Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old August 9th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #21
NotASpyingRent
Member+

NotASpyingRent's Forum Picture

Name: J
Default Re: Deleting threads & posts

I'm talking more along the lines of privacy in terms of posts and threads made. I don't see an option for that. Maybe i'm not looking hard enough...

Uh?
Old August 9th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #22
StoppingTime
Retired Administrator

StoppingTime's Forum Picture

Name: Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotASpyingRent View Post
I'm talking more along the lines of privacy in terms of posts and threads made. I don't see an option for that. Maybe i'm not looking hard enough...
What do you mean, exactly? Who can and cannot see your posts?

Mikey was here

Elysium was here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlerchan
WILL HOUSING CRISIS CAUSED BY COMMIE HOMOSEXUALIST-ABORTIONIST MARXIST IMMIGRANTS AND WELFARE CHEATS FROM RACIST ANTI-BRITISH EU CAUSE TB RATE FROM VACCINES TO RISE?!
Old August 9th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #23
Bath
VT Lover

Bath's Forum Picture

Name: Bethany

If you would like a thread of yours deleted or locked, just report it and request it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The LOLer View Post
Ohhhh.... :/ I feel stupider then a 12 year old who just got a 5 year old pregnant
My diary, come take a bath.
Tumblr

Mikey was here<3
Old August 9th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #24
Jess

Name: Jessica

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotASpyingRent View Post
no, I don't think that's possible. Guests can't access The White Padded Room, but they can access other sections
Old August 11th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #25
DerBear
Retired H&A Mod

DerBear's Forum Picture

Name: Derri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
no, I don't think that's possible. Guests can't access The White Padded Room, but they can access other sections
Actually now users can request there diary to be hidden from the general board as well. So that is another private place.

Retired Help & Advice Mod

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to send me a PM.
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:06 AM   #26
anymasy

Name: B.... / Wanna know all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
What about a 'soft' deletion? So, the button says delete, but what really happens is that it replaces all the text in the box with "This post has been deleted by (username).", that could work maybe. Admins and Mods could do a reverse search to see what the text said before hand, since they would know because of the "This post..." text that will come up. It could also remove the reputation and edit buttons too?
Great idea. But it shouldn't remove rep i think.
Old August 15th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #27
DerBear
Retired H&A Mod

DerBear's Forum Picture

Name: Derri

Quote:
Originally Posted by anymasy View Post
Great idea. But it shouldn't remove rep i think.
Well if you looked one posts down you would have seen Mike's excellent response to the quote you quoted and I whole heatedly agree with the following quote made by Mike.

Quote:
To be honest, giving you guys a soft delete option is a terrible idea. It would be ideal if every post made was seen, but that's not always the case. Lets say you say some really nasty things, ask to cam, or break other rules, then soft delete it so it doesn't get reported, but a moderator doesn't get to see it because the thread just got overlooked or the thread died down, then you're getting away with breaking the rules.

If you want something gone, report it. Simple as that.
Either PM us or report the post and a mod shall take care of it.

Retired Help & Advice Mod

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to send me a PM.
Old August 30th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #28
NotASpyingRent
Member+

I don't mean to step on any toes here, but this problem of thread privacy has just been one little quirk of using this forum. The privacy I'm talking about is like what Facebook has introduced and possibly mastered. Those that use Facebook know that you can set as limited of a profile or timeline as you want by choosing privacy for public wall posts, birthdays, friends, and even gender. That is sort of what I was hinting to if that helps.

What I'm trying to accomplish is possibly set privacy levels on things like threads created or responded to. Right now, I believe anyone can find out threads made and whatnot without even having a login. I may be wrong, but it's hard to verify when you're already logged in. I just think this is a little bit concerning for those who might want a little more privacy. I, for one, would feel more comfortable with a little bit more control over what can be seen by anyone just browsing the site, and I think that other members of this community would benefit, too.

Uh?
Old August 30th, 2012, 02:38 AM   #29
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike

Without registering or logging in you cannot view user profiles, search for specific users, search for threads started by users, you cannot view other posts by users and you cannot view any information other than what you see in this photo:

I logged out to take that screen shot. You'll notice that I cannot view your other posts, profile or your reputation level without logging in or registering. Any information you share in your signature, your location and given name is all on you. That is up to you whether you'd like to post it or not.

There are privacy options in the user CP under "Profile Privacy" (click me) if you would like to make your profile even more secure as far as hiding information from registered members who you have not yet befriended on the site and added to your contact list. In all honesty there is very little an unregistered member can see about you unless you dish out your personal information in your signature or are overly descriptive with your name and location.

As far as threads go, making threads/sections private isn't necessary and probably will take away from the site as a whole. A lot of people view the forums without signing up, and sometimes regularly. People can get help out of the site without actually registering; but hiding information from them will nix that. If you make sections private or make the majority of threads private then what can those people get from it? Or what would draw them into the site?

This isn't a reoccurring suggestion and I don't think many people agree with you, seeing as most of the people who have been posting in this thread are way off topic or seem to think that you're talking about soft deletion of posts - which you have clarified that you are not at this point.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
Old August 30th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #30
NotASpyingRent
Member+

Okay, I think that pretty much puts this to bed. Thank you all for putting up with my endless suggestions and complaints.

Uh?
Old August 31st, 2012, 08:16 AM   #31
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
Closed Thread