Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old November 10th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #1
amscramhick
Junior Member+

Name: Amber
Default ADHD without medication

Ever since I was little, I've been really overly hyper and talkative and I have the worst time when it comes to paying attention. When I was younger I told my mom I thought I had ADHD. She said I don't that there's nothing wrong with me. Well my hyperness and inattentiveness continued through the years and has gotten worse. I can never listen to a full discussion in school, I zone out and think of other things. I can pick up bits here and there but that's it. And if you talk to me, even if I really am listening and hear you perfectly fine, sometimes I won't remember what you said even 30 seconds later. For instance my mom will give me specific instructions to make dinner when she isn't there. And I'll have to call and ask something stupid like "how much rice to water?" And we talked about it again recently and my mom definitely thinks I DO have ADHD. But she'd never medicate me for it because I get good grades and my sister was on ADHD medication as a kid and it turned her into a zombie. They say with ADHD without medication it's hard to function, what I wanna know is is there anyone else like myself who has or probably has ADHD and isn't on medication for it? How does it effect you?
amscramhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #2
otrapersonak2nosabes

Default Re: ADHD without medication

Ive been off my normal meds for two weeks now. It is killing my grades, putting me through hell, and causing more stress than ever. I was on a pretty low dosage for me. Because I didn't want dependency or zombieness. But it forced me to put effort into working. Now I can't focus on anything in school. I take hours to work, and I can't even hang out because I forget to plan it out. Its terrible. I recommend medicine. It helps. But you just have to try what works for you. Ive heard counciling works for severe cases. Not for me...
otrapersonak2nosabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #3
Unsolvedmind
Nice Poster

Unsolvedmind's Forum Picture

Name: Jeremy
Thumbs up Re: ADHD without medication

Quote:
Originally Posted by amscramhick View Post
Ever since I was little, I've been really overly hyper and talkative and I have the worst time when it comes to paying attention. When I was younger I told my mom I thought I had ADHD. She said I don't that there's nothing wrong with me. Well my hyperness and inattentiveness continued through the years and has gotten worse. I can never listen to a full discussion in school, I zone out and think of other things. I can pick up bits here and there but that's it. And if you talk to me, even if I really am listening and hear you perfectly fine, sometimes I won't remember what you said even 30 seconds later. For instance my mom will give me specific instructions to make dinner when she isn't there. And I'll have to call and ask something stupid like "how much rice to water?" And we talked about it again recently and my mom definitely thinks I DO have ADHD. But she'd never medicate me for it because I get good grades and my sister was on ADHD medication as a kid and it turned her into a zombie. They say with ADHD without medication it's hard to function, what I wanna know is is there anyone else like myself who has or probably has ADHD and isn't on medication for it? How does it effect you?
I am exactly the same as you so your not alone! People like us just have a extra challange in life

I am Unsolvedmind and I approve my post!
I Am Bisexual
Be yourself and people will accept for who you are and you will always be loved
Unsolvedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #4
PandaLeah
Nice Poster

PandaLeah's Forum Picture

Name: Leah

I am also ADHD without meds, I have learned how to adapt to my hyperactivity moods.

- Leah
F / Lez / Oregon

Feel free to message me, I don't bite.

Sorry guys, I only talk or message girls

PandaLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 03:46 PM   #5
AMJ9

Name: Al

Although not confirmed by my phsychatrist, my doctor, parents and teachers are unanimous in thinking I had ADHD. We have a room in our school called the steam room. It's not a sauna, but we're allowed to go in there if we are in a hyper mood. Seeing as my psych has not confirmed it, I can't be prescribed any meds. They are trialling me on behaviour therapy, to see if I can control my ways. So far, so good! I'm doing amazing, getting fab grades! So it is possible, to get by, as I have! But everyone is different, talk to your doctor, or SENCO, or even parents!
AMJ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 05:25 PM   #6
Coolcar65

Name: Luis Aka Jack

I actually have ADHD but instead of pills i drink coffee.... it contains caffine which is what the pills contain and it gives you the same kind of calming effect. You just have to find something that works for you.
Coolcar65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 05:16 PM   #7
pepe78

Adderall is amazing. Just take it. You'll see.
pepe78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #8
Nicotine888

i agree with Damiansboss ^^ adderalls pretty awesome but it really depends on how you functioned with out it. like if you worked better without medication wouldnt it make more sence not to take it? lol for me it just helps me center my attention better lol

"I don't want to make money, i just want to be wonderful." -Marilyn Monroe
Nicotine888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #9
fancy

fancy's Forum Picture

Name: Eric

i have adhd and i did take meds but i got worse on them. i have been off them for about 6 years. i learned how to keep my self on tast. life is not easy with adhd if you can not countrole your self.

my name is Eric , i am 13 , i am bi , and it is fun
fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #10
Zenithar

Zenithar's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by otrapersonak2nosabes View Post
Ive been off my normal meds for two weeks now. It is killing my grades, putting me through hell, and causing more stress than ever. I was on a pretty low dosage for me. Because I didn't want dependency or zombieness. But it forced me to put effort into working. Now I can't focus on anything in school. I take hours to work, and I can't even hang out because I forget to plan it out. Its terrible. I recommend medicine. It helps. But you just have to try what works for you. Ive heard counciling works for severe cases. Not for me...
This is exactly how I was. EXACTLY. My grades hit the ditch which caused me stress. The original reason I didn't want to take them was exactly that - I did not want the zombieness. And indeed, I did have to put at least 10x more effort to even match other students.
Zenithar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #11
Bluerhino666
Junior Member+

Name: noah

I also have had that problem but then i started thinking and add/ adhd pills contain hi amounts of caffine,which is a stimulate and if you have add or adhd your mind is over stimulated so when you take pills for it it kinda shuts your mind off by making it crash turning you into a zombie. But when you have coffee or something like that it only calms your mind.less cafine.

Last edited by Bluerhino666; February 12th, 2012 at 03:24 AM. Reason: misspelings
Bluerhino666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:35 AM   #12
Caver
Member++

Caver's Forum Picture

Name: Verity

See a doctor and get medication! It will help you with school, and if your mum says she doesn't think theres nothing wrong with you - say just lets see what the doctors say.
Caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #13
seussy

First and foremost, even if one can see signs of ADHD in a person, it's still best to be diagnosed by a proper physician. Taking in medication may or may not work for a person with ADHD, oftentimes, it creates more of a disadvantage for ADHD sufferers. Previously, I have read about ADHD treatments that have worked for various people with ADHD here. There are those who prefer a combination of therapy and medication while others prefer taking meds alone. Again, what matters is what works best for you.

Last edited by seussy; May 15th, 2012 at 09:42 AM.
seussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #14
EverandaDay

EverandaDay's Forum Picture

Name: Chris

I can usually control myself without meds, but I have a relatively minor case of ADHD.

Uno Dos Tres Cuatro Cinco Cinco Ses
EverandaDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #15
swimmerboy95

swimmerboy95's Forum Picture

Name: Alex

I can control myself quite well without it. Now granted, my ADD/ADHD is not severe but when I take my meds i am definitely not a zombie, just a little bit quieter. I'm also able to think better but talk to a doctor. It all just depends on what they put you on.

Name: Alex
On here pretty often so PM me if you wanna talk!
Not a fan of any drugs or alcohol.
swimmerboy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 04:09 AM   #16
lucycarter

Name: Lucy

There are some activities here in which a child can be treated without the use of drugs and medications.

Children with ADHD does not always need pharmaceutical medication to treat his or her symptoms. Medications may work for some people but not for others. It is not the only way to manage ADHD symptoms..
lucycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 11:12 AM   #17
GoofyGal13

Name: Maddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by damiansboss View Post
Adderall is amazing. Just take it. You'll see.
Ok, I just want to get something straight. I've been trying different ADHD meds since I was 8. And let me tell you, Adderall made me worse. And I have a friend who has ADHD, and nothing works for him. And I mean nothing. Not everything that works well for one person works well for everyone else.
GoofyGal13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #18
ImmaLion

Name: mallory

Some medicine not only causes what you call zombieness, but can also cause you to lack hunger. you can react to different medicines. BUT also depending on what enviroment you live in can affect if you need medicine. some poeple can function without meds in a stressful location but not all can. and if you have a perfect enviroment thats great! and im sure you wil be fine, because you sound like you doing just fine without them
ImmaLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2012, 02:11 AM   #19
Saxman15

Name: Luke
Thumbs up Re: ADHD without medication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsolvedmind View Post
I am exactly the same as you so your not alone! People like us just have a extra challange in life
I have ADHD but I take medication for it. If I forget to take it I can never focus or sit still. On the other hand, when I'm on the meds it feels like I'm able to focus. I take adderall <--I think that's how you spell it. I only have a problem with the side effects...I never eat as much as I should. In other words, I rarely eat lunch.
Saxman15 is offline   Reply With Quote