Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old August 26th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #1
aprilshowers
Junior Member+

Default Telling the parents...

Has anyone here needed to tell their parents that you think that you have schizophrenia? How did you go about it? I think I'm schizophrenic, but I don't know how to tell my parents. So nervous...
aprilshowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #2
ColourMeScarred13

ColourMeScarred13's Forum Picture

Name: Grace
Default Re: Telling the parents...

I have never experienced this but I can understand what you're going through and I'm sure it's one of the trickiest things to deal with. If you do feel as if you are schizophrenic, don't hesitate to get help. It is always better if you act before something happens, before they find out themselves and I know it's so difficult to talk about and to open up about. You don't have to tell the whole world, just the people you trust most. They will understand and help you through it, but I wouldn't worry yourself about it too much. Maybe try talking to the person you trust most because even if it isn't this, there are many people who will support you through this. It also depends on the severity of it though, because it's a slow process to develop, but if you feel it's gone on for too long just try talking through it with them. Explain everything that's been happening to you and perhaps ask if this is normal. Say how this is worrying you because they can't deny helping you. Again I don't know how badly it's affecting your life, it differs from person to person. But do try to remember that you are special and if you are schizophrenic nobody will judge you or think of you differently, and you should feel no shame if you do. People are always there to listen and help you, and my advice to you would be to maybe keep a diary of how it's affecting your life. Have a look back on it and then you'll be able to figure out which way to tell them. Just take things slowly, and don't rush into it until you're absolutely certain. Don't let others patronize you because of this, or look down on you as you Above all I hope you can overcome this and are able to live your life happily. Wishing you lots of luck, you'll be fine xxxxxxxxxxx <3

Sometimes you need to run away just to see who will follow you....

Last edited by ColourMeScarred13; August 28th, 2012 at 03:54 AM.
ColourMeScarred13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 10:12 AM   #3
SmexiLexie510

SmexiLexie510's Forum Picture

Name: Lexie

I think if you were schizophrenic your parents would know to be honest. It is not a condition that is unnoticeable, it can be very severe and obvious, ie- zoning out, talking about things that aren't real, talking to people when they're not there, etc. I am sure they would have noticed. If you have concerns I would just sit down and talk to them, if you are then I am sure they would've mentioned something not being quite right before but go ahead if you feel that there is something wrong. I just wouldn't jump to conclusions, that's all, most schizophrenic's do not realise they are schizophrenic and that's the point- not being able to differentiate real life from hallucinations. best of luck,

You gotta stand for something or you'll fall for anything <3

Leyland, Jace, Laina, Dustin, Tristan, Maicyn, Camryn, Jamie, Isaac, Zack, Landon, Gracie, Tanner and Flynn <3
SmexiLexie510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #4
redknight
Junior Member+

redknight's Forum Picture

Name: Morty

way to go man, for me it was odd, but i told them ,what was wrong with me, and they never i wasnt lie, so i saw a doctor and ya... doing better now

im shizo & str8 that all im putting here i think or im i? Part from my book coming out never eggeggeggeggeggeggeggeggegg maybe?
redknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #5
aprilshowers
Junior Member+

Hey guys!
Thanks for your support! I told my parents, and I'm gonna be seeing someone about this soon. I can tell they think it's just stress and lack of sleep, but I'm glad I told them. =D
aprilshowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #6
redknight
Junior Member+

redknight's Forum Picture

Name: Morty

way too goo

im shizo & str8 that all im putting here i think or im i? Part from my book coming out never eggeggeggeggeggeggeggeggegg maybe?
redknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #7
Fable

Fable's Forum Picture

Name: Matthew

way to go man!

feel free to talk to me, i like meeting new people.

Life's journeys are endless

They better run and hide, cause im a
MONSTER IM A BEAST!
Fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #8
SchizLife

SchizLife's Forum Picture

I told my parents and asked them for help when I was about 21 years old. My mom was nice about it but didn't really know what to do or say. My dad basically told me that those types of things don't exist and that psychology is fake and I should be tough and stop playing pretend.

^ I felt sad for him at the time, not angry. You could sense the fear in him, afraid of losing control to his own mind.

Later, he started having some psychological problems and eventually apologized to me.

You have to go down these roads of life, regardless. Face them without fear and they tend to work out in the end.

Good job on confronting your parents. I'm glad it went good for you. Best of luck!

SchizLife.com - Living With Schizophrenia
SchizLife is offline   Reply With Quote