Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old October 24th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Human
VT Lover

Human's Forum Picture

Default ADD? How to diagnose?

Hi everyone, for a long time I've personally thought that I have had some kind of mental 'illness' such as ADD or ADHD. At the moment I have dyscalculia which is like Dyslexia but only for maths, it affects my concentration too.
I'm pretty sure I'm hyperactive, sometimes I feel like just shouting random stuff if you know what I mean, and sometimes I really want to just start jumping around.
I've also heard that a symptom of something (pretty sure it was ADD) was moving legs, kind of like restless leg syndrome. Whenever I sit down I basically smash my legs together and swing them like the large hadron collider. It's like an impulse I can't control, I just have to swing and move my legs. I also can't stand still and I always have to walk around in circles.
I'm pretty sure I have some kind of OCD too. Sometimes I try to tense one leg and match it by touching my two canine teeth on the same side as the leg together, or make patterns with words in my head and try to make sure that I can make sentences in which the amount of letters and punctuation can be divided by two
Sometimes I feel like someone has put cameras and are watching me, I'm slightly paranoid sometimes.
any thoughts?
Old October 24th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Desuetude
---

Desuetude's Forum Picture

Name: Isaac
Default Re: ADD? How to diagnose?

I don't know much about ADD/ADHD but I suggest if you feel strongly about this you go and see your doctor for a diagnosis. None of us can diagnose you and we're unlikely to be much good for things like this. If you haven't already then I suggest you read through this thread and maybe look up on google how to diagnose it so you get a better idea of what has to be involved for it to be considered ADD/ADHD.

Restless leg syndrome can be a symptom of lots of things actually. I have it and I'm anemic, it's a very common symptom. Also, it's not really a "smashing legs together" type thing. It's more a limb jerking movement that usually occurs when you're resting and relaxed so intensifys at night. My whole life I have constantly shaken my leg in class when I'm sitting, working. I know a lot of people that do it though so it's very common and I think it's just a habit more than anything, I'm not sure it can count as RLS.

If you want to get good advice I suggest you go and see your GP and have a talk with him/her about the symptoms you're experiencing and what they might be. They'll have a lot better advice that should bring things up to speed for you.
Old October 24th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #3
StoppingTime
Retired Administrator

StoppingTime's Forum Picture

Name: Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePretender View Post
...if you feel strongly about this you go and see your doctor for a diagnosis. None of us can diagnose you and we're unlikely to be much good for things like this.

If you want to get good advice I suggest you go and see your GP and have a talk with him/her about the symptoms you're experiencing and what they might be. They'll have a lot better advice that should bring things up to speed for you.
This is basically the answer to your question. None of here are physicians, and those online "quizzes" won't tell you anything regarding whether or not you actually have ADD/ADHD.
From what I've heard, this is widely over diagnosed. You could just be a hyperactive person without needing to slap a label on yourself with a fancy acronym, and then receive "treatment" (which, I think is placebo some of the time), for it.

But, of course, I can't, nor can anyone here, tell you for sure. You'll need to see your doctor if this becomes a serious concern.

Mikey was here

Elysium was here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlerchan
WILL HOUSING CRISIS CAUSED BY COMMIE HOMOSEXUALIST-ABORTIONIST MARXIST IMMIGRANTS AND WELFARE CHEATS FROM RACIST ANTI-BRITISH EU CAUSE TB RATE FROM VACCINES TO RISE?!
Old October 24th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Human
VT Lover

Human's Forum Picture

I've tried asking my parents but they don't really believe me. It's kind of stupid.
Old October 26th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #5
tinalmanza

There are people with ADHD who have been diagnosed through EEG. I mean when parents turn to neuropsychologists EEG is done to study brainwave patterns. Brain wave patterns say a lot because the level of concentration and focus can be determined here. Those who turn to Music Therapy have been asked to undergo EEG. Music Therapy was believed by scientists to change brain wave patterns and lead the individual to a more productive life and pursue their interest and passion.
http://music.sound-add-adhd-treatmen...es-music-adhd/
Old March 16th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #6
baseballfan
Junior Member+

Take an online test or talk to a doc. Good luck
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:12 PM   #7
Mirage
Retired GMod

Mirage's Forum Picture

Name: Macks

Bumped.

Stop, that tickles!
Former Global Moderator
Bagels are actually fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus
8:12 PM [Magus] Latah is a great singer.
8:12 PM [Magus] The real singer.
Closed Thread