Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Notices

Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:00 PM   #1
lysiaboy
Junior Member+

lysiaboy's Forum Picture

Name: jamie
Post OCD Help! Not sure if I have it.

Hey everyone, I'm really confused if I have OCD or not. I do online tests and stuff, and I have similar symptoms, but the final result says i'm not OCD. I dunno what to do. Any suggestions?
lysiaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Thunderstorm
Great Poster

Thunderstorm's Forum Picture

Name: Jake
Default Re: OCD Help! Not sure if I have it.

Everyone has something they are OCD about, even the most disorganized people. But you are only actually diagnosed with OCD if you have an above average case of it. Most likely, you do not have it, but don't trust anything you read online. It may be telling you the wrong thing. Go to your docotr and ask him for some real life OCD tests. they cna give you a proper diagnosis.

You'll always be my thunder, so bring on the rain.
Thunderstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Cicero
Banned

Cicero's Forum Picture

Name: Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail.Blazer View Post
Everyone has something they are OCD about, even the most disorganized people. But you are only actually diagnosed with OCD if you have an above average case of it. Most likely, you do not have it, but don't trust anything you read online. It may be telling you the wrong thing. Go to your docotr and ask him for some real life OCD tests. they cna give you a proper diagnosis.
Nooooo
Not everyone has OCD, they have very small things that are OCD. Say your hanging up pictures and one is uneven and it bothers you, that's not really OCD that's called being a perfectionist. You can trust things you read online, but only from trusted sites. WebMD is a great site to look up OCD. But the o ly true way to determine if your OCD or not is to talk to a therapist. The second best way is to talk with someone who has OCD themselves. I have OCD but haven't been medically examined, someone I talked with said that it sounds exactly like OCD, and she would make an educated guess that I have it. Having OCD really isn't fun, there is no average case of OCD. If it were average, it would be average for people who actually have it, not people who don't have it. Examples of OCD are doing rituals. Where you have to repeat doing something or else you get anxiety. Also, how in the world can you say someone has OCD or not!? Are you a doctor or do you have it yourself? Having OCD can be hidden from your closest friends or family. They might get little hints here or there. What this OP says, is 2 sentences long. Here is a good site to look at what it is and what the symptoms are, and here is a great site to ask questions.

As I said, medically, I have not been evaluated, but I have asked many, many people who ACTUALLY have the disorder. Each and every one of them (I've asked about 8 people) have said, I have very strong symptoms of it, and about half of those people say they definitely think I have it. To name just some of my ACTUAL OCD RITUALS, WHICH NOT EVERYONE HAS, is whenever I turn on a light, I have to turn it on/off 5x and each time I hit the light on and off it has to make a sound, and I have to hit the light a certain way as well as a certain hardness (like hitting it at a certain strength). If I don't do it right the first 5x, I have to do it again, and do it again, then again. The rituals of which are my numbers are, 3, 5, and 15. Then the volume on a tv has to be on a certain number (which a lot of people have to, too). Also, if I've used the stove or opened the door, sometimes I'll recheck, then I go up, I feel anxiety, so I'll recheck again, and I do that about 5x, ever since I was a little kid. Checking it once or twice wasn't good enough, I would recheck 5-8x, and I would even be late to school (walking distance)cause I'd check so much. I also have mild germaphobia, there are other things I do, but I won't mention.

So, to me, that doesn't sound like just anyone would have OCD
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Mob Boss
Awesome Poster

Mob Boss's Forum Picture

Name: Bridge

Tacitus basically summed up what I was going to say. OCD is a very complex disorder and a lot of people seem to have very stereotypical misconceptions about it. If you think you have OCD the only way to go about being properly diagnosed is to see a doctor.
Mob Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Wheatley
Member+

Yeah much like Tacticus said, OCD covers a very large range of things. and like Trail Blazer said, a lot of people (if not all) have some degree of OCD. Being a perfectionist is a form of OCD but it should be manageable, unlike other stories where people have hard wired beliefs that they will die if they dont perform a certain routine (this is more medical and needs attenion)

The companion cube is stuffed with dead test subjects D:
Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #6
baseballfan
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysiaboy View Post
Hey everyone, I'm really confused if I have OCD or not. I do online tests and stuff, and I have similar symptoms, but the final result says i'm not OCD. I dunno what to do. Any suggestions?
Try and see a doctor or social worker for a better idea
baseballfan is offline   Reply With Quote