Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Notices

Old June 20th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #1
JRwulf64

JRwulf64's Forum Picture

Name: Joey
Default School Experiences

Hi, i just feel like i should share my school experience, even though its not over yet, i'm sure plenty of people can relate the things iv'e gone through as i'm sure many people have had similar experiences. (I'm sorry about the length, i started writing and just went in on it haha)

I was diagnosed back in 7th grade (way too late in the game in my opinion). I've had a 504 plan ever since, however it has been something of a work-in-progress until this past year (11th grade). I also have chronic migraines and have had them since i was 2 years old and they are 100% debilitating. I've grown immune to most medications including Motrin, ibuprofen and aleve. My academics suffer have greatly suffered as a result and i hear nothing but how much potential i have and i just need to work harder. My test scores are well above average, the problem is i just don't have the ability to do projects or homework on time and to the best of my ability. When i took the SAT i received extended time for my ADHD. I completed the test in allotted 6 hours, but towards the end got a migraine from the stress and anxiety about failing. I received an overall score of 1660 which i know i can do better. My cumulative high school GPA is a pathetic 1.2 on a 4 point scale. I go to a prep school, so day by day i hear nothing but college college college and your never going to go anywhere in life if you don't go to college. Each and every year i pass my classes by the seat of my pants with D's and C's. Every day at school i'm viewed as a failure. I can see the look in my teachers eyes when they finally give up on me, when they think i just don't want to be in school and i should just drop out. The reality is quite the opposite. I want nothing but to be there. I want to go to school, i want to learn. I love my school and i love what it stands for. ADHD is viewed as an excuse rather than a legitimate learning disability. Some doctors slap the label of ADHD on kids when they cant explain the behavior or problem; However there are those of us who legitimately have ADHD, a learning disability, but continue to be labeled as lazy and don't get the help or understanding we need or even deserve. It especially bothers me that i don't get any of this at my school because my principal himself has ADHD. As do all 3 of his sons, one having just graduated. He has seen them struggle, and believe me they still are struggling with ADHD, but continues to stand by his belief that you should just try harder as he did when he was in school. He never used medication to treat his ADHD, but managed to go on to college and get his D.Ed from Brown University. He doesn't seem to understand that ADHD affects everyone very differently and not everyone is the same. My only hope is that one day he understands the daily struggle school is for those of us that have ADHD. In the mean time i'm hoping that my 504 plan will carry me through my senior year with decent enough grades to consider college as a possibility.

17 - C/O 2014
Love Lacrosse With All My Heart
JRwulf64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #2
drew6
Member++

Name: Drew
Default Re: School Experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRwulf64 View Post
Hi, i just feel like i should share my school experience, even though its not over yet, i'm sure plenty of people can relate the things iv'e gone through as i'm sure many people have had similar experiences. (I'm sorry about the length, i started writing and just went in on it haha)

I was diagnosed back in 7th grade (way too late in the game in my opinion). I've had a 504 plan ever since, however it has been something of a work-in-progress until this past year (11th grade). I also have chronic migraines and have had them since i was 2 years old and they are 100% debilitating. I've grown immune to most medications including Motrin, ibuprofen and aleve. My academics suffer have greatly suffered as a result and i hear nothing but how much potential i have and i just need to work harder. My test scores are well above average, the problem is i just don't have the ability to do projects or homework on time and to the best of my ability. When i took the SAT i received extended time for my ADHD. I completed the test in allotted 6 hours, but towards the end got a migraine from the stress and anxiety about failing. I received an overall score of 1660 which i know i can do better. My cumulative high school GPA is a pathetic 1.2 on a 4 point scale. I go to a prep school, so day by day i hear nothing but college college college and your never going to go anywhere in life if you don't go to college. Each and every year i pass my classes by the seat of my pants with D's and C's. Every day at school i'm viewed as a failure. I can see the look in my teachers eyes when they finally give up on me, when they think i just don't want to be in school and i should just drop out. The reality is quite the opposite. I want nothing but to be there. I want to go to school, i want to learn. I love my school and i love what it stands for. ADHD is viewed as an excuse rather than a legitimate learning disability. Some doctors slap the label of ADHD on kids when they cant explain the behavior or problem; However there are those of us who legitimately have ADHD, a learning disability, but continue to be labeled as lazy and don't get the help or understanding we need or even deserve. It especially bothers me that i don't get any of this at my school because my principal himself has ADHD. As do all 3 of his sons, one having just graduated. He has seen them struggle, and believe me they still are struggling with ADHD, but continues to stand by his belief that you should just try harder as he did when he was in school. He never used medication to treat his ADHD, but managed to go on to college and get his D.Ed from Brown University. He doesn't seem to understand that ADHD affects everyone very differently and not everyone is the same. My only hope is that one day he understands the daily struggle school is for those of us that have ADHD. In the mean time i'm hoping that my 504 plan will carry me through my senior year with decent enough grades to consider college as a possibility.
Right off the bat I know I'm gonna have to come back and edit this, but I just wanna throw this out there ASAP: Reading this made me sad. It really did. I don't have ADD or ADHD, but school isn't that fun to begin with and for you, I'm so impressed with your attitude that you want to be there anyway even if it's a massive struggle.

More in a while or I'll PM ya.

drew6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 06:35 AM   #3
pvanhouten

pvanhouten's Forum Picture

Name: Peter

I have nothing to bad and I've never been diagnosed but I went online and I felt like it defined what I do... At school sometimes I randomly stand up b/c my body is like stop sitting let's walk around a bit and the other kids in class are like what are you doing and I'm just like "I don't know"...

Here to talk to about everything. PM me if you can.
pvanhouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 03:00 PM   #4
TheLivingSoul

Name: James

I have minor ADHD, MDD, minor Bi-Polarity, Social Anxiety, ODD, and a few other things I don't remember at this moment.

School kinda sucks. Kids try to point and make fun because I'm really skittish around new people. Being the pretty big nerd I am, that doesn't help very much.

I've gotten good at avoiding most people, and I really don't do well in crowds. The people that still do try to make fun of me generally don't bother me. But after summer's over I'll be in a new school surrounded by new people, and have to start all over again. Really not looking forward to it...
TheLivingSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 08:37 AM   #5
Hullo I'm Sara
Junior Member+

Hullo I'm Sara's Forum Picture

Name: Sara

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingSoul View Post
I have minor ADHD, MDD, minor Bi-Polarity, Social Anxiety, ODD, and a few other things I don't remember at this moment.

School kinda sucks. Kids try to point and make fun because I'm really skittish around new people. Being the pretty big nerd I am, that doesn't help very much.

I've gotten good at avoiding most people, and I really don't do well in crowds. The people that still do try to make fun of me generally don't bother me. But after summer's over I'll be in a new school surrounded by new people, and have to start all over again. Really not looking forward to it...
Same here. I hear you.

Hi! Always somewhere on the great world of the internet, so find me on skype if you want anything. Bye.
Hullo I'm Sara is offline   Reply With Quote