Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old September 7th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #21
Poisonberry

Poisonberry's Forum Picture

Name: Madison
Default Re: bringing me down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman437 View Post
I understand, but a college degree is the best thing to be financially independent, because in this economy, only the smartest get to be financially independent(and with a good salary). When I said I wanted to be financially independent, I also implied that I wanted to make good cash, because the higher the education, the higher and better the job opportunities...
Oh... so you want to be rich and that seems hard to do. Got it. Good luck.
Poisonberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #22
Jman437

Jman437's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisonberry View Post
Oh... so you want to be rich and that seems hard to do. Got it. Good luck.
I didn't say I wanted to be rich. I said I wanted to make enough cash to live a comfortable life. There is a fine line between being rich and financially comfortable. I want to live a life where paying taxes is the least of my concerns, financially speaking, and without a college degree it's the most impossible thing because I'm not a genetically mutated genius, and contrary to popular belief, only the genetically mutated genius can do it without a college degree.
Jman437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 04:12 AM   #23
Poisonberry

Quote:
I didn't say I wanted to be rich. I said I wanted to make enough cash to live a comfortable life. There is a fine line between being rich and financially comfortable. I want to live a life where paying taxes is the least of my concerns, financially speaking, and without a college degree it's the most impossible thing because I'm not a genetically mutated genius, and contrary to popular belief, only the genetically mutated genius can do it without a college degree.
The way the economy is now there is no safe bet. You want to get a computer science degree? What's that going to do for you exactly? Are you planning to move to where all the outsourcing is going? If being "well off" (sorry, "rich" isn't a dirty word to me) is your goal then you need to pick something that can't be outsourced and isn't going away. Think of all those poor journalism majors that can't get work because newspapers are going away. Who knew that was going to happen 20 years ago?

I think we all want to be financially comfortable, but saying you're going to kill yourself if you can't see how you're going to do that right now is just beyond ridiculous. Frankly it makes you sound awfully spoiled and maybe doing some time on the lower end of the economic spectrum would give you some insight into how good is really good enough.

If you think the computer science thing is going to be too difficult or if you've seen the genius insight of what I've said about outsourcing, then pick something else that you love to do. You'll work twice as hard if you enjoy it and success is sure to follow.

Now, for full disclosure, I come from a well off family and I do plan to be rich. Not "paying taxes is the least of my concern" rich, "filthy, stinking, I pay someone to worry about my taxes" rich. I'm not embarrassed to say it, and I'm not going to threaten suicide if it doesn't look like it will be easily attainable. I have my plan and I'm working it.
Old September 10th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #24
Jman437

Jman437's Forum Picture

I just don't know what to do, okay?
Look, computer science is all I want, and it has a high employment rate, I will always be employed with this course, but I just don't feel capable of doing it with all these people telling me it's too hard and that I can't do it...That's why I feel like killing myself...
I admit I'm a pussy and I will always be, I'm a fearful, neurotic, anxious freak, I know I am...
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #25
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Stronk Serb's Forum Picture

Quote:
I don't know if I can make it, I mean, I tried learning programming at codecademy(a website), but I feel like I may have a learning disability because I can't solve a Javascript problem about a "rock, paper, scissors", and, for what I heard, it is the easiest thing in programming...

I may as well kill myself, I mean, I won't have a future if I don't make it through college... I'll be a cashier, earning 500 euros a month, still living at my parents house...
I studied the basics of C++. I couldn't code a program the way they told me to, so I coded it another way. If there is no other way, do trial and error. My dad is doing web-design, and when something doesn't work, he fixes it. Even the most experienced programers make mistakes. In the initial release of a video game, it's mostly full of errors and bugs, the developers find those errors, and patch them up. The way I learned C++ was through trial and error.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
"Democracy is a dictatorship of the fools"
-Friedrich von Schiller (1759 1805)
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #26
Mynick
Awesome Poster

Mynick's Forum Picture

Name: Eduardo

The beuty about coding is that everyone has its own style. Instead of starting with Java, why don't you start wyth Python? The sintax is a lot easier plus you learn the basics of coding. Then you only need to learn other languages sintax.

We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?
Mynick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #27
Luminous
Legendary Member

Luminous's Forum Picture

True, it's not for everyone and I'm sure it is difficult. Much of what these people say is true for themselves because they don't work hard enough at it. If you push to do your best and be your best, then you will be your best, and will excel at whatever subject you choose to go with.

val
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #28
Poisonberry

Quote:
I just don't know what to do, okay?
Look, computer science is all I want, and it has a high employment rate, I will always be employed with this course, but I just don't feel capable of doing it with all these people telling me it's too hard and that I can't do it...That's why I feel like killing myself...
I admit I'm a pussy and I will always be, I'm a fearful, neurotic, anxious freak, I know I am...
I don't know what you should do, but from what I've heard at the upper ends there isn't that much work, I don't know about entry level. The problem is computer stuff can be done from anywhere so companies hire where it's cheap. Do you like Indian food? I hear the jobs are plentiful in Bangladesh.

I really think you should find what makes you happy and do that, if you're good at it, the money will follow. If not, at least you'll enjoy what you're doing.
Old September 14th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #29
Jman437

Jman437's Forum Picture

I was thinking about a Scandinavian country or the UK, but I'll have time to decide until the end of my course. Here in Portugal things aren't good when it comes to jobs so my choices are mostly international. I have an extreme fear of failing at life, and college isn't something you should fail at, I mean, the future depends on it...
Old September 14th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #30
Poisonberry

Quote:
I was thinking about a Scandinavian country or the UK, but I'll have time to decide until the end of my course. Here in Portugal things aren't good when it comes to jobs so my choices are mostly international. I have an extreme fear of failing at life, and college isn't something you should fail at, I mean, the future depends on it...
Don't tell Bill Gates.
Old September 15th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #31
Jman437

Jman437's Forum Picture

Quote:
Don't tell Bill Gates.
... Unless you're a genetically mutated genius like him :b
Old September 15th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #32
Poisonberry

Quote:
... Unless you're a genetically mutated genius like him :b
He's not a genius, he's bright I'm sure, but more than that he took a chance and he got lucky. You realize of course that for every Bill Gates or Steve Jobs or whoever made it fantastically big many, many others tried and didn't, right?

You seem to have this mindset that if you can find the right magic formula you'll be ok. Sadly, that's not how it works. If something revolutionary comes along at the right time Microsoft will go tumbling down. No one is safe, ever.

So, knowing that (I hope), how are you going to live your life? Afraid of what might happen, or boldly try to make your mark?

I know what I'm going to do.
Old September 17th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #33
Jman437

Jman437's Forum Picture

Quote:
He's not a genius, he's bright I'm sure, but more than that he took a chance and he got lucky. You realize of course that for every Bill Gates or Steve Jobs or whoever made it fantastically big many, many others tried and didn't, right?

You seem to have this mindset that if you can find the right magic formula you'll be ok. Sadly, that's not how it works. If something revolutionary comes along at the right time Microsoft will go tumbling down. No one is safe, ever.

So, knowing that (I hope), how are you going to live your life? Afraid of what might happen, or boldly try to make your mark?

I know what I'm going to do.
Yeah, it's complicated, because I want to make my mark, but I'm afraid of what might come...