Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old May 10th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #1
nicknack100

nicknack100's Forum Picture

Name: Nick
Default Am I ADD?

I haven't been diagnosed but I've been told by many ADD friends that I probably am.
I find it extremely difficult to stay still e.g. I'll always have like a leg shaking or a hand tapping.
I can't stop talking...like literally, if I start talking I'll just blurt out my whole life story then I feel bad in the end cos I didn't let the other person talk (Which also makes for my lack of friends)
I do find it difficult to pay attention a lot of the time, like if I'm reading a book I can't do a sitting of more than like let's say 10 minutes unless it's a SUPER good book, ironic because I do very well in school but I always tend to start talking to the person next to me instead of listening to the teacher...

17~M~New Zealand~Straight
100 posts on 11 may 2013
150 posts 14 may 2013

Message me
Old May 10th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #2
Feraligatr
Water Type

Feraligatr's Forum Picture

Default Re: Am I ADD?

You most likely are ADD. That doesn't matter though. I also have ADD and I'm slowly growing out of it.
Old May 10th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Rayquaza
Sky High Pokmon

I don't think you have ADD. I think you may have Autism.

I wrote a sticky about it here, have a read and see if you match any of the criteria.

Autism shows a lot of signs that ADD show, however you're able to stay intrigued in a good book, and a lot of people with ADD are not able to go that far. You also mentioned in another thread you had social anxiety. This is more common to autism, as well as the hand tapping and leg shaking. Many autistic children do lose interest in things quickly, which can explain why you do not pay attention in class. It is also common for autistic children to go off topic and talk about things irrelevant and inappropriate for the conversation, shown here by you talking about your life. I'd recommend talking to your parents and seeing what they think, as well on actions that you perform that you aren't aware of and do subconsciously. Ask them to give you an assessment for a diagnosis as it sounds more likely to be autism than ADD.
Old May 10th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #4
nicknack100

nicknack100's Forum Picture

Name: Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayquaza View Post
I don't think you have ADD. I think you may have Autism.

I wrote a sticky about it here, have a read and see if you match any of the criteria.

Autism shows a lot of signs that ADD show, however you're able to stay intrigued in a good book, and a lot of people with ADD are not able to go that far. You also mentioned in another thread you had social anxiety. This is more common to autism, as well as the hand tapping and leg shaking. Many autistic children do lose interest in things quickly, which can explain why you do not pay attention in class. It is also common for autistic children to go off topic and talk about things irrelevant and inappropriate for the conversation, shown here by you talking about your life. I'd recommend talking to your parents and seeing what they think, as well on actions that you perform that you aren't aware of and do subconsciously. Ask them to give you an assessment for a diagnosis as it sounds more likely to be autism than ADD.
Been tested for autism several times due to mothers' worry, definitely don't have it, but tyvm for the reply

17~M~New Zealand~Straight
100 posts on 11 may 2013
150 posts 14 may 2013

Message me
Old May 17th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #5
TheUselessAndUnwantd

TheUselessAndUnwantd's Forum Picture

Name: Brandon

It does sound allot like you have ADD or ADHD, or quite possibly even aspergers syndrome which is what i have paired with ADD. I too have a tendency to not be able to sit still or focus for periods of time longer then it takes to cook popcorn lol. as a-matter-a-fact im in an inschool suspension room atm and im finding it extremely hard to focus and not get up and throw in the towel so i know im having an ADD moment. other times like last weekend i will have a day where im just right out straight and cant stop talking. that right there will tell me im having a day. i think if you talk to your school professional such as a guidance counselor or even a special education teacher in your school who might give your parents a call and help point them in the right direction so they can take the right steps to help you so you can succeed in school. i know without the right help it can be hard to function and be successful in school. good luck man
Old May 28th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #6
Fdmember

Name: Joe

yeah i have it soooo probably
Old June 4th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #7
NotShortButFunsized
Member++

NotShortButFunsized's Forum Picture

Name: Chelsea

i have it and that sounds like what i do, so id say yes, but obviously its something your doctor has to take a looc at and decide from a professional medical standpoint. they give a survey to your parents and all your teachers to get an idea of how you behave at home and in class and stuff, and then decide from there
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #8
Pseudogeek

Pseudogeek's Forum Picture

Name: aj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknack100 View Post
I haven't been diagnosed but I've been told by many ADD friends that I probably am.
I find it extremely difficult to stay still e.g. I'll always have like a leg shaking or a hand tapping.
I can't stop talking...like literally, if I start talking I'll just blurt out my whole life story then I feel bad in the end cos I didn't let the other person talk (Which also makes for my lack of friends)
I do find it difficult to pay attention a lot of the time, like if I'm reading a book I can't do a sitting of more than like let's say 10 minutes unless it's a SUPER good book, ironic because I do very well in school but I always tend to start talking to the person next to me instead of listening to the teacher...
You just described me. In order to get through more than a chapter of a book, I had to be dip dyeing my hair because that made it so I couldn't go anywhere while reading.

Meeting you was like catching my eye on barbed wire, it was painful, let's not do it again.
I'd be a true geek if I could focus for long enough, as for now I'm a mere pseudogeek
14|straight|Tinytown, USA|
Christian
Tumblr
I can finally send PMs!
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #9
Lost in the Echo
mofo

Lost in the Echo's Forum Picture

Name: Bo

Please don't post in threads that have been inactive for over 2 months.
Closed Thread