Closed Thread

Old December 10th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #41
kenoloor
hookworm

kenoloor's Forum Picture

Default Re: Rep on this site is out of control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Rebel View Post
I have noticed an increase in the number of posts related to the rep system though... I wonder what that means.
It means bitches are getting bitchier.

Parables and Parasites
Old December 11th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #42
deadpie
S̈́ea Wolf Levḯathaחי

deadpie's Forum Picture

Name: Damien Ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
No, that's how it used to be, but not anymore. These figures are crazy. It needs a fresh start.
YES! NICK IS BACK IN STYLE! Back to the website to complain about every little thing. I think you enjoyed rep when you had the highest rep, lol.

Also, the new admin, Mike, he's pretty fucking awesome. That's why he has that much rep.

I personally just don't neg rep users much anymore unless it's an insanely stupid offensive troll like post. If anything of course something like this would happen on the site and the only difference is that instead of a user joining the site taking a year to get a 100 rep it takes a year to get 150-200 rep now. I think high rep isn't based on how smart or how awesome you are, but about attitude and caring for others on the community.

These are posts qualified for neg rep for example.

If anything, I think people should +rep more users that give advice on VT in the depression forums. It bothers me seeing users give long advice and have only 50-150 rep. That's some true caring and good attitude for the community of this site! That's what deserves rep yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus View Post
You know, there are some sites where people has a rep power of: 45864516864. While some people have a huge long bar of red, as soon he disagree with the people of the higher reps.
Pretty much this. Sites that grow older and larger with reputation abilities eventually get users with over 1,000,000+ rep at times and like a the "newbie" amount of rep goes around one to two thousand rep.

Old December 11th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #43
Jess

Name: Jessica

Quote:
You know, there are some sites where people has a rep power of: 45864516864. While some people have a huge long bar of red, as soon he disagree with the people of the higher reps.
This is true. Some sites use rep a lot more than others, others barely at all. I was member of a few forums where you can easily get a hell a lot of rep pts and power. It's all up to the forum admins, really.
Old December 11th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #44
ackmedsgirl666
Banned

Name: kenz

I hate the rep feature
My boyfriend wrote one post because another member was bashing and he stuck up for himself and somebody with a high rep count docked him 40 points and now he's in the negative. I only just disabled mine and I will only re-enable it when I see some maturity on here. So I agree it's out of control. I hate it. So I'm not gonna bother with it anymore
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:09 AM   #45
TheMatrix
Retired G(M)od

TheMatrix's Forum Picture

Name: Thomas

You know what I suggest?

A spectre is haunting VirtualTeen -- the spectre of communism. All the powers of the internet have entered into a cyber alliance to exorcise this spectre: Admin and Global Moderator, internet user to internet whiz, troll and flamer.

Where is the party in opposition that has not been decried as communistic by its opponents in power? Where is the opposition that has not hurled back the branding reproach of communism, against the more advanced opposition parties, as well as against its reactionary adversaries?

Yes -- you read it right -- that was a modified version of the first few lines of the Communist Manifesto. I suggest making a sort of mini-communist society.
Instead of "Admin", "Moderator", "Global moderator", and the various user titles(bourgeoisie) as well as the "new users" and users with negative reputation(proletarians), we will all just be "Comrade". "Reputation" is like the titles of old Europe: I will no longer be the Tsar of High Reputation, and neither will you.
Post count is like money: we will all have an equal amount of posts, all of which will be communal property.
Private Messages will be abolished: we can't have any Enemies of the State plotting any moves.
You aren't banned: you are simply sent to the mines, never to be seen or heard from again.
Avatars will all be the same: a hammer and sickle on a red background.
There will be an introductions forum: You repeat the chant 3 times, "Hail, the People's Republic of VirtualTeen!".

The bourgeoisie, wherever it has got the upper hand, has put an end to all feudal, patriarchal, idyllic relations. It has pitilessly torn asunder the motley feudal ties that bound man to his “natural superiors”, and has left remaining no other nexus between man and man than naked self-interest, than callous “cash payment”...It has resolved personal worth into exchange value, and in place of the numberless indefeasible chartered freedoms, has set up that single, unconscionable freedom — Free Trade.

So I say: Working users from all forums, unite!

Signature by Jon 'n Mike
Formerly at your service as GD Moderator(2011-2012) and Global Moderator(2012-2014).
Quote:
Originally Posted by The chat, sometime in November 2011
4:22 PM [idkgay] what does infract men i mesan realy ppl use english
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsethfitz View Post
You are so foolish and "OFF TOPIC" as you mods always like to jump at stuff about.
~Ron was here~
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:12 AM   #46
Magus
Mercurai's Priestess

Magus's Forum Picture

Name: Fae, The Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
Where is the party in opposition that has not been decried as communistic by its opponents in power? Where is the opposition that has not hurled back the branding reproach of communism, against the more advanced opposition parties, as well as against its reactionary adversaries?[/SIZE]
Viva La Revolution, Tovarisch!

Let us strive for a stateless, classless society based on mutual understanding!
Old December 11th, 2012, 03:24 AM   #47
Iron Man
U.S. Navy

Iron Man's Forum Picture

Name: Skyler*

Here is something that I wish would happen: How about, you know, everyone just shuts up about rep, and we can go about our lives? Of course rep has inflated since 2009, but that was 2009. Its not like rep can be used as currency here. To some, it is like having a chest full of medals. To others, they are just green blocks under your details. If someone gives you neg rep for a stupid reason, ignore it. There will always be people in your life that give you a hard time. Letting it get to you just gives them ammo.

"Its not the top that's douchey. Its the person wearing it."
-Charles, on striped tank tops.

I own Harry Styles.
Old December 11th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #48
Conn0r
totally buggin'

Conn0r's Forum Picture

Name: Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Rebel View Post
I have noticed an increase in the number of posts related to the rep system though... I wonder what that means.
i think people with low rep are just mad or something idk but its not working.

fun fact my rep is 420 smoke weed everhyday i am laughing ty tom hanks omfg

life isn't that hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nice
I'd say yolo to having fun at a party and dancing wildly (but not slutty dancing) or having like one jello shot
Old December 11th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #49
nick
Legendary Member

nick's Forum Picture

Name: Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpie View Post
I think you enjoyed rep when you had the highest rep, lol.
I've never had the highest rep, I was probably in the top 10 at the time I stopped posting regularly but not in the top 3 or 4.
Old December 11th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #50
Wonder.
Awesome Poster

Why doesn't this site just switch to a "thanks" system where it just shows how many times you were thanked. No positive or negative, no weighted system, just when you're thanked, the number goes up by one. It's probably the best option if you want to keep a system in place without people complaining.

.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•
Old December 11th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #51
Iron Man
U.S. Navy

Iron Man's Forum Picture

Name: Skyler*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTockClock View Post
Why doesn't this site just switch to a "thanks" system where it just shows how many times you were thanked. No positive or negative, no weighted system, just when you're thanked, the number goes up by one. It's probably the best option if you want to keep a system in place without people complaining.
There will always be someone that complains about "Making helpful posts and not getting credit for them". So, when someone with 5 thank you power comes along and sees someone with 150 thank you power, if they really are that immature, they are going to bitch and moan about it.

"Its not the top that's douchey. Its the person wearing it."
-Charles, on striped tank tops.

I own Harry Styles.
Old December 12th, 2012, 04:26 AM   #52
Magus
Mercurai's Priestess

Magus's Forum Picture

Name: Fae, The Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
There will always be someone that complains about "Making helpful posts and not getting credit for them". So, when someone with 5 thank you power comes along and sees someone with 150 thank you power, if they really are that immature, they are going to bitch and moan about it.
Not at all. I haven't seen this with forums that has the 'thank you' system.
Old December 12th, 2012, 04:33 AM   #53
Rayquaza
Sky High Pokémon

Quote:
Not at all. I haven't seen this with forums that has the 'thank you' system.
I also agree with this.

XDA Forums have the thank you system, and it works really well. Of course you'll get people saying "Dont forget to press thanks", which is just as desperate as the people on this forum writing stuff like "I love rep" or "I will rep back" in their signatures. At least it means no one can have minus of it, since a lot of people complain about how it's hard for them to recover from minus rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
Here is something that I wish would happen: How about, you know, everyone just shuts up about rep, and we can go about our lives?
So you're willing to tell every single new member this? Besides, you're adding fuel to the fire by posting here too.
Old December 12th, 2012, 08:49 AM   #54
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike

Being nasty and sarcastic isn't helping the situation at all, so I ask that you stop. Telling people to "shut up" and "get over it" is not how we go about things here. There is clearly an issue and it is not being ignored -- I just ask that we all go about it maturely.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
Old December 12th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #55
Human
VT Lover

Human's Forum Picture

I don't think having high rep is as important a problem as abuse of rep
Old December 12th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #56
Mirage
Retired GMod

Mirage's Forum Picture

Name: Macks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBear View Post
I don't see the problem with someone having a high rep. Especially if they are earning it through honest and good postings.
Exactly. That's because there is no problem at all.

Stop, that tickles!
Former Global Moderator
Bagels are actually fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus
8:12 PM [Magus] Latah is a great singer.
8:12 PM [Magus] The real singer.
Old December 12th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #57
Carlyle
Great Poster

Carlyle's Forum Picture

Name: Austin

I'm really unsure of what the rep situation was before I joined last year (holy fuck, over a year already), but I feel like it's been a joke since then, maybe even before that. All it is anymore is a popularity contest for most people, but there are a few people here on the site that I feel do have their rep well deserved. Mikey, for example, does have some very quality post and does a lot of work for the site (He made it from mod > gmod > admin in approx. 1 year, that has to count for something), then there's deadpie, who is possibly the biggest ass on the site itself, who has his rep so high for lord knows what reason.

Honestly, its not what it use to be back before my time, now its just a number. Its nice to see go up, but its not like you're a legend for having a huge amount. That is, until someone hits 1k rep for the first time..
Old December 12th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #58
nick
Legendary Member

nick's Forum Picture

Name: Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ramses View Post
I'm really unsure of what the rep situation was before I joined last year (holy fuck, over a year already), but I feel like it's been a joke since then, maybe even before that. All it is anymore is a popularity contest for most people, but there are a few people here on the site that I feel do have their rep well deserved. Mikey, for example, does have some very quality post and does a lot of work for the site (He made it from mod > gmod > admin in approx. 1 year, that has to count for something), then there's deadpie, who is possibly the biggest ass on the site itself, who has his rep so high for lord knows what reason.

Honestly, its not what it use to be back before my time, now its just a number. Its nice to see go up, but its not like you're a legend for having a huge amount. That is, until someone hits 1k rep for the first time..
I didn't foresee this thread turning into a who deserves what thread and don't think that's particularly helpful or appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoolBeans View Post
Being nasty and sarcastic isn't helping the situation at all, so I ask that you stop. Telling people to "shut up" and "get over it" is not how we go about things here. There is clearly an issue and it is not being ignored -- I just ask that we all go about it maturely.
I haven't been bothered or upset by any of the responses made to me here in the thread. I'm glad you acknowledge there is an issue, that's really all I wanted to raise so in that sense this thread has served it's purpose. Given that it seems to be descending into discussion of individuals merit I'm happy for this to be locked before it goes further downhill.
Old December 12th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #59
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
Given that it seems to be descending into discussion of individuals merit I'm happy for this to be locked before it goes further downhill.
Due to that, this post was going to bring that result anyway.

This thread was not made to single people out and pick them apart -- and I'm not too thrilled that it has turned into just that. You guys are well aware of the rules here; there is no excuse for it.

As nick has requested, this will now be locked.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
Closed Thread