranoid and overwhelmed as everyone turns in their test while I'm the last one still taking it and with 5 minutes left in class.

It is extremely difficult to control, especially for those who have maxed out their medication dosages, like me:

70mg of Vyvanse + 10mg of Adderall in the morning

10mg of Adderall at lunch

10mg-30mg of Adderall in the afternoon

Wolves

Old December 20th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #5
Josef_
Junior Member+

Josef_'s Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Literate View Post
For me, including many others, it is nearly impossible to control my outbursts or rapid, spasm-like actions, especially if I'm not having a great day. Sometimes I just feel as if it is out of my control to be able to stop it by force of will. My mind is a blur and my body reacts instantaneously to what's going on around me, and I simply can't feel the urges coming before-hand. To me, my ADHD is like a hiccup, so if I'm in a controlled environment that is made to nurture my hyperactivity and not provide distractions, then perhaps it makes it easier for me, but I am still not reaching my full potential as a student when my medication wears off halfway through the day.

Test taking is one of the most difficult things that I experience trouble with. If students begin murmuring, then my mind directs it's attention to the new sound, and I'm unable to get my full focus back onto the text, even if I'm staring directly at the page. If outside noises continue, I'll start looking around the room with a glaring look on my face, and I get so stressed that I might begin grabbing my hair, covering my ears, and breathing heavily as I sit with my body slouched over and my head resting on my arm that's wrapped itself around my test so that I can look at nothing but the paper. I just get so paranoid and overwhelmed as everyone turns in their test while I'm the last one still taking it and with 5 minutes left in class.

It is extremely difficult to control, especially for those who have maxed out their medication dosages, like me:

70mg of Vyvanse + 10mg of Adderall in the morning

10mg of Adderall at lunch

10mg-30mg of Adderall in the afternoon
So these meds control your outbursts?

I see what you mean by it's like a hiccup. I really didn't imagine it that way. Rather I didn't even think of the outbursts and whatnot to be like that.

Hi, I'm Josef, and I'm here for all of you.
Feel free to VM me!
I know nothing about eating disorders so please don't come to me with questions, sorry.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/6cd424630094970b8b6824caf4ba0a36/tumblr_mfb9wzeHtZ1qe52v7o1_500.gif
Old December 20th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #6
The Trendy Wolf
Nice Poster

Quote:
So these meds control your outbursts?

I see what you mean by it's like a hiccup. I really didn't imagine it that way. Rather I didn't even think of the outbursts and whatnot to be like that.
When I take my meds I am much more able to focus on what I want to rather than my attention being drawn to whatever I hear or see. I don't make outbursts because I'm just much calmer and I act more introverted (which is my true personality type) than my hyperactive, insane, and emotional side of me when the meds wear off. It's like having two people inside of me and I can only access one of them at a time until I can take more medication.

Wolves

Old December 20th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #7
Josef_
Junior Member+

Josef_'s Forum Picture

Quote:
When I take my meds I am much more able to focus on what I want to rather than my attention being drawn to whatever I hear or see. I don't make outbursts because I'm just much calmer and I act more introverted (which is my true personality type) than my hyperactive, insane, and emotional side of me when the meds wear off. It's like having two people inside of me and I can only access one of them at a time until I can take more medication.
That's a harsh reality.

Feel free to VM me!
I know nothing about eating disorders so please don't come to me with questions, sorry.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/6cd424630094970b8b6824caf4ba0a36/tumblr_mfb9wzeHtZ1qe52v7o1_500.gif
Old December 20th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #8
The Trendy Wolf
Nice Poster

Quote:
That's a harsh reality.
I still manage to find the positives of it through the enormous list of disadvantages. You could look at an earlier thread that I made saying how I Love my ADHD, and such.

Wolves

Old December 20th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #9
Josef_
Junior Member+

Josef_'s Forum Picture

Quote:
I still manage to find the positives of it through the enormous list of disadvantages. You could look at an earlier thread that I made saying how I Love my ADHD, and such.
Okay; I'll look for it now.

Feel free to VM me!