Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 15th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #1
xHelpMe

Default I need help with my OCD...

I have OCD. I don't have normal OCD with the cleanliness issues, mine is the compulsion to cough after other people cough. If I don't do this, I feel like I'm going to explode and get headaches.

Somehow, I've gotten this under control at school and I don't do it anymore there. However, I still do it at home after my mother. I hate annoying her like that but I can't stop it and she doesn't know it's OCD. I don't want to tell her but I feel like I have to. How should I do this?

Secondly, I've had this for a few years now and I only just recently got it under control at school. Now, everyone hates me and I have no friends even though I've stopped it. I fear I am getting depressed. How do I get my friends and my life back?

Thank-you.
xHelpMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #2
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!
Default Re: I need help with my OCD...

Only a doctor can diagnose OCD. Eventhough you might feel you have the symptoms, what's actually causing it can be very different. Think of it this way, a sneeze can be caused by a cold, an allergy, or cancer. Same symptom, different cause. The only way to tell is to have a thorough exam by an MD.

I'd suggest you tell your mom that you're having a problem with this and have her take you to at least the pediatrician for an exam, see wht's going on. If he or she feels there's a need for a referral to a therapist, that will happen. If not, you might just try to control the urge to cough yourself and see what happens.
IAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 04:56 AM   #3
Sapphire
Tears & Smiles

Sapphire's Forum Picture

Default Re: I need help with my OCD...

If this is the only OCD symptom you exhibit then you don't have OCD.
Get checked out by a doc and find out once and for all.

~ The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step ~

* Nothing in the world has ever been accomplished without passion *
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote